• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I couldn't get a great photo to save my life. There looks to be a small amount of material on the bottom side touching the screws barely but I don't think anything on the top side at all. I'm not 100% sure but I'm like 95% sure it isn't touching at all anywhere.

Edit: added another photo + I noticed if I put it on one side facing me the bottom looks fine but the top doesn't. Then when I flip it the exact opposite way it looks fine on the bottom but not the other side.

are my eyes just gone? I wish this camera would focus but I've spent 25 minutes and these are the best I could get
    20220516_145910.jpg

20220516_145223.jpg

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would like to think that would be o.k., even though the dimples don't actually touch the screws.
    When you deform metal like they have done, that extra metal has to go somewhere.
    It will compress, somewhat, in that area, and put extra pressure on the surrounding areas.
    I'm not an engineer, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so...
    I could be wrong.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I say over torqued, because as I look at the picture showing the top of the screws, on the flats just where the corners are, you can see some raised metal, this is very common with either cheap screws or a cheap/ damaged Allen wrench or way to much torque applied to the screw, a plain ¼-28 screw needs a meer 14ft/lbs to achieve 3263 pounds of clamp load (not shear strength) , I know an average human can apply way more then 14ft/lbs by hand with a normal leanth Allen wrench, no cheater bar or torque wrench ......

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    W
    I say over torqued, because as I look at the picture showing the top of the screws, on the flats just where the corners are, you can see some raised metal, this is very common with either cheap screws or a cheap/ damaged Allen wrench or way to much torque applied to the screw, a plain ¼-28 screw needs a meer 14ft/lbs to achieve 3263 pounds of clamp load (not shear strength) , I know an average human can apply way more then 14ft/lbs by hand with a normal leanth Allen wrench, no cheater bar or torque wrench ......
    What he said. This guy has forgotten more about machining than I'll ever know.

Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    I couldn't get a great photo to save my life. There looks to be a small amount of material on the bottom side touching the screws barely but I don't think anything on the top side at all. I'm not 100% sure but I'm like 95% sure it isn't touching at all anywhere.

Edit: added another photo + I noticed if I put it on one side facing me the bottom looks fine but the top doesn't. Then when I flip it the exact opposite way it looks fine on the bottom but not the other side.

are my eyes just gone? I wish this camera would focus but I've spent 25 minutes and these are the best I could get
    View attachment 200700

View attachment 200699
    Your photos are quite good. The staking looks too slight. I suggest you take a cold chisel and hit 'em again so that both the key and the bolt heads have clear marks in them. Good luck & stay safe!

Top Bottom