• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Weren't milk bones on that list? I thought I saw them on there.
    Not necessarily directed at you, but instead to the discussion of milk-bones: Milk-bones weren't on "the list", they're a product made by the same maker as another product on the list. In this case the risk comes from animal by-products that have been adulterated with the remains of euthanized animals. I don't believe animal products are an ingredient in Milk-Bones so the risk of them containing pentobarbitol is incredibly small.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Not necessarily directed at you, but instead to the discussion of milk-bones: Milk-bones weren't on "the list", they're a product made by the same maker as another product on the list. In this case the risk comes from animal by-products that have been adulterated with the remains of euthanized animals. I don't believe animal products are an ingredient in Milk-Bones so the risk of them containing pentobarbitol is incredibly small.

:yesway:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Milkbones are made by the same manufacturer that produces Gravey Train that tested positive for pentobarbitol in 60% of the samples. I take that to mean that Big Heart Brands buys meat from a supplier that knowingly takes euthanized animals into the food chain because the risk of public exposure is small.
    Milkbone ingredients
    [FONT=&amp]Wheat flour[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]beef[/FONT][FONT=&amp] meal and [/FONT][FONT=&amp]beef[/FONT][FONT=&amp] bone meal[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]milk[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]wheat bran[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]beef fat[/FONT][FONT=&amp] preserved with [/FONT][FONT=&amp]tocopherols[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]salt[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]dicalcium phosphate[/FONT][FONT=&amp]wheat germ[/FONT][FONT=&amp], natural flavor, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]calcium carbonate[/FONT][FONT=&amp], brewers dried [/FONT][FONT=&amp]yeast[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]malted barley[/FONT][FONT=&amp] flour, vitamins ([/FONT][FONT=&amp]choline chloride[/FONT][FONT=&amp], di-alpha [/FONT][FONT=&amp]tocopheryl acetate[/FONT][FONT=&amp] [[/FONT][FONT=&amp]vitamin E[/FONT][FONT=&amp]], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]vitamin A[/FONT][FONT=&amp]acetate[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]calcium pantothenate[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]riboflavin[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]vitamin B12[/FONT][FONT=&amp] .

[/FONT]

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Milkbones are made by the same manufacturer that produces Gravey Train that tested positive for pentobarbitol in 60% of the samples. I take that to mean that Big Heart Brands buys meat from a supplier that knowingly takes euthanized animals into the food chain because the risk of public exposure is small.
    Milkbone ingredients
    [FONT=&amp]Wheat flour[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]beef[/FONT][FONT=&amp] meal and [/FONT][FONT=&amp]beef[/FONT][FONT=&amp] bone meal[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]milk[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]wheat bran[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]beef fat[/FONT][FONT=&amp] preserved with [/FONT][FONT=&amp]tocopherols[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]salt[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]dicalcium phosphate[/FONT][FONT=&amp]wheat germ[/FONT][FONT=&amp], natural flavor, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]calcium carbonate[/FONT][FONT=&amp], brewers dried [/FONT][FONT=&amp]yeast[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]malted barley[/FONT][FONT=&amp] flour, vitamins ([/FONT][FONT=&amp]choline chloride[/FONT][FONT=&amp], di-alpha [/FONT][FONT=&amp]tocopheryl acetate[/FONT][FONT=&amp] [[/FONT][FONT=&amp]vitamin E[/FONT][FONT=&amp]], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]vitamin A[/FONT][FONT=&amp]acetate[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]calcium pantothenate[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]riboflavin[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]vitamin B12[/FONT][FONT=&amp] .

[/FONT]

Argh.... to be fair, I was taking an educated guess that milk-bones didn't contain animal products but I was wrong, our jumbo box of Milk-Bones has a huge sicker right over the ingredients list so I couldn't actually read it.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Make your own dog treats. Way cheaper, healthier, and fun to do if you have kids or grandkids around.

Basic dog biscuits
    These basic biscuits can be customized to cater to your canine’s palette
    Ingredients

• 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour (substitute regular flour or oats if your dog is sensitive to wheat)
    • 1 tsp. salt (or less)
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tsp. Beef or chicken Bouillon granules (can substitute beef or chicken broth/stock)
    • ½ cup hot water
    • Optional: Add bacon or chicken broth, eggs, oats, liver powder, wheat germ, shredded cheese, bacon bits, to (your dog's) taste
    Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    2. Dissolve bouillon in hot water
    3. Add remaining ingredients
    4. Knead dough until it forms a ball (approximately 3 minutes)
    5. Roll dough until ½ inch thick
    6. Cut into slices or bone shapes (you can purchase a bone shaped cookie cutter to make shapes with)
    7. Place dough pieces on lightly greased cookie sheet
    8. Cook for 30 minutes

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    The FDA has been a joke and a disgrace for a long time now. And the current leadership is only making it worse. I'm sorry for this family's loss, but mostly I'm sorry for the fact that after all the crap that the pharmaceutical industry has pulled for the last 30 years, and all the times that e. coli and worse has caused human food recalls it took dead pets and dog food to get people to notice that their governmental regulators are worthless and incompetent.

Top Bottom