• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    With the debt ceiling chatter I'm a little shocked the price hasn't had a little jump, but history has proven me to be a bad investor.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Question for the collective re gold. I've been wanting to move a little into gold, ideally by selling some silver to purchase the gold. However the ratio has been too high for the last several months to consider that approach.

Instead I am considering just buying little bits as I can. I want to stick to 1oz and 1/2oz modern sovereign coins, but sometimes prices for "old" coins are hard to pass up. For instance right now Provident has original 1908 Austro-Hungarian 100 Korona coins for $1,761.69 or effectively $1,797.64/oz. This is far better than the best modern sovereign, a 1oz Britannia for $1,841.67.

So what are your opinions on old coins? I don't like that they are not labeled with their content like modern coins.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm of the opinion that ultimately what will matter is the actual material itself and not so much the collectors value of what type of coin it is so I stick with bullion bars of everything so long as it's clearly labeled on the bar. I understand there's a case to be made for raw bullion vs minted coins, but I'm not anticipating anyone wanting my coins post SHTF because some old president was on it they'll want it for the actual materials it's made of.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Rounds work well for that, as long as they are also clearly labeled for content. One ounce do nicely - it's hard to make change from a 10 ounce bar.

By the way, Teddy, give us a heads-up if you are going to buy. I'll need to get my funds ready for the inevitable price drop.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    By the way, Teddy, give us a heads-up if you are going to buy. I'll need to get my funds ready for the inevitable price drop.

LOL. Well, I can tell you food prices are about to drop because I plan to stock up on some grabill meats if that helps. :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Mmmm... Grabill Meats. I know one of the owners, and he says the official shelf life is 10 years, but unofficially, they will be good as long as the can is intact.
    That's good because with everything going in the world I'm shopping by the case, not just individual cans.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Some positive discussion for buyers on how and why Silver is currently undervalued. Silver talk at 15:00 to 19:00 by Bill Holter, precious metals expert.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Mmmm... Grabill Meats. I know one of the owners, and he says the official shelf life is 10 years, but unofficially, they will be good as long as the can is intact.
    Their web site is a static page. I assume there is no online ordering then? I saw no info on pricing, ordering, etc.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Made a sizeable purchase in Ft. Wayne. Dude gave me 20 free oz, no kidding. I take it back, lady thanked me for my honesty. I pointed the guy out, he wanted to know what the problem was. Lady explained it, thanked me again for bringing it back. He gave me a very short thank- you. Next time,.... you, my gain.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Figured this article fits in here.

Venezuelans using gold to pay for meals and even haircuts

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Any of you silver experts ever listen to these guys? I was sent this link today.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thinking of buying some more silver today. Not a lot, just enough to make it to free shipping from Provident. It's been stuck at $24 +/- some change for a long time now and I'm getting tired of waiting for the big dip. :):

Top Bottom