• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I cannot find the actual results of any testing during the MHS selection process for the M&P or the Glock. The only information I have been able to come up with is that the M&P did not meet the modularity requirements, which were obviously written for the P320. Do you have a link to test data for the MHS entrants?
    Why do you think the M&P did not meet modularity requirements? The M&P had modular back straps just like the Glock. The gun was withdrawn after testing. IF they have been released then you should check DoD's DOT&E as they ran the tests for all of the pistols submitted.

The modularity requirements were not written for the 320. Some pistols went with backstraps, SIG went with different frames.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have no idea what shooting 40SW in 9mm pistols has to do with what I stated. There was a time when the FBI didn't carry glocks. They had their beloved 3rd gen Smiths in 45 AARP and grandpappy's 1911. I think you missed the point of my post. I'm simply stating guns can fail and tests can be manipulated.
    I forget how old I am. When Smith had new FBI 10Lite ready, Glock stole a march and whipped out the Glock 22. Glock did not anticipate the impact of the new cartridge on their platform and the pistol had to be revised. That's when the Glocks failed, nothing to do with manipulation, everything to do with engineering.

Now Glock owns the feds.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I had a G19, have an M&P 9 now, and love it!! I shoot it better, and it fits my hand better than the Glock, might just be me, but I love it!

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why do you think the M&P did not meet modularity requirements? The M&P had modular back straps just like the Glock. The gun was withdrawn after testing. IF they have been released then you should check DoD's DOT&E as they ran the tests for all of the pistols submitted.
    So...you don't know, either. Thanks.

I don't think that different backstraps was what the military was considering to make a gun "modular."

"The MHS requirement called for a non-caliber specific weapon with modular features to allow for the adaption of different fire control devices, pistol grips, and alternate magazine options."

Which of the pistols was well known for fitting each of these modularity requirements at the time of testing?

By the way, back to my original question. Still waiting for data backing up the assertion that the M&P "failed hard" compared to the M&P.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    So...you don't know, either. Thanks.

I don't think that different backstraps was what the military was considering to make a gun "modular."

"The MHS requirement called for a non-caliber specific weapon with modular features to allow for the adaption of different fire control devices, pistol grips, and alternate magazine options."

Which of the pistols was well known for fitting each of these modularity requirements at the time of testing?

By the way, back to my original question. Still waiting for data backing up the assertion that the M&P "failed hard" compared to the M&P.
    Someone on here posted a video where a guy froze a bunch of different brands of guns, I think in water, the M&P was the only one to shoot after all he did to the guns...not real world, but hey, if you get stuck in the arctic....take an M&P....Mine is a first Gen 9c, uses 12 round mags, it is a little bigger than some "compacts" but it takes full size mags, and it goes most places with me. Haven't shot as much since the "Biden Bubble" and the prices it's brought. I agree with some others here, try out different guns, find friends who have different guns, you'll find "the" one....you'll just know....I did when I saw and felt the M&P. Not dissing Glocks, they are good guns, are like stars in the sky...plentiful...I do have a PCC that uses G mags, for SHTF times... Good luck!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I started out on 1911's and bought a M&P for my first striker fired, high capacity 9. If it wasn't for the M&P feeling a little 1911-ish in the hand, I could have easily gone Glock.

Both good guns, but currently mine is a safe queen as I am focusing solely on my 1911.

Smith does take good care of you on the service end though. I wouldn't know how Glock is, but I was getting some light primer strikes with my M&P and Smith sent me a new, replacement striker assembly at no charge.

This is on a pistol with 10K+ rounds through it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Watching Aron burn the place down with an M&P certainly affected my opinion of them. Smith makes a fully adequate product at a very fair price in the market.

I am not acclimated to the Glock grip angle, but I could certainly shoot one if needed.

The important thing is that no brand can be trusted with your life. You must personally verify function of your specific firearm to your satisfaction, in your application, and retest regularly. No brand, including my beloved HK, is immune to the "it's 4:30 on a Friday" effect.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    These threads always seem to read like people are 50/50 glock/m&p shooters but every time I'm at a class, competition, or range, I'm the only m&p guy there?
    Seems that way...yes! I've owned a couple of the M&P Sheild's...a 9mm and a .45 acp...liked the way the .45 acp felt (different grip than the 9mm / .40 version) and shot...but just couldn't make the overall investment in holsters, magazines, night sights, etc. that it would take to replace my Glock 36 in .45 acp (or glock 26) so I ended up selling the S&W's. I would have no problem owning an M&P pistol + carrying it, etc...I just can't see making double the investment when I'm already committed to a lineup that works great for me!

