• Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I completely understand.

I even wonder when you buy at LCS or online, do you really know what's in the package? How many of us can tell?
    Me personally, I’ve been dealing with the same guy since the 80’s. He, within the last decade bought an electronic device that scan’s metal and can tell you exactly what it is composed of. He is the guy that discovered the fake 100 oz. Englehard bars. There is one cut in half on display in his shop. Some of the pictures on line, I took with my work camera and up loaded. The FBI believes there are a few left in circulation. But they are most likely in someone’s safe, yet undiscovered. I only buy from him and an Indiana company out of Winchester Indiana, Silvertown. I trust both implicitly. :twocents:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Me personally, I’ve been dealing with the same guy since the 80’s. He, within the last decade bought an electronic device that scan’s metal and can tell you exactly what it is composed of. He is the guy that discovered the fake 100 oz. Englehard bars. There is one cut in half on display in his shop. Some of the pictures on line, I took with my work camera and up loaded. The FBI believes there are a few left in circulation. But they are most likely in someone’s safe, yet undiscovered. I only buy from him and an Indiana company out of Winchester Indiana, Silvertown. I trust both implicitly. :twocents:
    Monument often carries Silvertown's stuff. I think I probably have some, but I've lost track.

Reactions: Mij

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County

My LCS has several pieces of equipment and tested some items I've had since I was a kid just as a favor. Thankfully there are still people left that you can trust and also withstand verification.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Not that I don`t own any silver bars or rounds .............but this is why I would rather have Constitutional Silver .....pretty much indisputable and recognized by all .

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Not that I don`t own any silver bars or rounds .............but this is why I would rather have Constitutional Silver .....pretty much indisputable and recognized by all .
    ASE’s bit hi on premium but well worth the money to me. They will also sell higher over spot when the time to liquidate comes. Constitutional and .999 silver. Some having numi values. The proof are the tops, but uncirculated business strikes are good also. Specialties like reverse stamping are very good. These of course are numi’s.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    Question - pros or cons of buying encrypted bars, just ordered one of these for $248 from Monument

MintID 10 oz Silver Buffalo Bar (BU, AES-128 Encrypted)​

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Question - pros or cons of buying encrypted bars, just ordered one of these for $248 from Monument

I like them well enough that I've ordered 6 in the past couple of weeks. Wish I'd have waited until now though! I don't really know of any pros or cons, but I do like them.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I like them well enough that I've ordered 6 in the past couple of weeks. Wish I'd have waited until now though! I don't really know of any pros or cons, but I do like them.
    Pro. They are real and will always have value….:thumbsup:
    JMO

Dont know what encrypted is but if they are .999 they are good to go. Again JMO

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    Mmm, just found this - sounds like encryption might be a good thing

This Silver Buffalo Bar produced by MintID includes an embedded AES-128 Bit Encrypted near-field communication (NFC) microchip. With a single scan, the bar's unique digital identity can be authenticated on a cloud-based catalog, through the MintID's secure iOS or Android smartphone application.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Mmm, just found this - sounds like encryption might be a good thing

This Silver Buffalo Bar produced by MintID includes an embedded AES-128 Bit Encrypted near-field communication (NFC) microchip. With a single scan, the bar's unique digital identity can be authenticated on a cloud-based catalog, through the MintID's secure iOS or Android smartphone application.
    In that case I could see pros and cons. Pro, I own value equivalent metals. Con, now someone else can have knowledge that I own value equivalent metal and can identify who I am. Never forget the U.S. government mandated the confiscation of metal at one time. It has president and could happen again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In that case I could see pros and cons. Pro, I own value equivalent metals. Con, now someone else can have knowledge that I own value equivalent metal and can identify who I am. Never forget the U.S. government mandated the confiscation of metal at one time. It has president and could happen again.
    As I understand it, it doesn't tie it to you. It ties it to MintID (the mint that makes them), and not to Monument or its customers. Think of it as a digital assay. Just something to prove its authenticity.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Con, now someone else can have knowledge that I own value equivalent metal and can identify who I am.

Also who ends up with it after it leaves your hands. Now near filed communications does require the reader to be well near. So they cannot scan it from outside the house. But if your silver is traded to me for rice and a case of 22 shells and I trade it to a smuggler for meth and then the silver is found at the stash house the meth came from I can see them following the initial purchase to the final destination even with you not being involved in any way.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Con, now someone else can have knowledge that I own value equivalent metal and can identify who I am.

Also who ends up with it after it leaves your hands. Now near filed communications does require the reader to be well near. So they cannot scan it from outside the house. But if your silver is traded to me for rice and a case of 22 shells and I trade it to a smuggler for meth and then the silver is found at the stash house the meth came from I can see them following the initial purchase to the final destination even with you not being involved in any way.
    I know my rfid chips can be read at about 15-17 inches away. So it‘s not like sending a signal to a sat. Thank ***. But still the whole concept of ident doesn’t sit well with me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

See my reply to Mij just above yours. It doesn't tie it to you. It's a digital assay, that's all.

Top Bottom