• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    To be fair, I remember them getting some great reviews by the gun mags initially and then again when they had some sort of reset and they were promising to turn things around.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    To be fair, I remember them getting some great reviews by the gun mags initially and then again when they had some sort of reset and they were promising to turn things around.
    The problem is those aren’t gun magazines, nor are they reviews... they’re bought and paid for advertising, which is why people loved Youtube channels at first, they were small timers who gave honest opinions on guns, gear, tools, car parts, whatever; but now that YT channels can easily get sponsors and gifts they’re just like the old gun, gear, and speed magazines they replaced.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The problem is those aren’t gun magazines, nor are they reviews... they’re bought and paid for reviews
    That is well known to people in the gun culture. If you are not or just starting out, you could read one of them and think they have some real significance.

MattCook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Fishers
    +1

But... It's an AK. The dust covers on good ones aren't like a bank vault or anything. I was going to suggest you pickup a spare dust cover to tinker with if you want, but it looks like bog standard AK dust covers are like $40 right now! So... I think I'd leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is.

Besides... the dust cover it optional. Dust, or a ham sandwich, won't stop it from firing.

+1

But... It's an AK. The dust covers on good ones aren't like a bank vault or anything. I was going to suggest you pickup a spare dust cover to tinker with if you want, but it looks like bog standard AK dust covers are like $40 right now! So... I think I'd leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is.

Besides... the dust
    View attachment 133363

+1

Besides... the dust cover it optional. Dust, or a ham sandwich, won't stop it from firing.

View attachment 133363
    Yeah I was looking online at dust covers and most of the cheaper ones were put of stock.

In the field I would likely be shooting whilst eating a spam sandwich. I wonder if that would be alright with no dust cover.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Yeah I was looking online at dust covers and most of the cheaper ones were put of stock.

In the field I would likely be shooting whilst eating a spam sandwich. I wonder if that would be alright with no dust cover.

If you wrap it in cabbage, and forget the spam, it sounds like a Soviet lunch to me. :thumbsup:

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    @MattCook what is "cheaper" to you? How much are you looking to spend?

All in stock as of this posting...

-New production American for $20: https://palmettostatearmory.com//psa-ak-smooth-dust-cover.html
    -New production Bosnian for $24: https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/AKM-TOP-COVER-NEW-AC-UNITY-p7284.htm
    -Surplus eastern block for $35: https://akoptionsllc.com/surplus-smooth-top-cover/

Alternatively, I have to run to Cabela's in Noblesville tomorrow ... feel free to meet me out there with your gun - I'm happy to take a look at yours and bring a few different top covers for you to test fit.

MattCook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Fishers
    @MattCook what is "cheaper" to you? How much are you looking to spend?

All in stock as of this posting...

-New production American for $20: https://palmettostatearmory.com//psa-ak-smooth-dust-cover.html
    -New production Bosnian for $24: https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/AKM-TOP-COVER-NEW-AC-UNITY-p7284.htm
    -Surplus eastern block for $35: https://akoptionsllc.com/surplus-smooth-top-cover/

Alternatively, I have to run to Cabela's in Noblesville tomorrow ... feel free to meet me out there with your gun - I'm happy to take a look at yours and bring a few different top covers for you to test fit.
    Thank you so much! That is a fair price. I guess I didn't know where to look

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I see haha...your making me nervous about shooting it. I have had it for a few years. Probably shot 200 rds...no jams or misfires yet. The grip, dust cover, and clips though feel a little shakey at all times.

Have you handled any other AKs? I'm not defending IO as being high quality, but some of those things are just inherent to the platform. Like the mag rattling in the well is just how AKs roll.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Hey INGO. So I have this entry level IO Economy sporter AK-47. I am no rifle expert but no enough to determine its is not the best built rifle on the market. The dust cover does not secure well to the rifle. Would an after market dust cover improve the strength of fixation to the rifle? Any recommendations on products or methods to improve the stability of the dust cover?
    I'm assuming you mean the dust cover is too short to properly engage at both ends.
    It's a simple fix- Take a small adjustable wrench or a small hammer and (for lack of a better word) flare the bottom of the dust cover out toward the rear stock trunnion just beneath the recoil spring take down button. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.
    It's an AK so it wont mind the modification.
    I'm mystified about the going price of these things myself.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Iirc if you buy a ak47 dust cover for a milled receiver they are just a tad longer and that might work for you if you can find one.

I'd try what BGDave said first though.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    I see haha...your making me nervous about shooting it. I have had it for a few years. Probably shot 200 rds...no jams or misfires yet. The grip, dust cover, and clips though feel a little shakey at all times.
    OP, I'll put this in no uncertain terms you undeniably have the WORST ak to ever be made.
    There is so many thing that could be wrong with the AK making the top dust cover not secure.
    The cover itself could be out of spec. The rear trunnion could be riveted too far rearward. The rear sight block could be pinned to far forward. Everything could have been in the right place, but firing it made the barrel/sight base walk forward (Headspace loose and ak go boom). None of these issues would surprise a single soul, that is quite literally how bad IO aks are.
    IO aks are known to have issues do to shotty workmanship and cast trunnions. Look at their BBB ratings, look at other forums. They were DROWNING in warranty labor to the point they discontinued their ak line and told everyone trying to claim on their lifetime warranty to pound sand.
    It's to this end I'm telling you, whatever bandaid bs fix you are pursuing for this rifle it ain't worth it. I would quite literally feel more confident holding a rabid raccoon high on meth.
    It's your pig and your farm so do what you will. Just be aware, 200 rds is nothing, you have no warranty, many before you have blown up their aks. I'd gauge it.

MattCook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Fishers
    Have you handled any other AKs? I'm not defending IO as being high quality, but some of those things are just inherent to the platform. Like the mag rattling in the well is just how AKs roll.
    Nope I have only handled this one. That is good to know though thank you

MattCook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Fishers
    I'm assuming you mean the dust cover is too short to properly engage at both ends.
    It's a simple fix- Take a small adjustable wrench or a small hammer and (for lack of a better word) flare the bottom of the dust cover out toward the rear stock trunnion just beneath the recoil spring take down button. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.
    It's an AK so it wont mind the modification.
    I'm mystified about the going price of these things myself.
    Yes. That is exactly the issue. Thank you this actually seems to be a pretty solid solution

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Nope I have only handled this one. That is good to know though thank you

AK mag windows all over the place in terms of size. If yours is extra big, it will be extra wiggly. Usually there's no issue running the gun like that, but if you want it to be a bit more stealth you can try a wrap of electrical tape around the top of your mags. Might take some experimenting to get it just right. You can also hammer on the depressions that are supposed to stop it, but that's a little riskier.

Last edited:

MattCook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Fishers
    OP, I'll put this in no uncertain terms you undeniably have the WORST ak to ever be made.
    There is so many thing that could be wrong with the AK making the top dust cover not secure.
    The cover itself could be out of spec. The rear trunnion could be riveted too far rearward. The rear sight block could be pinned to far forward. Everything could have been in the right place, but firing it made the barrel/sight base walk forward (Headspace loose and ak go boom). None of these issues would surprise a single soul, that is quite literally how bad IO aks are.
    IO aks are known to have issues do to shotty workmanship and cast trunnions. Look at their BBB ratings, look at other forums. They were DROWNING in warranty labor to the point they discontinued their ak line and told everyone trying to claim on their lifetime warranty to pound sand.
    It's to this end I'm telling you, whatever bandaid bs fix you are pursuing for this rifle it ain't worth it. I would quite literally feel more confident holding a rabid raccoon high on meth.
    It's your pig and your farm so do what you will. Just be aware, 200 rds is nothing, you have no warranty, many before you have blown up their aks. I'd gauge it.
    I understand it is an entry level piece. I'm agree the company is low end. Thing is man. I got it. I have had it for several years. I'm not trying to hype it up or sell it, I just want to improve what I can do simply.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom