• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Is that an original scope and mount? I know the rifle is but there are reproduction scopes and mounts floating around. If they are original the price isn’t to bad since a USGI M1D can run 5-7k
    It us an original scope with Italian made mounts. These are the real deal and worth every penny if you collect Garands or snipers. Ordered mine the instant they posted them. I have a buddy that was working on bringing them in early last year but the paperwork got to be a bit much. IIRC only 150 where set to be imported, but they are also spelling them in Canada and I do not know if they are some of the 150. The one complete with scope and transit case where marked sold out last evening , all that are left are the scopless ones, though a M84 and usgi mount should work on them.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Oh, and an en-block clip is an en-block clip is an en-block clip...
    Believe it or not people collect En Blocs too. They were made by many manufacturers and countries during and after the war. This is one box of mine.

Attachments

• E8F9D410-538D-484B-BF2B-C7322C2442B3.jpeg
      E8F9D410-538D-484B-BF2B-C7322C2442B3.jpeg
      2 MB · Views: 4
    • 638D5273-F11A-4E55-BE3B-FEEE3120A517.jpeg
      638D5273-F11A-4E55-BE3B-FEEE3120A517.jpeg
      3.3 MB · Views: 3
    • 6489AF3D-AC19-4F06-892B-B4D0B77DA67A.jpeg
      6489AF3D-AC19-4F06-892B-B4D0B77DA67A.jpeg
      2.1 MB · Views: 3

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    It us an original scope with Italian made mounts. These are the real deal and worth every penny if you collect Garands or snipers. Ordered mine the instant they posted them. I have a buddy that was working on bringing them in early last year but the paperwork got to be a bit much. IIRC only 150 where set to be imported, but they are also spelling them in Canada and I do not know if they are some of the 150. The one complete with scope and transit case where marked sold out last evening , all that are left are the scopless ones, though a M84 and usgi mount should work on them.
    That makes a difference then. The original scopes/mounts are really getting expensive. I have an original D with an aftermarket scope and then a D that was built for sniper matches. I have a 3rd one that was built during Korea but it needs scope and mount. Amazing what those guys could do with those rifles back then. I have 03A4s in similar condition, 1 original with no scope and one Gibbs build.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    That makes a difference then. The original scopes/mounts are really getting expensive. I have an original D with an aftermarket scope and then a D that was built for sniper matches. I have a 3rd one that was built during Korea but it needs scope and mount. Amazing what those guys could do with those rifles back then. I have 03A4s in similar condition, 1 original with no scope and one Gibbs build.
    From what the GCA has said they are original USGI M1D' that had there barrels removed to shorten the chamber to 308 to bring them in line with NATO ammo requirements. This required the removal of the scope mounting block. After the barrels where shortened the scope mounting block was put back on them. What isn't clear is why the Italians made new mounts unless it has something to do with eye relief.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    From what the GCA has said they are original USGI M1D' that had there barrels removed to shorten the chamber to 308 to bring them in line with NATO ammo requirements. This required the removal of the scope mounting block. After the barrels where shortened the scope mounting block was put back on them. What isn't clear is why the Italians made new mounts unless it has something to do with eye relief.
    The mounting collar fits right up to the front of the receiver so unless they just wanted a different mount or scope the caliber shouldn’t matter. All of mine are in the original 30-06 so I’m not familiar with the 308. Don’t really know if I’ve ever looked at one. I’ve seen regular M1s converted with both the chamber adaptors or by rebarreling for the Navy. Interesting topic.

Edit: I looked at pic again and that looks like the same mount I have but the scope sits farther forward. I’ll have to dig mine out and look a bit closer.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I really question as if any of these were true m1d garlands, I have 2 m1d's and 1 m1c, and also have a bm 62 that is a beretta I only paid 350.00 for it years ago. I think anyone that purchases one of those italian 308's at those prices must have a lot of expendable income and just has to have it, it wouldn't be worth those prices to me though!

djeinpoco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2021
    Michiana Shores
    For those concerned over authentic USGI parts on Italian rifles it gets compicated. The US-made Italian M1 rifles and carbines were lend lease rifles. They were always US property on loan to our allies. Conversely, once they were returned to the US Army they went back into US Army armories with lots of Italian made parts which are now technically USGI. Collectors scorn them in their quest for all orignal parts. The Bredas also had lots of USGI parts mixed in as well.

Top Bottom