• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just purchased my 930 JM pro from buds in Lexington Kentucky four680 $ and thought I was super lucky to find it. I would recommend a pistol caliber carbine over a shotgun for home defense. As stated previously, a shotgun is rather challenging to operate for a first time shooter and Requires aiming as well as other techniques to use properly. A PCC well be easier to manage, cheaper to practice with, and give you the fizz.

And it hits like a little girl by comparison and you still have to aim the darn thing.....:dunno":

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So even shotgun ammo is in short supply? I know I'm diving in at a really bad time but I assumed it would be somewhat easier to find than most other types.

Did you even read the PM's I sent you.
    Not being a snarky guy here but about everything is in short supply.

ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I have a Mossberg 9200 (predecessor to the 930) that runs like a top with either 3" magnum slugs or cheap target loads from Walmart. But, you have to maintain it and make sure you assembly it correctly after maintenance. It is in my 3rd rotation for SD shotgun, behind two 500's. Why the pumps over the auto? Because I have been using pump guns for over 40 years. I am very familiar and comfortable with my 500's. I don't have to think about how to use them, it just comes naturally.

I am in a little different situation as some. I live out in the boonies with no neighbors within rifle shot away. My "in house" set up is a 500 pump with a 1oz rifled slug first down the pipe followed by low recoil 00 buck. The slug will leave a 3/4" hole that will be difficult to ignore if you get hit with it. The low recoil, flight control buckshot patterns at 3-4" at 25 yards. Much smaller pattern at "in the house distances". Again, difficult to ignore if you are on the receiving end.

I view a self defense shotgun as a very short range, "inside the house", rifle that makes a very large wound track. You AIM at your target and you will hit where you aim.

To the OP, everyone has a different living situation and different opinions on what works best...for them. Whatever you decide, you MUST practice and be proficient with the weapon of your choosing. Otherwise, you are better off saving your money and hope that your 911 call is answered in time.

Many thanks for your advice. Without a doubt practice will be key. As for calling 911 and hoping, it's getting harder and harder to have confidence that will be enough. This year has brought clarity to many like me who were content to sit on the fence with regard to a firearm purchase in the past. But at least we're in Indiana. Could be worse!

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Many thanks for your advice. Without a doubt practice will be key. As for calling 911 and hoping, it's getting harder and harder to have confidence that will be enough. This year has brought clarity to many like me who were content to sit on the fence with regard to a firearm purchase in the past. But at least we're in Indiana. Could be worse!

You are correct that you could be in a worse place than Indiana. Unfortunately, this year seems to have brought out the worst of the worst in some people. Calling 911 and hoping for the best is not a recipe for survival. The fact that you are able to recognize YOU are ultimately responsible for the safety of you and your family, puts you a step above most people.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    IMO,

The pump shoot gun is the cat’sa$$ over auto for life and death situations. A good 500,590,88 is superior for when it is really on the line.
    I believe a shotgun is a great choice for HD unlike many INGO peoples it’s the ultimate fight stopper at close range. The ability to tailor ammo for situations is another great advantage.

I used to think that, until I actually shot the guns quite a bit with friends who were unfamiliar.
    A pump allows you to induce a litany of malfunctions that a solid semi-auto will never face.

That said, buckshot in a shotgun is the closest thing there is to a reliable fight stopper.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Ok it doesn't matter out to 25' if you are using a slug or #8 birdshot. Back in the late 60's our uncle gave me a shotgun to use on humans. At close range, birdshot acted just like a slug, making a big hole in the body. At 25 yards I didn't want birdshot though it would hurt if not kill. For house use I like #4-#6 shot. If you hit a human it will put them down and loses a lot of the power if shot through a 4" wall with 3/4 sheetrock on both sides. Most people only know how a load of shot reacts on animals. If you think #4-#6 shot is bad just look at how it will reach out and kill water birds. For shotguns I have used doubles, singles, 870 pumps, Model 12, Model 97's, and 1100.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    THIS. #4 is still formidable. Thats 24-28 .25 caliber balls hitting your target at once. A great way to incapacitate a person, but wont over penetrate drywall, etc. As a handgun you'd say ".25acp is a lousy defensive choice" But what if you could instantly empty 4 MAGAZINES from your .25 Jennings into a perp all at once? Not so puny now, is it? :):

#4 in a 2 3/4" shell. Not sure of the FPS but fairly fast. It will girdle the bark off a live tree with ease.
    For fun we run 3" Hypersonic #2.

If you can find it, I agree with the #4 buckshot......

