• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you can find it, I agree with the #4 buckshot......

It's impressive at very very close distances but loses the juice pretty fast.

You need to remember, 00 buck is only 55gr pellets. #4 buck is 19gr pellets. Each pellet of 00 buck will do what a 22lr fmj will do, velocity and weight is similar enough after accounting for the loss in sectional density. Stepping down to #4 buck doesn't really have a good comparison, but it's almost half the power per pellet. I keep some on hand but it wouldn't be my first choice for defense because I don't trust it to reliably penetrate bone after the testing I've personally done.

If you want the most minimal risk of over-penetration, you need to use a very soft foster deer slug. Quite a few on the market will fail to even meet FBI penetration requirements. You also aren't risking any fliers that way.

If you're wanting more of a compromise load in buckshot, you want #1.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's impressive at very very close distances but loses the juice pretty fast.

You need to remember, 00 buck is only 55gr pellets. #4 buck is 19gr pellets. Each pellet of 00 buck will do what a 22lr fmj will do, velocity and weight is similar enough after accounting for the loss in sectional density. Stepping down to #4 buck doesn't really have a good comparison, but it's almost half the power per pellet. I keep some on hand but it wouldn't be my first choice for defense because I don't trust it to reliably penetrate bone after the testing I've personally done.

If you want the most minimal risk of over-penetration, you need to use a very soft foster deer slug. Quite a few on the market will fail to even meet FBI penetration requirements. You also aren't risking any fliers that way.

If you're wanting more of a compromise load in buckshot, you want #1.

I am not sure what your testing involved but what we did showed us that anywhere inside a house it was deadly lethal. If it did not "Enter" the bone it damn sure cleaned it off. The 2 3/4" is what I use indoors. Have you ran any of the #2 or #4 in the Hypersonic 3" offerings.

Remember we are mostly looking at 10 to 20 feet. At that distance I can see an intruder become and amputee with a well placed shot.......or 2.

Last edited:

ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg
    OP do you have a set budget in this search....?????

I was originally thinking $500 but once I started looking at options and doing some initial research, I realized that I probably need to spend a few hundred more to get something in that ballpark and I'm good with that. I realize that I didn't pick the best time marketwise to get started. I can also see how addictive this hobby could become and I haven't even bought my first yet! So I'm thinking something in that range so I can get shooting right away and then see what makes sense from there.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I have the 930, - got it from an INGOer and a 870 pump. The 930 is actually 'softer' recoil, because the semi auto action takes some of the recoil bite you would get with a pump or a single shot. I like the idea on the #4 shot, but I do alternating 00 buck/slug.That should cover any soft or hard target I may have to engage. I also have my sidesaddle with a reload. Practice is important. Definitely do not use 'low recoil' shells. They are guaranteed to fail to eject. My understanding is the 930 operating system is very similar to the M4 (the M4 is what John Wick used in the 'catacombs scene in John WIck 2)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I am not sure what your testing involved but what we did showed us that anywhere inside as house it was deadly lethal. If it did not "Enter" the bone it damn cure cleaned it off. The 2 3/4" is what I use indoors. Have you ran any of the #2 or #4 in the Hypersonic 3" offerings.

Remember we are mostly looking at 10 to 20 feet. At that distance I can see an intruder become and amputee with a well placed shot.......or 2.

Was mostly shooting rather spindly thin firewood.

Penetration in wood was about half an inch at best. It was standard, 1350fps no.4 buck, 28 pellet. Don't know exactly what it was in distance, but it was close enough that the spread was less than 5".

I just don't have that much faith in a 19gr chunk of lead traveling at pistol velocity.

I have the 930, - got it from an INGOer and a 870 pump. The 930 is actually 'softer' recoil, because the semi auto action takes some of the recoil bite you would get with a pump or a single shot. I like the idea on the #4 shot, but I do alternating 00 buck/slug.That should cover any soft or hard target I may have to engage. I also have my sidesaddle with a reload. Practice is important. Definitely do not use 'low recoil' shells. They are guaranteed to fail to eject. My understanding is the 930 operating system is very similar to the M4 (the M4 is what John Wick used in the 'catacombs scene in John WIck 2)

So what happens when someone's life depends on having the right load in the chamber, and it's 2 in the morning with you just being shaken out of bed. Really willing to take the bet? Load up with buck and keep some slugs around if you need to switch to one, do not alternate loadings.

