Is the AR-15 Platform in .22 lr Perfect for Teaching Kids Marksmanship?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was contemplating teaching my grandchildren marksmanship. I want to start them out with a rifle in .22lr caliber. I was thinking of buying a Savage Rascal, but I do have a .22 upper for my AR-15 in the carbine version (adjustable stock). The length of pull collapsed is around 10 1/2 inches which is a little shorter than the Rascal. Is there any drawback to instructing these kids 8-10 years old with my AR-15? I would consider loading only one round in the magazine to start with.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I really like the 10/22 with tech sights mounted in them. They make youth models too with a shorter buttstock.

Nothing wrong with an AR 22lr platform either but going prone and such is a bit harder with longer mags.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Its whatever ya feel comfortable with. A aR platform is 2nd nature to me. What i plan on teaching my kids with

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Starting with iron sights will make them a better marksman though. And then transitioning to a scope will be super easy

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    In a word….. no.

I know the one round at a time thing. I was there. You are going to get tired of trying to load a semi auto one at a time. Next you are going to load the mag and insist on aim and place. By the end of the day, after some begging from your child and your boredom you will allow a 2 or 3 shot burst and you and your new shooter will be off to the races. Maybe you are going to be the exception but if so you would be the first.

Good advise is to buy a true single shot that is size appropriate and easy to load. The single will allow any type of 22 ammo to be used. (Shot, cb caps, lr, long, short high and low velocity etc) gun cleaning lessons will be straight forward as will most safety protocol. At some point you can let the new shooter go to the field nearby with 5 or 10 cartridges with a little more piece of mind.

Go ahead, ask me how I know.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Like many here, I started my kids on .22 rifles. I had a number of different ones, but I will say the AR is a favorite. The adjustable stock makes it easy for smaller people to get a proper mount behind the rifle, and IMO there's nothing wrong with learning on aperture sights.

That said, I did start them on bolt-actions until I was confident they could safely and competently operate the semi-auto. As others have said, single-loading the semi is very tedious, and I think there's some benefit to making them learn the cycle of operation manually with the bolt gun before you put them behind a platform that does most of it for them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I trained some of the grandkids with the S&W 15-22 rifle. I added a clamp on rear peep and a front post. With the adjustable butt stock it easily sized to the different kids. I still think a single shot rifle is easier for single shot loading.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was contemplating teaching my grandchildren marksmanship. I want to start them out with a rifle in .22lr caliber. I was thinking of buying a Savage Rascal, but I do have a .22 upper for my AR-15 in the carbine version (adjustable stock). The length of pull collapsed is around 10 1/2 inches which is a little shorter than the Rascal. Is there any drawback to instructing these kids 8-10 years old with my AR-15? I would consider loading only one round in the magazine to start with.
    Yes, of course, do it, do it for Science!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Good suggestions. I, like most here, started out with iron sights. In the day, that was the thing to do, because optics hadn't come very far. These days, I wonder if it makes much difference to start a new shooter with optics or iron sights as optics dominate. Aiming is important, but trigger control is the most important factor in marksmanship. I am definitely opposed to magazine dumps. It is wasteful and the shooter learns nothing. Now, I'm back to waffling between a Savage Rascal or the AR-15 platform to start out. The advantages to the AR-15 are the adjustable stock and that I already have a good .22 upper for it. Some possible disadvantages are it is scoped, more complicated to operate and maintain and the desire to mag dump. The advantages of the Savage Rascal is it is single shot, lighter weight, easier to operate (especially in prone) and maintain, and tends to force the shooter to make every shot count. The drawback is that in a couple of years, the grandchildren will have outgrown it.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    The magazine length of the .22 AR platform is an issue for learning core basic marksmanship. That's the only downside I see.
    All kids are different so I don't want to assume but... read the room when teaching/exposing them, if they are putting off "this is boring" vibes, don't totally disregard the fun of putting a red dot and doing fast shooting also. They can understand that all shooting doesn't have to be the same. Basically try to avoid them thinking that the safety lessons and slow fire marksmanship stuff is the only experience shooting offers. It's foundational and allows "the fun stuff to be more fun" but once safe, dabble in whatever they enjoy more while also working on foundational skills.
    Depending on the kid, once they decide this isn't something I'm into, it's hard to get them back.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I learned with a bolt action single shot with paper and reactive targets, that's been almost 60 years ago. That's how I taught my children and have been working with my grandchildren but only on paper targets. I've been saving up milk jugs and plastic bottles for this summer and will shift to the exploding water jugs and bottles to make it more fun and therefore more interesting.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Good suggestions. I, like most here, started out with iron sights. In the day, that was the thing to do, because optics hadn't come very far. These days, I wonder if it makes much difference to start a new shooter with optics or iron sights as optics dominate. Aiming is important, but trigger control is the most important factor in marksmanship. I am definitely opposed to magazine dumps. It is wasteful and the shooter learns nothing. Now, I'm back to waffling between a Savage Rascal or the AR-15 platform to start out. The advantages to the AR-15 are the adjustable stock and that I already have a good .22 upper for it. Some possible disadvantages are it is scoped, more complicated to operate and maintain and the desire to mag dump. The advantages of the Savage Rascal is it is single shot, lighter weight, easier to operate (especially in prone) and maintain, and tends to force the shooter to make every shot count. The drawback is that in a couple of years, the grandchildren will have outgrown it.
    can always add iron sights to it

Kalashalite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    In a practical and utilitarian sense, yes it is the ultimate training tool. Going back into history there has often been cadet rifles, training rifles etc. that are directly modelled after that nation's service arm.

The AR-15 is this nation's service weapon both on the Military front and Civilian front. So teaching handling of that weapon is a useful process, as your child is VERY likely to encounter that weapon some time in their life.

But as far as teaching marksmanship and marksmanship alone, it is not the best option out there. A single shot, bolt action or traditional semi-auto with a flush fitting magazine is better for learning the basics.

The best in-between solution is to have a good 'ol traditional rimfire rifle of your choice to teach them the basics, and a CMMG .22LR conversion kit for your already existing AR-15 for weapon familiarization/fun. Those can be had for under $200 and they really work good as long as you use high velocity ammo, they're surprisingly reliable for the price.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    I have a 10/22 and an AR platform .22. I'd use both. As others have stated there's a good chance they'll be exposed to an AR at some point. It's good to be familiar.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like the bolt action, be it a single fed or magazine.

Teach the kids the mechanics of marksmanship, while letting them learn the mechanics of the rifle. One shot at at time.

When semi-autos are the teaching tool, everything in the whole process is leading up to the bang-bang-bang-bang. They are just playing along so they can get to the "fun" rapid action. Action that they know the gun can get to. They've seen it done.

What haven’t they likely seen done? Real accuracy and the marksmanship to consistently achieve it.

:twocents:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Besides the DPMS .22 upper, I have a pump and a very high quality, magazine fed, bolt-action. Besides the AR-15, the other rifles have too long of a LOP for young kids. Trying to get them to be effective and enjoy the experience, an unwieldy rifle with a LOP for an adult doesn't seem like the way to go. These kids are small.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I was told to train newbies and kids on bolt actions because there's a function of control over the rifle, and that may help them feel at ease. I myself am contemplating getting a Winchester Xpert for my sister and her daughter who are taking up shooting.

Top Bottom