• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    So have Ukrainians started bartering in PM's yet or is the country still "stable" enough? What about refugees fleeing to other countries? What is the preferred currency for bribes?

• Euros
    • US Dollars
    • Silver/Gold
    Whenever I travel internationally I carry what I call my "problem solving kit". Among the small multi-tool, first aid kit, etc., is $1,000 in hundreds and a couple 1oz Krugerands.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    More precedent of reducing formerly useful or beautiful items down to pieces used in trade or as impromptu currency. There may again come a time when these items will be valued for their PM content instead of their practical usefulness.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacksilver

Except for silver tableware. That is self-sterilizing due to the oligodynamic effect, so especially useful as-is in a survival situation.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    More precedent of reducing formerly useful or beautiful items down to pieces used in trade or as impromptu currency. There may again come a time when these items will be valued for their PM content instead of their practical usefulness.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacksilver

Except for silver tableware. That is self-sterilizing due to the oligodynamic effect, so especially useful as-is in a survival situation.

When the settlers crossed westward they always tossed a silver dollar into the water barrel. Silvadine cream for burn victims is widely Used today, a true miracle drug if there ever was one.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Interesting. I had never heard the term but have seen its effects. I got into stacking around 2010 when silver was, coincidentally, in the low to mid $20s. soon after it began its runup into the $40s.

During that period my folks, antique hobbyist dealers, started seeing folks come into the antique mall where they had a booth looking for silver. It had run up enough that the melt value of some items exceeded the intrinsic collectable value. My folks had a heavy sterling tray priced under $1,000. I pointed out to them the melt value was close to double that. A lot of common old silver got scraped then. Of course the reverse happens. Ever hear of coin silver flatware? Of course the reverse happens. Ever hear of coin silver flatware?

I keep a gallon plastic jar around in which I throw scrap. Not a lot, but once in a while you'll find sterling jewelry or tableware at garage sales and auctions, etc.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice looking bar, and at ~1833 per Troy not a bad premium either. I do like the added insurance.
    I think I timed it right. Gold took a pretty good dip early this morning and then shortly after I ordered it jumped quite a bit. It's settled back lower now, but not as low as the morning dip.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Folks, with the paper market falling like a rock the CFTC has to manipulate the metals market lower so the big money (fed res.) can put there fiat in pm’s for safe keeping till the paper markets can return to normal, a good opportunity for them is a good opportunity for us. Get it while you can, and don’t forget copper. Just look at a 30 yr. chart, and it will only keep climbing, if you can’t get 100 oz. .999 look for Wheaties. Wheat Pennies they sell them by the bag. (Lb’s). Keep stacking, and for gosh sakes, go water the garden.

edit to correct acronym

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just picked up another Nadir 10 oz. silver bar for 225.30 this morning. Spot was below 20. I think I jumped a little early but still better than the last one I bought by almost 9 bucks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow, on second thought, I did time it right. Just now, Monument took the Nadir "off sale". When I ordered, it was the same price no matter the quantity, now 1-9 is 228.30.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Wow, on second thought, I did time it right. Just now, Monument took the Nadir "off sale". When I ordered, it was the same price no matter the quantity, now 1-9 is 228.30.
    I ordered several at $235 earlier this week and don't feel too bad. With gold down as well, 1oz sovereign coins can be had close to $1,880, I am very tempted to order. Snorko wants a Krugerand.

Any indications as to whether this is a short term dip or a trend?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom