• ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I’m not an expert but I have gone through a few everyday carry (EDC) knives the last few years. My advice, get something general purpose and very affordable to start with that catches your eye. Carry it for awhile and you will learn your preferences on what like and don’t like. Then you can use that knowledge to make a better choice on your next knife.

For instance I found that I prefer a smaller and thinner folding knife that my phone doesn’t snag on when carried in the same pocket. But I had to try something to start with and then fine tune my preference.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My favorite do it all is a Spiderco Endura wave.

Easy, one hand open and it's faster than an automatic (I'm sure somebody will argue it). Holds a good edge.

Serrated edges are good for bread and people that can't shapen knives. Learn how to sharpen a knife and you'll be happy.

That's my EDC but "not when working" knife! I love it. The wave works extremely well for me. I'd never EDC carry one of my switchblades, those are only for "fancy" occasions.

Blade style is very personal. What one person hates, another will love. Maybe start watching the TV show Forged in Fire and learn about the different knives of the world, different steel used, history, etc.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    In addition to choosing a knife determine how you will keep it sharp. Part of that is choosing a steel “you”can sharpen. Avoiding serrated blades which are hard to sharpen. Leaving enough in your budget to buy sharpening tools “you” can use effectively.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I would urge caution in your search for your "favorite" knife. They are like Lays potato chips. You can't stop at just one. :0)

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have owned a number of different knifes some I still have. The brand I keep coming back to is Spyderco. My current EDC is called the ROC and it has proven to be very robust. My favorite Syderco blade was my Cali 3 which I lost. Many good blades out there I suggest the next gun show you attend seek out Brad (the Knife Guy) he is at quite a number of the shows and he will fix you up. Here's a pic of my EDC.
    iWeW1gx.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you're asking yourself "What knife (singular) should I carry?" you're already setting yourself up for failure.

The real question is "How many knives should I carry?"

Even when it comes to EDC tasks you might find that not one knife does it all, so you might be forced to carry 2 or 3 (or more).

It really depends on what you do, where you work/live etc.

Some large knives with serrated blades might be good for cutting seatbelts but might suck at other tasks.

Curved blades are great for opening boxes but they suck at cutting your food for lunch.

Larger blades might scare your coworkers if you just need it to open an envelop in an office setting.

I'm also a big fan of the Spyderco Endura 4 (with zip tie "wave" mod), but I like the Spyderco Dragonfly 2 just as much.
    I usually carry them by pair.

Two is one and one is none.
    So you need to at least carry 2 knives to always make sure you have a sharp one on you.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Since I was at the NWI meet & eat I went to the gun & knife show in Crown Point this weekend.

The array and variety of knives is staggering! What should I look for in a knife and what types are used for which purposes?

I realize you wouldn't use a filleting knife to skin a rabbit or deer, and certain types are for self defense, etc.

I also notice it's easy to find knives that open automatically via a button which I thought was not allowed in IN.

Happy to receive a list of good reading sites for the basics.
    The reason a lot of this is hard to answer is because there are TONS of good recommendations all across drastically different price points.

there are tons of different blade steels that all have their own advantages. The very first question should be budget range. And then how often do you want to clean and oil it? Do you want extremely low maintenance?

I know you say general purpose, but what types of things would you use it on most? Letters? Boxes? Do you work construction and would occasionally use it on drywall,etc?

I think jsharmon7 gave a pretty solid answer though.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I think I got it, get something that I like and it’s in my price range.

So far I think I want a folding knife in the under $125 range.

The GF carries this in her purse, don’t recognize the brand/logo
    1637173736949.jpeg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

View attachment 168239

You have so many good knives under $125, even under $50 those days.
    A lot are made in Asia by US brands (Kershaw, Spyderco, CRKT and others).

Some Chinese made knives even have a better fit and finish than most expensive US made knives (Emerson vs Kershaw Emerson).

The Spyderco Tenacious is an amazing knife for around $60 I think.

For just under $30 you can get some classic designs like a Victorinox Swiss Army knife, or a French Opinel.

You will find something that you like, and carry it until you find something that you like better.

You might as well start setting up a large drawer (or storage box) for your knives because you will soon need some storage space.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    It works well at destroying pants pockets too!
    Probably it's only drawback.

Well that and the looks you get when you pull out a large knife with a wave feature.

aJhQNJD.gif
    Is that a knife in your pocket or are you just glad to see me???…oh holy ! It’s a knife!!!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

Check out some of the Kershaw and Spyderco knives. You'll be able find something pretty nice in that range :thumbsup:

if you look on knife center or bladehq you should be able to filter by $0-$125 and also by those brands.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Two words: Scallywag Tactical Privateer.

Also: That's three words.

Scallywag's website isn't loading for me at the moment or I'd just link it directly.

If you sign up to their mailing list, you can get notifications of sales and/or blem sales. Pretty sure my Privateer was under a hunnert bucks when I bought it.

I'm also a fan of the Kershaw Launch knives. I have a 1, a 4, a 6, an 8, an 11 (that I impulse bought because I was *SURE* that it was what I wanted), and I really really really want a 13 (which is what I THOUGHT I was buying when I bought the 11.)

The 1 and the 6 make very very good EDC general multi-taskers.

The Privateer is WAY beefier and up to way harder tasks than any of the Launches.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Since I was at the NWI meet & eat I went to the gun & knife show in Crown Point this weekend.

The array and variety of knives is staggering! What should I look for in a knife and what types are used for which purposes?

I realize you wouldn't use a filleting knife to skin a rabbit or deer, and certain types are for self defense, etc.

I also notice it's easy to find knives that open automatically via a button which I thought was not allowed in IN.

Happy to receive a list of good reading sites for the basics.
    What did you end up buying?

Top Bottom