• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I am also interested. But it seems that silver is still underpriced, and the premiums are still too high. Conventional wisdom says that you should buy silver with the Ag:Au ration is high, and buy gold when it is low. In the end it's a roll of the dice.

Cheapest silver round I've found is currently at $31.60
    Got 80 Buffs this morning for 31.85 on sale at Silver Gold Bull, apparently these are made by Silvertowne so yaaay, support Indiana jobs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So, DoggyMama has decided she'd like to buy a one ounce gold "coin". As someone that is still wet behind the ears so to speak in all this, what's the general wisdom as far as what would be the best "value" for her money? I know that sovereign coins (Gold Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs, Britannias, etc.) all carry a premium over just gold rounds, but there is quite a bit of variation between these coins as well.

For example, as of this writing, spot is $1907.00 (bid price). Here are some prices from Provident (all 2021 coins):
    American Eagle, type 2 - 2044.25
    American Eagle, type 1 - 2134.25
    Canadian Maple Leaf - 2024.25
    Britannia - 1994.25
    Australian Kangaroo - 1994.25
    American Buffalo - 2074.25
    Krugerand - 2014.25
    Austrian Philharmonic - 2004.25

So as you can see, there is as much as a $140 spread between the Britannia/Kangaroo and the American Eagle, type 1. What is the reason for the wide variation? Is there a numismatic "value" at play here in addition to the cost of the raw gold? Any recommendations as far as the best bang for her buck (other than the obvious price difference)?

If I were buying just for me, I would lean toward the Britannia or Kangaroo because that's what make the most sense to me (buy as close to spot as possible). Also of note is that the prices listed above are for quantities of 20+, and some are for 100+, so for one coin, add about 10 - 20 bucks to those prices.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    A while back silver Towne was selling one ounce gold coins and rounds... Maple leafs and rounds were 200 over spot. Eagles we're 300 over spot....that's all they had at the time we visited.
    Hope it helps some.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A while back silver Towne was selling one ounce gold coins and rounds... Maple leafs and rounds were 200 over spot. Eagles we're 300 over spot....that's all they had at the time we visited.
    Hope it helps some.
    So far, other than the Type 1 Eagles, everything is less than 200 over spot, with some just barely over 100 above spot, so that seems like a good indication that it's time to buy? Provident doesn't charge shipping (on anything over $199) or tax, so what you see is what you get as far as the prices go.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    So far, other than the Type 1 Eagles, everything is less than 200 over spot, with some just barely over 100 above spot, so that seems like a good indication that it's time to buy? Provident doesn't charge shipping (on anything over $199) or tax, so what you see is what you get as far as the prices go.
    Sounds like a good deal....my only concern would be delivery times.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I like krugerrands because tony soprano :):
    I also like Krugerrands for their universal appeal & recognition as well as the fact they are alloyed with a good amount of copper, making them more durable. They were meant to be circulated. Eagles and Maple Leafs carry a higher premium based on demand and, while I would love to have some, don't want to pay that. Both Kangaroos and Britannias are .9999 and are sovereign. Good deals I would think.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    In my opinion I’d also base your purchase on your expected result down the road. If you collect and love the design hoping it’s resale value will go up in terms of coin collectibility, go with government backed “currency” like above. But if it’s a hedge against fiat devaluation & crap hitting the fan it won’t matter how rare your coin is or if it has collectibility value. In addition to a few rounds I personally sought and paid extra for well marked fractional bars just to lower the individual value per piece. Weight could be the lowest denominator deciding it’s worth.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I also like Krugerrands for their universal appeal & recognition as well as the fact they are alloyed with a good amount of copper, making them more durable. They were meant to be circulated. Eagles and Maple Leafs carry a higher premium based on demand and, while I would love to have some, don't want to pay that. Both Kangaroos and Britannias are .9999 and are sovereign. Good deals I would think.
    Being four 9's is what appeals to me too (and the price).

In my opinion I’d also base your purchase on your expected result down the road. If you collect and love the design hoping it’s resale value will go up in terms of coin collectibility, go with government backed “currency” like above. But if it’s a hedge against fiat devaluation & crap hitting the fan it won’t matter how rare your coin is or if it has collectibility value. In addition to a few rounds I personally sought and paid extra for well marked fractional bars just to lower the individual value per piece. Weight could be the lowest denominator deciding it’s worth.

Primarily this will be a hedge against inflation as opposed to any collector's value, although I do like the looks of the Britannias and Kangaroos too. I think that's the way I'm leaning for her.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Gold bars are cheapest now, as low as $60 over spot for 1 ounce.
    Cheapest coin currently is the Austrian Phil at about $73 over spot.
    Krugerrands on sale a BGASC for $96 over spot.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Being four 9's is what appeals to me too (and the price).
    Curious, what is it about four 9s that appeals to you? I admit if it comes down to choosing one of two silver bars, rounds or coins, I will lean towards the .9999 if all else is equal. But of course both have the exact same amount of silver or gold, one just has a little more of other.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Curious, what is it about four 9s that appeals to you? I admit if it comes down to choosing one of two silver bars, rounds or coins, I will lean towards the .9999 if all else is equal. But of course both have the exact same amount of silver or gold, one just has a little more of other.
    Like the old anti-drug commercial used to say... "From you! I learned it from you!" (Meaning here on INGO :): )

Most of what I have is just .999 though honestly.

Anyhow, I just pulled the trigger on a gold Britannia but it looks like I jumped a little early. Bought when spot was 1900.50 and paid 1999.46 OTD for the coin. But now spot is down to 1898.80. Oh well, I still think I did okay.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm just happy see my prediction of $29 per ounce on silver seemed to grind it's progress to a screeching halt. If anyone wants me to bring any out of control stocks to a sudden dip just let me know, since all I have to do is purchase a single share and their value will plummet.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I have been buying silver. Bullion and 90%. Like all., I should have been buying this stuff years ago. I just don’t want to look back in a year when it’s $50 an once and say “dam I should have bought it when it was $28 an once”. It is hard with premiums though.

My kids won’t care. I’ll give it all to them. It should $100 an ounce by then.

AA

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have been buying silver. Bullion and 90%. Like all., I should have been buying this stuff years ago. I just don’t want to look back in a year when it’s $50 an once and say “dam I should have bought it when it was $28 an once”. It is hard with premiums though.

My kids won’t care. I’ll give it all to them. It should $100 an ounce by then.

AA
    I met a man who used to buy a silver coin a week throughout his career. As he was in his twilight years he handed each of his children a shoebox that was pretty heavy. It's a nice way to pass along generational wealth without the federal government putting on its pimp hat thinking they have a share of that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I met a man who used to buy a silver coin a week throughout his career. As he was in his twilight years he handed each of his children a shoebox that was pretty heavy. It's a nice way to pass along generational wealth without the federal government putting on its pimp hat thinking they have a share of that.
    I'm going to start doing this type of thing too. Giving, or at least buying each of the grandkids a couple of coins each for their birthdays, maybe as one of their Christmas gifts too.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm going to start doing this type of thing too. Giving, or at least buying each of the grandkids a couple of coins each for their birthdays, maybe as one of their Christmas gifts too.

A few years ago I started getting all my kids a US Mint silver eagle. There's one for each year since they were born and it's locked up in the safe.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm just happy see my prediction of $29 per ounce on silver seemed to grind it's progress to a screeching halt. If anyone wants me to bring any out of control stocks to a sudden dip just let me know, since all I have to do is purchase a single share and their value will plummet.
    Yo can you do me a favor and get some 2x4s from the hardware store? Maybe hit the car lot and get a used F150 while you're at it?

Top Bottom