Last edited:

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Friend and I both both 930s. Both went back to Mossberg for repair. Mine still doesn’t run right.
    - I am not a SG fan. Too big, heavy, slow to load, hard to sling and maneuver in a house.
    - why not get a quality pistol for similar money? Or a carbine? Or a 10/22? Even a compact bolt gun would be better.
    - if you must have a SG, get a Mossberg 500 or 590, it will be much more reliable.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Friend and I both both 930s. Both went back to Mossberg for repair. Mine still doesn’t run right.
    - I am not a SG fan. Too big, heavy, slow to load, hard to sling and maneuver in a house.
    - why not get a quality pistol for similar money? Or a carbine? Or a 10/22? Even a compact bolt gun would be better.
    - if you must have a SG, get a Mossberg 500 or 590, it will be much more reliable.

Where you running buckshot or trying to cycle skeet loads from walmart that wouldn't even be suitable for shooting a squirrel?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Where you running buckshot or trying to cycle skeet loads from walmart that wouldn't even be suitable for shooting a squirrel?

Issues I have had with the 930 was cycling the next shell from the mag tube into the action. To much spring pressure on the shells I the tube. Put the proper spring In It and off to the races.

The other problem comes from not assembling the gas system correctly and cracking the black ring. Beyond that if you keep them clean and oiled they rock. But you need to feed them properly

ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg

Yeah I get that a shotgun might be a bit bulky for my need, especially with the tight configuration of the house. I do fully intend to get a handgun as well but haven't even started down that path. I'm sure that's a whole other post to get input on the many options.

ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Issues I have had with the 930 was cycling the next shell from the mag tube into the action. To much spring pressure on the shells I the tube. Put the proper spring In It and off to the races.

The other problem comes from not assembling the gas system correctly and cracking the black ring. Beyond that if you keep them clean and oiled they rock. But you need to feed them properly

Meaning you prefer to swap out the factory-installed spring?

IndyS3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Fishers
    I just purchased my 930 JM pro from buds in Lexington Kentucky four680 $ and thought I was super lucky to find it. I would recommend a pistol caliber carbine over a shotgun for home defense. As stated previously, a shotgun is rather challenging to operate for a first time shooter and Requires aiming as well as other techniques to use properly. A PCC well be easier to manage, cheaper to practice with, and give you the fizz.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IMO,

The pump shoot gun is the cat’sa$$ over auto for life and death situations. A good 500,590,88 is superior for when it is really on the line.
    I believe a shotgun is a great choice for HD unlike many INGO peoples it’s the ultimate fight stopper at close range. The ability to tailor ammo for situations is another great advantage.

ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg
    We have enough in reserve. Sandy Hook was a valuable lesson for us. And we dont run the SG's like we used to.

Seems finding about anything right now is a challenge.

So even shotgun ammo is in short supply? I know I'm diving in at a really bad time but I assumed it would be somewhat easier to find than most other types.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have a Mossberg 9200 (predecessor to the 930) that runs like a top with either 3" magnum slugs or cheap target loads from Walmart. But, you have to maintain it and make sure you assembly it correctly after maintenance. It is in my 3rd rotation for SD shotgun, behind two 500's. Why the pumps over the auto? Because I have been using pump guns for over 40 years. I am very familiar and comfortable with my 500's. I don't have to think about how to use them, it just comes naturally.

I am in a little different situation as some. I live out in the boonies with no neighbors within rifle shot away. My "in house" set up is a 500 pump with a 1oz rifled slug first down the pipe followed by low recoil 00 buck. The slug will leave a 3/4" hole that will be difficult to ignore if you get hit with it. The low recoil, flight control buckshot patterns at 3-4" at 25 yards. Much smaller pattern at "in the house distances". Again, difficult to ignore if you are on the receiving end.

I view a self defense shotgun as a very short range, "inside the house", rifle that makes a very large wound track. You AIM at your target and you will hit where you aim.

To the OP, everyone has a different living situation and different opinions on what works best...for them. Whatever you decide, you MUST practice and be proficient with the weapon of your choosing. Otherwise, you are better off saving your money and hope that your 911 call is answered in time.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    So even shotgun ammo is in short supply? I know I'm diving in at a really bad time but I assumed it would be somewhat easier to find than most other types.

It depends on what you're looking for. For example, Rural King (Bloomington) had cases upon cases of birdshot in stock yesterday and this morning, but not a single box of buckshot or slugs. People are stocking up on man-stopping rounds... especially full power 00 Buckshot. Usually stores don't keep as much of the smaller buckshots (#1 and #4 being most common in my experience) in stock anyway, so they're bought up too. Birdshot can still be found though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Meaning you prefer to swap out the factory-installed spring?

No. Only if there is an issue. The issue was on a full magazine the shells were being held in place against the stop with far to much spring presser and the stop could not release the next shell. Pulled the mag spring and it appeared to be for an extended magazine tube. Replaced with the proper spring to fix the problem.
    This was on a near new gun I bought from an Ingo member that swore it ran perfectly.

Top Bottom