• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Made my first purchase, couple coins (silver eagle and krugerrand) and three different rounds. Doing a lot of research this year, figure it's time to start buying. Any experience provided here is appreciated. Probably ramping up buying soon for reasons of purchasing abilities of consumer items if necessary, less about investment.

Can we ask about gold here? What do you think about the Canadian maplegram sheet of 25 each 1 gram pieces for purchasing power? The one ounce coins would seem to have limitations unless buying bulk or large purchase.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Another option is the 1/10 oz. legal tender Canadian bars in a 1/2 oz. multipack. Small enough to have a good small-denomination value, large enough to not get lost too easily. On sale now at silvergoldbull.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Another option is the 1/10 oz. legal tender Canadian bars in a 1/2 oz. multipack. Small enough to have a good small-denomination value, large enough to not get lost too easily. On sale now at silvergoldbull.
    Thanks, I do like that concept for what I'm trying to accomplish. The price is better by a large margin than the 1/10 oz gold eagle. With both as legal tender for provenance, I'm assuming similar purchasing power in the US?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Thanks, I do like that concept for what I'm trying to accomplish. The price is better by a large margin than the 1/10 oz gold eagle. With both as legal tender for provenance, I'm assuming similar purchasing power in the US?
    Well, the "legal tender" is of limited value wherever. The metal value is much more than the nominal legal value. That's kind of a backstop - it will never drop below that legal tender value.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Well, the "legal tender" is of limited value wherever. The metal value is much more than the nominal legal value. That's kind of a backstop - it will never drop below that legal tender value.
    Yes. I was trying to reassure myself that the Canadian coin or bars that are minted as legal tender, like the American eagle, are recognized or are as valuable to purchase with. Purchasing power as in gold content value. In a SHTF scenario, my assumption was a minted recognized coin would be better than a round. If not, I should just buy rounds.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    That's where junk silver has an advantage. Everyone here recognizes it as money, it's still legal tender. Just worth way more than face value, like any government minted bullion coin.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    We purchase all our silver for there monetary worth, collector coins will only be worth the price of silver if we would be using it to make a purchase, as collector coins there would be no one able to purchase at that value. and yes junk silver is a great value when you find it,

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Spot dipped below $25/oz tonight so I felt compelled to order some silver. Britannias were tempting at $4.29 over spot, cheaper than generic rounds, but went with some 90% silver for a few pennies less per ounce.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am curious to hear what other's preferences are concerning silver. We seem to have several newer stackers in this thread and we would all benefit from sharing some thoughts. My meager stash has a little of everything from 90% junk to 5oz-10oz bars, to sovereign coins like Eagles, Maple Leafs, Philharmonics, etc. I even have a kilo Kookaburra coin. Anything I buy has to be clearly marked for quantity, purity, and origin. My overall approach is to buy the cheapest per ounce I can giving weight to the above. And with eventual sale or trade in mind, I consider the individual weight as well. For instance, if I can get ten 1oz rounds for about the same as a 10oz bar, rounds it is. If ten sovereign coins are close to the generic round price, sovereigns rule.

A specific question I have is on 90% junk silver. Price aside, does anyone think there is a downside to buying this? I bought a little years ago when it was priced at spot. But more often than not lately the premium is high. If the price is right, "silver is silver" I guess. But for some reason I still shy from it.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I am curious to hear what other's preferences are concerning silver. We seem to have several newer stackers in this thread and we would all benefit from sharing some thoughts. My meager stash has a little of everything from 90% junk to 5oz-10oz bars, to sovereign coins like Eagles, Maple Leafs, Philharmonics, etc. I even have a kilo Kookaburra coin. Anything I buy has to be clearly marked for quantity, purity, and origin. My overall approach is to buy the cheapest per ounce I can giving weight to the above. And with eventual sale or trade in mind, I consider the individual weight as well. For instance, if I can get ten 1oz rounds for about the same as a 10oz bar, rounds it is. If ten sovereign coins are close to the generic round price, sovereigns rule.

A specific question I have is on 90% junk silver. Price aside, does anyone think there is a downside to buying this? I bought a little years ago when it was priced at spot. But more often than not lately the premium is high. If the price is right, "silver is silver" I guess. But for some reason I still shy from it.
    I buy as cheap as possible in as small of denominations possible. Now to be more specific I have plenty of 5oz and 10oz bars and I like to buy "junk" but 80% of the time I buy 1oz bars. I'll buy rounds occasionally but I don't like paying "collectible premiums" so I go as generic as possible while still getting the clearly marked and identifiable Mints.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm definitely still a noob, but in general, I think about like you snorko. I want the lowest price per oz. for the most part, but also like you said, when sovereign coins are on sale at the same or very little difference than rounds, then I'll get those. I don't have much 90% at all (although I know I've got a little bag of some around here somewhere :): ). I think I just get sticker shock when pricing it and see things like "$10 Face Value for $210". Using the formula someone (you maybe?) posted about $1.40 in face value = 1 oz. of pure silver, then that comes out to about $29 and change per ounce. For that small of a difference, I tend to look toward the rounds or sovereign coins (cause they're purty mostly).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I buy as cheap as possible in as small of denominations possible. Now to be more specific I have plenty of 5oz and 10oz bars and I like to buy "junk" but 80% of the time I buy 1oz bars. I'll buy rounds occasionally but I don't like paying "collectible premiums" so I go as generic as possible while still getting the clearly marked and identifiable Mints.
    The only bars I have are the ones I got from you Tyler. I've thought about getting some, but so far (at least on the PM sites) they seem to be about the same price as the rounds, although maybe I need to take a closer look at the more "generic" ones.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    The only bars I have are the ones I got from you Tyler. I've thought about getting some, but so far (at least on the PM sites) they seem to be about the same price as the rounds, although maybe I need to take a closer look at the more "generic" ones.
    I should also point out that I have some really cool wooden boxes where bars fit perfectly in them and that's the biggest reason I started going after bars. But I have some pretty cool rounds too.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    That's where junk silver has an advantage. Everyone here recognizes it as money, it's still legal tender. Just worth way more than face value, like any government minted bullion coin.
    I stumbled across SilverTowne today. Guess I didn't know about the Winchester mint. I will probably buy some junk at some point, so thanks to you and everyone that provides info for the newbies.

Liked those SilverTowne 2nd amendment rounds so much I bought my first stack!
    :rockwoot:

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold

I prefer junk silver. It's easily recognized as money, usually cheaper than eagles, etc and can be converted to Fiat money without any problems

Top Bottom