• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My thought process is that the primary benefit of silver coinage, dimes, quarters, etc will be good to have if things get weird for local purchases, bartering, etc.

Right, wrong, maybe?
    I agree. the benefit to me is it is a known quantity of silver in a fractional amount. Of course the other 10% is copper so it could conceivabely be economical at some point.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Silver over $24 and gold about to top $1,900. Someone leaked I was about to make my annual bonus purchase.
    It made 1901.00 for a moment we have to see what the year brings. If the war in Ukrain keeps the world economy in a twist this could be the time to buy.

One thing for sure, ag, Au, will go up in the long run. Just look at history.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My thought process is that the primary benefit of silver coinage, dimes, quarters, etc will be good to have if things get weird for local purchases, bartering, etc.

Right, wrong, maybe?
    Many Americans will recognize it as money with value, unlike foreign or bullion coins or bars. It takes some experience to recognize non-American coin PMs, experience many do not have. It may take some time after "the event" to be most useful, when things have stabilized more. Before that, the three Bs will have the most value.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Many Americans will recognize it as money with value, unlike foreign or bullion coins or bars. It takes some experience to recognize non-American coin PMs, experience many do not have. It may take some time after "the event" to be most useful, when things have stabilized more. Before that, the three Bs will have the most value.
    Exactly why I like Eagles except for bullion bars, they speak for themselves. And Eagles have a higher resale value if you should ever have to liquidate them for whatever reason, premium goes up with spot value.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Three B's - is that guns and ammo and knives? :dunno:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I was considering a significant purchase but I think I will wait now. I started to slowly fill out a monster box of Philharmonics a while back but finishing it off won't happen soon.

I think this is a good time to make a couple smaller purchases locally to build that relationship.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I was considering a significant purchase but I think I will wait now. I started to slowly fill out a monster box of Philharmonics a while back but finishing it off won't happen soon.

I think this is a good time to make a couple smaller purchases locally to build that relationship.

I am in the same boat, planning to buy more significant amount of silver & gold. Should have pulled the trigger on silver a couple of days ago on the downtick, upside is that I did get some dimes on the downtick.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think I have been doing this wrong. I have been buying US proof coins from the mint, quarter sets and rolls of dollars. The premium they cost may not exist if the stuff hits the fan.
    But they are shiny and pretty. :)

Reactions: Mij

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Just a heads up guys: I found buying from local estate auctions is the absolute best way to get low or no premium silver. I've gotten a good bit of 90% for 18-20X face even after all auction fees.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just a heads up guys: I found buying from local estate auctions is the absolute best way to get low or no premium silver. I've gotten a good bit of 90% for 18-20X face even after all auction fees.
    Yep, folks bid up to spot and the bidding stops. That goes for bullion too.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I think I have been doing this wrong. I have been buying US proof coins from the mint, quarter sets and rolls of dollars. The premium they cost may not exist if the stuff hits the fan.
    But they are shiny and pretty. :)
    IMO, if you’re gonna buy proofs, buy Eagles they hold there value. I’ve been buying them back to the eighties got a few unusual ones, some low mintage ones and inverted stamping types. These may be numismatics types but they work for me. YMMV. ;)

Top Bottom