• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattCook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Fishers
    Hey INGO. So I have this entry level IO Economy sporter AK-47. I am no rifle expert but no enough to determine its is not the best built rifle on the market. The dust cover does not secure well to the rifle. Would an after market dust cover improve the strength of fixation to the rifle? Any recommendations on products or methods to improve the stability of the dust cover?

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    IO has a poor reputation for its rifles and customer service. I wouldn't spend much to improve the rifle. Anything you purchase to correct the problem will probably need to be fitted. With a close inspection, you may be able to see what needs adjustment for a better fit.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    IO has a poor reputation for its rifles and customer service. I wouldn't spend much to improve the rifle. Anything you purchase to correct the problem will probably need to be fitted. With a close inspection, you may be able to see what needs adjustment for a better fit.
    Stated a lot nicer than I would have been able to; to be frank OP, you’ve got a rifle made of oreo cookies and it will crumble in time

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

+1

But... It's an AK. The dust covers on good ones aren't like a bank vault or anything. I was going to suggest you pickup a spare dust cover to tinker with if you want, but it looks like bog standard AK dust covers are like $40 right now! So... I think I'd leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is.

Besides... the dust cover it optional. Dust, or a ham sandwich, won't stop it from firing.

1617217605670.png

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    +1

But... It's an AK.

But it's not, really. It's a terribly poor attempt at cloning an AK by using the lowest quality materials, equipment, and human labor.

OP, you can try a new top cover but I doubt that will do anything. I've read about IO top covers being too short, too long, about them rubbing on internal parts, about them being stamped wrong. And the cover itself might be in spec but something(s) else on the gun is/are out of spec. There was simply never any control when it came to IO QC. It sucks but you have a pretty crappy gun.

Can you post a photo or two, or further explain how the cover is not secure? Is it just wobbly? Or does it pop off? Are you ensuring the front edge of the cover is properly aligning with the little groove for it on the rear sight block? And also making sure the recoil spring guard is popping out of the rear of the cover like it should? Honestly, in this market you might be better off just trying to sell the gun and mentioning it has a loose top cover. With WASRs going for more than a grand these days maybe someone would buy your IO for $600 or more, and you can parlay that into a better offering from an outfit like Zastava USA or a PSA.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My boy picked up one cheap. I warned him about them but $450 price tag could not let him walk away.

So far he's had no problems, very accurate, the trigger feeling like maybe 2lb if that. I told him he needs to take it to our gunsmith have him look it over real good to make sure everything is in order. I've heard to many bad stories about these rifles. Iirc they used cast trunnions I told the boy to have our gunsmith install forged trunnions. May cost a few hundred but I believe it would bring it on par with other AK47 then.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My boy picked up one cheap. I warned him about them but $450 price tag could not let him walk away.

So far he's had no problems, very accurate, the trigger feeling like maybe 2lb if that. I told him he needs to take it to our gunsmith have him look it over real good to make sure everything is in order. I've heard to many bad stories about these rifles. Iirc they used cast trunnions I told the boy to have our gunsmith install forged trunnions. May cost a few hundred but I believe it would bring it on par with other AK47 then.

I don't believe I'd do that. I believe I'd either make the decision to enjoy it for what it is or move it on and upgrade. Even if it's "fixed" it's still an IO and he'll never get that money back unless everything is also a bazallion dollars.

If he's not in love, I believe that would be a nice flip for some ammo cash.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't believe I'd do that. I believe I'd either make the decision to enjoy it for what it is or move it on and upgrade. Even if it's "fixed" it's still an IO and he'll never get that money back unless everything is also a bazallion dollars.

If he's not in love, I believe that would be a nice flip for some ammo cash.
    How much would it fetch in today's firearm economy?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    How much would it fetch in today's firearm economy?

The last AK I stood there and saw for sale in person, new, was a nothing special Century at RK and it was a kilobuck. When I saw that, I stopped even considering the AK market as I walked out with an M&P15 for $300 less. You can buy a bunch of ARs for AK money right now. Love my comblocs, but, not that much.

I would guess he could probably make a few hundred on it. Maybe more if he included some old cheap steel case x39 and maybe a couple of cheap Korean mags.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The last AK I stood there and saw for sale in person, new, was a nothing special Century at RK and it was a kilobuck. When I saw that, I stopped even considering the AK market as I walked out with an M&P15 for $300 less. You can buy a bunch of ARs for AK money right now. Love my comblocs, but, not that much.

I would guess he could probably make a few hundred on it. Maybe more if he included some old cheap steel case x39 and maybe a couple of cheap Korean mags.
    I'll run it across his mind. He is a horder though. He would probably rather it collect dust in back of the safe for 50 years lol.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'll run it across his mind. He is a horder though. He would probably rather it collect dust in back of the safe for 50 years lol.

I'm a kindred spirit as a gun roach motel. They check in, but they don't check out. I have reasonably confidence in the mechanical ability of what I have, or cool/sentimental factor.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm a kindred spirit as a gun roach motel. They check in, but they don't check out. I have reasonably confidence in the mechanical ability of what I have, or cool/sentimental factor.

Anyhow... If he wants to keep it, I'm sure you guys could dig up some light loads for it and just have a fun plinker. The worst AK ever is still fun to shoot as long as it functions.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm just the opposite. If it doesn't run well it goes out the door to a new home.

That said I will not give or sell family or friends a firearm I'm not willing to use to defend myself.

I've had a few so bad I just sold them off as parts and explained why to the next buyer. I could not sell them with good conscience to anyone.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm just the opposite. If it doesn't run well it goes out the door to a new home.

That said I will not give or sell family or friends a firearm I'm not willing to use to defend myself.

I've had a few so bad I just sold them off as parts and explained why to the next buyer. I could not sell them with good conscience to anyone.

Sure, exceptions apply. My "collection" is so small that it's not much of an issue for me. 200 guns from now (a boy can dream), yeah.... might have to let some go.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Sure, exceptions apply. My "collection" is so small that it's not much of an issue for me. 200 guns from now (a boy can dream), yeah.... might have to let some go.
    Lol he's needing another safe already since he got out in December 2020 lol. While deployed he said they drooled over firearms magazines and the ones they would buy when he got out and he didn't waste time.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Lol he's needing another safe already since he got out in December 2020 lol. While deployed he said they drooled over firearms magazines and the ones they would buy when he got out and he didn't waste time.

He picked an awful time to get started, but if he bought a ton right when he got out, he may be able to cash out really nicely right now. Go buy himself a house.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    He picked an awful time to get started, but if he bought a ton right when he got out, he may be able to cash out really nicely right now. Go buy himself a house.
    1617250674144.png
    That's the IO ak47 he bought. I wonder how many got fooled with seeing that American made sticker on the stock.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    From what I've heard, lots and lots were fooled. The thing looks virtually brand now though. Came with the box? I'd think he could flip it. Plenty of people still aren't going to know what IO is.
    He has everything it came with I believe the American made sticker is on stock yet also.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I remember when everyone was pissed because PSA AK’s went from $600 to $800… Now it sounds like you can’t touch anything for under a grand. Ouch, this sucks!

Top Bottom