• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    A couple of years ago I purchased a surplus Star BM with the soul purpose of refinishing the gun. Very, very pleased with the outcome. However, there are times the slide does not go all the back into battery. The fired round is ejecting, not stove piping. Just sometimes it is not totally loading the new round. A quick tug on the slide and it goes into battery. I have eliminated, in my mind, that it is not a magazine issue. Six different mags. Two Star mags with new Wolff springs, two oem Star mags with original springs and two converted ProMags for a Sig.
    I put in a new Wolff 12# recoil spring during the refurbishing of the gun. Did not have the issue before the refurbishing, but only fired one or two mags before the teardown.
    Wolff has 14# and 16# springs available for this pistol. My thinking is to step up to the 14# spring and see what happens. No intention of this being a carry gun, but I do want it to be 100% reliable.
    Am I on the right track?

Larry

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have two questions for you.

1) Can you push the slide forward and get it to go into battery?

2) Have you ejected the missfeeding round without discharging it and examined the brass and projectile for scratches and burrs?

I am asking this because it will tell you if you happen to have some sharp areas that are catching the bullet/brass as it tries to feed.

I had a Kimber that would hang up on a round every other mag or so. Used to frustrate the crap out of me.

Turns out there was a small burr left on the slide face from when they drilled the firing pin hole. I polished that off and never had a problem after.

One pointer for you. The next time it does it, put a mark on on top of the brass with a sharpy. Then push the slide into battery. Then rack the slide ejecting the round.

You can then look at the round for signs of contact. Then you can use the sharpy mark as reference as to where in the gun the hangup happened.....make sense?

All I am saying is I would spend some time looking at what your brass is telling you before ordering a new spring.

Could be something very simple that just needs a little a extra attention.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    I'll additionally suggest... Reduce # variables... example: Run new factory loads with a magazine that runs in another gun, until you resolve the rootcause .

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    No on the rebound piece.
    Only shoot factory ammo.
    In my mind I have eliminated magazines because it will happen with any of the six magazines. Two Star with new springs, two Star with oem springs and two modified ProMag Sig magazines.

Top Bottom