• ...and so much more!
  • DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    It is no surprise to me at all.
    When elcheapo brass case 119fmj 9mm surpassed $25/50 I was 100% confident $1 a round was coming and sooner than later
    Bought my last 9mm about 7-8 months ago paid $33/50 for 124grn Speer GD and was astonished I got such a great price
    This ammo shortage IMHO is going to last a very very long time and the prices quite possibly will never return to anything approaching pre PLANdemic prices
    If as I am 98% certain Madam comrade president will come after the entire firearm and ammunition industry on all levels almost if not immediately after the inauguration it will if anything actually get worse
    I literally thank all mighty God every day I reload and stocked up long ago
    I am saddened when I can not even afford to sell reloading components to friends who much to late have recently bought presses and dies but can not find primers or limited numbers of powders. Back when GWB was POTUS and again when Trump got in
    I warned strongly and repeatedly advised my friends who shoot HG's and other fun guns to all at the very least splurge less than $300 for a Lee Classic 4 hole turret press to get into reloading and buy AT LEAST 1k pieces of new 9mm brass 20k SMHG primers and 8lbs of HG powder and if unwilling to buy bulk 9mm 22lr or 223 at all possible also buy 1 -2 mags and 500/22lr 100-300 rounds of 9mm and 60-100 rounds of 223 a month beyond what they normally shot and set it all aside and not use it for "Just in case" but sadly and unbelievably not one listened or did any I advised.
    Now most (90%) of my friends have less than 200 rounds of anything.

Last edited:

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    Every pull of the reloading press lever is saving me money. Two years ago I heard here that reloading 9 mm was a waste of time. Now every round is saving me 50 cents each. Or more. Sure, I can't sell them, but I also don't have to buy any. Just made 100 this afternoon, and 400 last Saturday.
    It's precisely how I justified now to invest in upgrading to a Dillon RL1100 platform... as I have put off reloading to only few times a year (2019) when prices were extremely low, $8.99 for 9mm Blazer and Midway had primers at $30 per thousand with free hazmat. At the time I thought... I don't need primers, why bother. I'm glad I didn't listen to myself and picked up 20K primers. I have alot of reloading to do and cutting my time in half from my XL750 output, is extremely rewarding right now!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I had a pop-up ad from Gunbroker show up on my computer a little bit ago. Just for the fun of it I went to their site and checked out some of the listings for 9mm ammo. Attached is a snapshot of one offering. I’m not saying this is was the only price point, but the price per round was more common than not. Granted there didn’t seem to be a bid yet - but apparently the seller optimistic he may get a few customers. View attachment 121025
    Damn. It's almost like the INGO classifieds at this point.

I kid, I kid...

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    This sort of thing happens every 3-5 years. Unless your completely new to shooting I dont understand why you don't have ammo. I started reloading after the last "panic". I would go to Cabellas once a month and buy a box of primers and a 500 count box of Berrys bullets in different calibers. A box of Hornaday HP bullets Bought powder and brass at Bobcat. Went next door to rual king and bought a brick of .22 for like 25 bucks. I'm not bragging or shaming but you should have known what happens. It happens regularly.
    If it ever goes back to "Normal" buy and buy as often as your budget or wife will allow. Why? It WILL happen again.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    He probably has listings under a different username for $500, and is using one shill account to drive business to the other.
    Prolly not. I poked around on GB for large rifle primers just for s&g and they were going for 33¢ to 50¢ per primer in lots of 1000 to 5000 and they had a bid history

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Prolly not. I poked around on GB for large rifle primers just for s&g and they were going for 33¢ to 50¢ per primer in lots of 1000 to 5000 and they had a bid history
    223 in the classies is going for $1.30 ea.

This is insane.

And several sellers are only here to reap the harvest of fear and manipulate a shortage.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    On GB that usually means how many they have to sell if it is fixed price and not an auction. If it was an auction, it would say how many boxes/rounds you were bidding on
    RE: primers...I always like to apply the "buy it now" filter and have a pass to see how bad things really are. I remember seeing $75/1000 locally and thinking, "that is stupid, but it's gonna get worse!" and snapping them up. I ain't as smart as the guys who laid six-figures in early, but I ain't as coo-coo as the guys scrambling to find them now. :)

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    My LGS raised 9mm FMJ from $30 to $35 for 50 rounds (Scorpio, which, I believe is owned by S&B)... Does it suck? Yes, it does. Do I pop in now and then and buy a box when I can afford to (which is all they will sell me unless I’m using it on their indoor range, then they will sell me two boxes)? Yes, I do. Am I afraid we will have been glad to pay this six months from now? Yes, I am.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    RE: primers...I always like to apply the "buy it now" filter and have a pass to see how bad things really are. I remember seeing $75/1000 locally and thinking, "that is stupid, but it's gonna get worse!" and snapping them up. I ain't as smart as the guys who laid six-figures in early, but I ain't as coo-coo as the guys scrambling to find them now. :)
    Just seen a Gunbroker auction a few days ago where 5000 primers sold for $1675 plus $50 shipping! And another where two boxes of Aguila 357 Magnum sold for $235. No way I'll pay anywhere remotely close to those prices in this lifetime.

bcsatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Farmland
    Most people don't have spare cash to spend on stock up amounts of ammo or all the necessary reloading components. Those folks are the ones that get screwed by the hoarders that are buying it for no reason other than to let it collect dust. I have a feast or famine approach as I fall into the "Who the hell has spare money for ammo when you need to pay bills to keep your house."

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Just seen a Gunbroker auction a few days ago where 5000 primers sold for $1675 plus $50 shipping! And another where two boxes of Aguila 357 Magnum sold for $235. No way I'll pay anywhere remotely close to those prices in this lifetime.
    That is crazy! I topped out around $70 to $100/1000 just because I knew it was going to get worse and the extra $40 - $60/1000 "penalty" I paid for not being prepared beforehand was acceptable. I will take up archery before I go above that level.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Tis nuts. before it got this bad i bought 1k 9mm for $240. He had more and raised to $300. i scoffed and didn't buy them for i should be set. I know i should have bought cases of primers this summer at an auction. Hind sight is 20/20 as they say.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    Great chance to dry fire and shoot your .22's sitting in the back of the closet. I wish I had a better answer for you, but at this point I don't. I will now be alternating range trips between the M&P22 and my regular AR. The days of blasting through rounds are over.

Practice for me is going to be very thought out, and intentional. I will be writing down some type of plan for the range trips to maximize my training with less ammo.
    I've got enough 22 to run through my 15-22 for about 10 years, so I guess my 5.56 is going to collect dust until I really need it or princess come way down! I've only got around 2k 5.56 and that's already way less that I feel I need in storage.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My son came to see me today showing me his favorite 338 Lapua Magnum ammo went up in price to $7.65 a round. Luckily I reload for him and save him around $6 a round. I told him his ammunition is the current price of silver per ounce.;)

Top Bottom