Chiming in for the preference of #4 also. Just wish I had bought a 930 years ago, but I still got my trusty Mossberg 500.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok it doesn't matter out to 25' if you are using a slug or #8 birdshot. Back in the late 60's our uncle gave me a shotgun to use on humans. At close range, birdshot acted just like a slug, making a big hole in the body. At 25 yards I didn't want birdshot though it would hurt if not kill. For house use I like #4-#6 shot. If you hit a human it will put them down and loses a lot of the power if shot through a 4" wall with 3/4 sheetrock on both sides. Most people only know how a load of shot reacts on animals. If you think #4-#6 shot is bad just look at how it will reach out and kill water birds. For shotguns I have used doubles, singles, 870 pumps, Model 12, Model 97's, and 1100.

I call shenanigans.

Have you actually seen the ballistic testing out on the topic? A LOT has been learned since you were taught that back in the 60s. Indeed inches from the barrel you may be right on birdshot, but too much is lost too quickly. I dont know about you, but I dont want to have to wait for the aggressor to get within 5' of me before I shoot because my load wont penetrate well at distance. :naughty:

Dont use birdshot. Hell, even some experts say not to even use #4 because it lacks the inertia for penetrating vital organs.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I call shenanigans.

Have you actually seen the ballistic testing out on the topic? A LOT has been learned since you were taught that back in the 60s. Indeed inches from the barrel you may be right on birdshot, but too much is lost too quickly. I dont know about you, but I dont want to have to wait for the aggressor to get within 5' of me before I shoot because my load wont penetrate well at distance. :naughty:

Dont use birdshot. Hell, even some experts say not to even use #4 because it lacks the inertia for penetrating vital organs.

I agree the smallest I'd go is #1 Buckshot it's 30 caliber shot. Why isn't OOO Buckshot used for defense? To few pellets?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I agree the smallest I'd go is #1 Buckshot it's 30 caliber shot. Why isn't OOO Buckshot used for defense? To few pellets?

00 just strikes an acceptable balance. But 55gr pellets aren't exactly the hammer of thor. 000 uses 70gr pellets, which gets you to a point where individual pellets alone will have significant affect on target. (For reference, #4 buck uses 19gr pellets)

But 9 pellets vs 7 pellets, and the fact that 000 usually doesn't pattern nearly as nicely as smaller buckshot sizes, it starts having too many compromises. But if you want a shotgun to remain lethal past 100 yards without a slug, 000 and bigger is about the only way you'll get there.

I think people really over-estimate what various loads actually do on target. 00 buck is very similar in energy levels, per pellet, to a 22lr, yet for some reason a lot of folks think that's excessive? :dunno:

Per pellet energy level, using chrono results:
    #6 birdshot - 8ftlbs
    #4 buck - 65ftlbs
    00 buck - 200ftlbs
    000 buck - 280ftlbs

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    00 just strikes an acceptable balance. But 55gr pellets aren't exactly the hammer of thor. 000 uses 70gr pellets, which gets you to a point where individual pellets alone will have significant affect on target.

But 9 pellets vs 7 pellets, and the fact that 000 usually doesn't pattern nearly as nicely as smaller buckshot sizes, it starts having too many compromises. But if you want a shotgun to remain lethal past 100 yards without a slug, 000 and bigger is about the only way you'll get there.

If I missed something in this please correct me.
    I thought we were in our home defended the castle not making 100 YARD SHOTS WITH A "SCATTER" GUN AS IT WERE.
    If I am off base here my apology's.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If I missed something in this please correct me.
    I thought we were in our home defended the castle not making 100 YARD SHOTS WITH A "SCATTER" GUN AS IT WERE.
    If I am off base here my apology's.

We are. But the bird shot scatters too much >10' out of the barrel. If you can guarantee your only shots will be inside the 3 yard mark, by all means, carry birdshot.

But if there is a chance you're gonna have to take the 20'+ shot, go with a REAL defensive load. We arent at Mad Max level where "al we can find is what we can pick up off the ground and anything is better than nothing" yet. So disregard the stuff better suited for targets and carry a REAL defensive load.

Ive seen a picture floating around of a guy who took a load of birdshot to the chest. Impact area is only around 4" and as far as I could tell, his sternum stopped most of the pellets. Dude was alert and sitting up in an ER, so he couldnt have been THAT bad off.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ive seen a picture floating around of a guy who took a load of birdshot to the chest. Impact area is only around 4" and as far as I could tell, his sternum stopped most of the pellets. Dude was alert and sitting up in an ER, so he couldnt have been THAT bad off.

Because a 2gr chunk of lead doesn't possess the carrying power to penetrate bone unless it's hypersonic lol.

That's why I get so peeved at people suggesting it for home defense. The "additive" theory doesn't really apply once the wad starts opening up, which is happening within a foot or 2 after leaving the barrel. For any shotgun load, you evaluate what the individual pellet can do on its own. The individual pellets are doing the work, more of them just means more chances to hit something important.

Top Bottom