• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Junk silver used to be reasonable, not anymore. It often carries higher premiums than new rounds and some sovereigns.
    I just looked at apmex it has silver eagles at 33 bucks ea. and 178 oz equivalent junk at 9.95 over spot price per item.
    The same if you buy just 1 roll of dimes still 9.95 over spot. Not sure if I understand there explanation of pricing but it may be worth looking into if your in the market for silver. Didn’t see anything that indicated out of stock, but didn’t do a dive into there site.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    You know things are getting bad when Bank of America puts out a warning about paper money. Apparently they said something about peoples 401’s being wiped out due to inflation. Corse they have the most to lose they own more FRN’s than anyone else.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I just looked at apmex it has silver eagles at 33 bucks ea. and 178 oz equivalent junk at 9.95 over spot price per item.
    The same if you buy just 1 roll of dimes still 9.95 over spot. Not sure if I understand there explanation of pricing but it may be worth looking into if your in the market for silver. Didn’t see anything that indicated out of stock, but didn’t do a dive into there site.
    Poked around a few sites and 90% is about 20X face, which puts it in the $28/oz range, a premium approaching 50%. :eek:

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Grabbed 3 ounces of gold shot , and 4 -1 kilo bars of silver. then the prices are going up again. really thought they would continue down but i was wrong glad i bought it now

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The bank of england has some big news today. I'm not sure how that's effecting our market, or precious metal pricing. Just the headlines like this make my paranoid hairs stand up and makes me consider swiping a credit card and getting all the precious metals I can while I can.

Is this a sign of the global economy collapsing?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The bank of england has some big news today. I'm not sure how that's effecting our market, or precious metal pricing. Just the headlines like this make my paranoid hairs stand up and makes me consider swiping a credit card and getting all the precious metals I can while I can.

I would still be loathe to use a credit card with the way interest rates are increasing. It could potentially wipe out any gains from the metals, at least in the short term.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

Was this about them starting up quantitative easing again?

Quoted from the Stock Market Rocking thread:

It seems US Treasuries are being dumped all over the world from the EU,Great Britain,and the middle east(later just started happening today, shortly before the OPEC meeting next week).
    The dollar is swinging more than 10% up and back down 5% in less than two weeks. If I am not mistaken I believe that to be the largest percentage moves(including up and down)in history.

I am too simple or lazy to get into how precious metals are priced around the world. I do understand that the fluctuation of the dollar, with it generally being quite strong as of late, has kept PM prices down. Apparently gold is up 14% for the year in Great Britain whereas it is down 8.8% in dollars.

I guess that's why Auric Goldfinger was smuggling bullion around the world.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

JMO, but metals are for protecting wealth you already have, not an investment. There are better vehicles for that. Again, JMO.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I found this fascinating - information from JBR Recovery in the UK about their PM/silver recovery and refining:
    http://www.jbr.co.uk/goods-received.html
    Interesting. Back in the day photo development fluid was a big source of silver. Now days folks make a business from electronic devices both gold and silver. In oriental country’s they bid on land fills just to mine them for electronics. I know a few fellows that do there version of silver mining. They chip in and buy a skid of half dollars or quarters from a bank. Then they go through the rolls to find pre 64 junk or 40% half dollars. They find it an enjoyable hobby.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I remember reading that, pound for pound, a weight of cell phones is higher grade ore than that from a typical gold mine.

I tried coin roll searching one time. I happened to be in the bank when an older customer came in pulling a trolley with a big box of Half Dollars. Just under $500 face. They were rolled so the amount was readily apparent. With the bank's permission I bought the lot.

Pent an hour or so going through them, not a silver coin in sight.

Last edited:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I remember reading that, pound for pound, a weight of cell phones is higher grade ore than that from a typical gold mine.

I tried coin roll searching one time. I happened to be in the bank when an older customer came in pulling a trolley with a big box of Half Dollars. Just under $500 face. They were rolled so the amount was appraent. With the bank's permission I bought the lot.

Pent an hour or so going through them, not a silver coin in sight.
    :): The old boy may have beat you to it!

From my understanding the best results are from small rural banks with high Mexican population. Then buy ALL of the rolls the bank will sell you. Presumably this gets you older stored rolls, and the Mex. population brought the U.S. coinage with them when they came across the border. Don’t know for a fact, just what the old guy’s tell me.

I coffee with one every morning, local farmers breakfast joint, he shoots out here sometimes.

Top Bottom