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    I shot my first Glock 17 when a friend brought his to the gunshop I worked at and let us try it out. Soft recoil, terrible trigger, first gen mags that swelled up and had to be pulled from the gun, and while it hit what I was aiming at the grip was definitely "off" for me. This was maybe a year or so after they were first imported. Custom aftermarket parts were decades away, you had a stock gun and your choice of maybe some replacement sights.

Glocks really took off in the Police market due to good timing, many departments were transitioning from DA revolvers to autos and Glock's "safe action" trigger with it's lack of a manual safety was seen as the easiest, cheapest way to go with minimal training. The fact Glock practically gave them away for large department orders ensured they gained an early foothold on the market. Dirt simple internals meant less to go wrong and easy training of department armorers. They worked and they worked well, they just never appealed to me because of the grip being unnatural for me. Now, if the first handgun you ever fired was a Glock or you use one enough to get used to it, this is not an issue. The large frame .45/10mm was even worse, like trying to hold onto a 2X4.

Fast forward a few decades and Polymer 80 came out with their second generation "not a Glock" frame blanks, with a more "American" grip angle. Now this one fits my hand and points well, now I have one G17 clone, 2 G19 clones, and a longslide compensated 10mm G40 "Glockzilla" beast just for fun and taking out the odd semi truck as needed. Maximum Overdrive anyone? Triggers still suck but at least I now have a version of the most common handgun out there, and can blow your lung clean out of your body!

Then a few years ago Rural King had a Black Friday sale on an S&W M&P 2.0 compact 9mm with manual safety, night sights, and 3 magazines for around $350. This combo usually went for closer to $600, so I figured even if I hated it the trade in value was more than what I paid so why not. Roughly comparable to a G19 is size, there was no comparison otherwise. Much better trigger (single action versus the double action of the G19) grip that feels just right with the medium backstrap, and points well for me. Shoots good too. magazines were a bit pricey but AIM Surplus had some 17 rd full size PD trade ins for $17 each and I grabbed a bunch. Other than some scuffed up floorplates and some electro-penciled ID marks on some of them, most looked almost new and they all function fine. With the S&W spacers on them they basically convert the compact to the full size grip, which I also like. Spare magazines are a lot easier to conceal than a gun, so why not make your spares hold 2 more rounds?

I really prefer the M&P to the Glock clones, even considered grabbing the new 10mm M&P but it is having some "Beta Testing" issues with recoil dropping the mag and such. If I can ever find a good deal on the full size with safety in 9mm I will probably get another M&P.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    I've owned a lot of plastic guns. Glocks, M&ps, p10, pdp, XDM, arex, FNs, and probably more I'm forgetting. Like the other user said, glock isn't magic anymore. The only brand I would definitively place them above in the list is FN. Sorry FN, but your stock triggers suck that bad!

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Curious that you chose to not include "recently" in your quote of my text.

They innovated and changed the world several times, and as I said, they deserve more credit than most manufacturers for that.

But they have not innovated in decades.
    They make the same stuff over and over, and that's fine, because it's good, but they are clearly just banking on their past innovation.

They are LITERALLY the opposite of KelTec.

KelTec innovates to the point of giving themselves a bad reputation, even though they have created alot of products copied by others who get the credit for that innovation (Best example lately the P365).

Glock doesn't innovate at all, but because of that, we know their products are good.

Why does it bother you?
    I didn't say they should stop making their flagship guns, I own most of them... I carry Glocks almost every day.

Imagine if Glock would have put their minds to a PCC.
    Or a battle rifle.

They are the base model Toyota Corolla of the firearms world, and bless them for that.
    But even Toyota knows they need to innovate.
    I'd stand in a loooooong line to get a Glock battle rifle, or even a Glock PCC.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I've owned a lot of plastic guns. Glocks, M&ps, p10, pdp, XDM, arex, FNs, and probably more I'm forgetting. Like the other user said, glock isn't magic anymore. The only brand I would definitively place them above in the list is FN. Sorry FN, but your stock triggers suck that bad!
    This long time Walther fanboy was watching the FN 509 and really liking what I saw and read, until I finally went to the LGS and handled one. Those triggers DO 'suck that bad'. I hope my Walthers will forgive my indiscretion.

Top Bottom