• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I ordered some ammo from TX and it was shipped by FedEx and arrived in Indianapolis. FedEx sends the package to the USPS who delivered it to my house today. My postman delivered the ammo to my home, but is this legal?

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    I ordered some ammo from TX and it was shipped by FedEx and arrived in Indianapolis. FedEx sends the package to the USPS who delivered it to my house today. My postman delivered the ammo to my home, but is this legal?

I'd simply be happy I got my ammo and it wasn't stolen, lost, or delivered to someone else.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie

It is legal because Smartpost goes via FedEx Ground, thus it doesn't get on a plane. ORM-D shipments are no longer permitted on planes, but they can go on trucks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

This is something that really bugs me. you have to pay for FedEx to ship. you also have to pay for USPS to deliver.
    I have had USPS deliver a FedEX package as a FedEX truck drives by.
    I have also had many packages delivered by FedEx to my house.
    I have asked the local postmaster why. she would not give me and explanation. It was just a contract thing.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is something that really bugs me. you have to pay for FedEx to ship. you also have to pay for USPS to deliver.
    I have asked the local postmaster why. she would not give me and explanation. It was just a contract thing.

I'd simply be happy I got my ammo and it wasn't stolen, lost, or delivered to someone else.

:yesway:

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    But it isn't an individual that's doing this.

Mere mortals cannot just go to the USPS and ship a handgun either - yet an FFL-holder can. And they do. A lot.

Actually, that depends on the state. In Indiana, the shipment must either go to or from an FFL which is why you can get a label from S&W or Colt or Cobra, etc. and take the package into FedEx, UPS, etc., and, once it's fixed, FedEx, UPS, etc. will deliver it to your house.

Basically, the USPS pays FedEx to transport a large portion of mail. This, in turn, allows FedEx to send full planes and trucks without wasting a trip. For example, FedEx flies a plane to Washington state, and that plane needs to go back to the airport in Indy. FedEx can make it profitable if they carry the mail to top off the plane instead of sending a partial plane. The USPS saves money by not having to transport that mail itself. It's win-win for the companies, but confusing for customers. Not to get too technical, but most consumers don't pay FedEx to ship a package. The consumer pays the merchant they purchased the product from (in this case ammo), and the merchant pays FedEx to deliver the package. What you've actually done is paid a fee to the merchant to get the product to your home. FedEx and UPS are third party carriers. However, obviously, if you walk into a FedEX ship center and send a package, you would then pay FedEx to deliver your package.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    ORM D I think has more to do with the powder and primer fire hazards than gun law.

It's an IATA (International Air Transport Association) regulation. ORM-D used to be shipped via planes as a hazardous good, but they recently (a couple years ago) changed that regulation to no longer allow it. It is most definitely a hazard issue and not a gun issue except for the shipping of gun accessories like ammo, primers, and such.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    ...Basically, the USPS pays FedEx to transport a large portion of mail...

While that may still hold true with regards to the mail. If one is able to track a package as in the OP's case utilizing the Fedex or for that matter even UPS tracking system and that package is ultimately delivered by the Post Office; then those carriers are paying the Post Office for final delivery. The Small Parcel Business Model proclaims this as a win/win for small parcel and the Post Office. In reality the actual savings is a numbers game and the consumer experiences at least one more day of transit time in most cases.

Top Bottom