• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Since I was at the NWI meet & eat I went to the gun & knife show in Crown Point this weekend.

The array and variety of knives is staggering! What should I look for in a knife and what types are used for which purposes?

I realize you wouldn't use a filleting knife to skin a rabbit or deer, and certain types are for self defense, etc.

I also notice it's easy to find knives that open automatically via a button which I thought was not allowed in IN.

Happy to receive a list of good reading sites for the basics.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    OK, so not a single reply to my query. No knife knowledge in this forum or was this a dumb question? Is there a secret handshake to join this club?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The Cutting Edge isn't the busiest sub forum here on INGO...

Auto knives have been legal in IN for a handful of years now.

As far as your other questions: They're quite broad.

Knives certainly can be purpose built tools for niche jobs (say pruning or harvesting knives, paring knives, etc) - and there are also may generalist styles. There are also a great deal many that are basically for looks and/or cutting box tape and not for hard usage.

So the knives you want should follow their mission. Let the mission drive the gear.

Also - having / using a knife for self defense is basically fantasy LARPing.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    TY for the reply. Yeah, I have no self-defense/tackical skills so I would never carry a knife for that purpose.

I would be mainly interested in a general purpose knife that has the most versatility and durability. Don't really care how "pretty" it is, form follows function for me in this instance as I don't collect knives.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    The Cutting Edge isn't the busiest sub forum here on INGO...
    Well, the "If you could only have one knife" thread seems to be going strong.
    Auto knives have been legal in IN for a handful of years now.

As far as your other questions: They're quite broad.

Knives certainly can be purpose built tools for niche jobs (say pruning or harvesting knives, paring knives, etc) - and there are also may generalist styles. There are also a great deal many that are basically for looks and/or cutting box tape and not for hard usage.

So the knives you want should follow their mission. Let the mission drive the gear.

Also - having / using a knife for self defense is basically fantasy LARPing.

TY for the reply. Yeah, I have no hand-to-hand self-defense/tactical skills so I would never carry a knife for that purpose, that's what my carry gun is for.

I would be mainly interested in a general purpose knife that has the most versatility and durability. Don't really care how "pretty" it is, form follows function for me in this instance as I don't collect knives, it is a tool to me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    note: I'm far from an expert.

Hard use but not too expensive brands: SOME higher end Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade, Zero Tolerance. There are plenty of others but those guys are like the 500lb gorillas. Kershaw and ZT are owned by the same parent company, KAI.

And not all of those knives are hard-use. Blade shape and thickness kind of preclude a long skinny blade from being "hard use" as they're probably not up for twisting / side to side movements in the way that a larger/thicker blade would be, ya know? Of course, for actual prying, one uses a prying tool.

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    Since I was at the NWI meet & eat I went to the gun & knife show in Crown Point this weekend.

The array and variety of knives is staggering! What should I look for in a knife and what types are used for which purposes?

I realize you wouldn't use a filleting knife to skin a rabbit or deer, and certain types are for self defense, etc.

I also notice it's easy to find knives that open automatically via a button which I thought was not allowed in IN.

Happy to receive a list of good reading sites for the basics.
    "I also notice it's easy to find knives that open automatically via a button which I thought was not allowed in IN."

Automatic knives (switchblades) are legal in Indiana unless the mechanism can project the blade out of the handle.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    What’s your budget? What are your intended uses? Construction, cutting apples, farm, etc? This is a really broad topic, so it would help to narrow it a little. Also, there automatic knives (like Microtech) and there are assisted opening (like Kershaw SpeedSafe). There are dozens of different steels these days and each may lend itself a little better to your given tasks. I’m happy to talk knives all day, but it would help to know just a little more before giving recommendations.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't remember where I first came across it (maybe here on INGO), but my edc "do it all" knife is nothing fancy. It's an OERLA. Nice heavy thick blade and just seems to be really well made. I know you weren't necessarily looking for a specific brand recommendation, but FWIW...

This is the one I have.

qwe_1024x1024.png

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    "

Automatic knives (switchblades) are legal in Indiana unless the mechanism can project the blade out of the handle.
    If by project (launch) ie if you push the button and the knife separates from handle (like an arrow) you are incorrect!!!

Those are illegal by federal law! And have been since the late 80’s or early 90’s

If you mean project out the front like a out the front automatic knife, you are also incorrect, those are legal in Indiana!

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I don't remember where I first came across it (maybe here on INGO), but my edc "do it all" knife is nothing fancy. It's an OERLA. Nice heavy thick blade and just seems to be really well made. I know you weren't necessarily looking for a specific brand recommendation, but FWIW...

This is the one I have.

qwe_1024x1024.png
    Dang. I really don't think I need another knife...but at that price.........

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Looking for just a good jack-of-all trades sort of thing, nothing super super specialized.

A knife that's just good to be handy, like carving, cutting para cord, opening packages and boxes. Possibly useful as a weapon of (very) last resort. Preferably non-corrosive (non-rusting), strong enough to not break if used mildly beyond its means and keeps a decent edge and simple to sharpen. Also portable, likely a folding knife as shown above, but if a fixed blade is more useful/durable and I must wear it in a sheath, I'd be cool with that as well (althought seeing the above Oerla my questin may have been answered).

Nothing that is optimized for throwing (balanced), and of legal length (whatever that is) is necessary.

Beyond that, I don't know what I don't know about knives, i.e. should I have one with a gut hook or top serrations, etc. and any other must/should have features.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a rather vague question.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Looking for just a good jack-of-all trades sort of thing, nothing super super specialized.

A knife that's just good to be handy, like carving, cutting para cord, opening packages and boxes. Possibly useful as a weapon of (very) last resort. Preferably non-corrosive (non-rusting), strong enough to not break if used mildly beyond its means and keeps a decent edge and simple to sharpen. Also portable, likely a folding knife as shown above, but if a fixed blade is more useful/durable and I must wear it in a sheath, I'd be cool with that as well (althought seeing the above Oerla my questin may have been answered).

Nothing that is optimized for throwing (balanced), and of legal length (whatever that is) is necessary.

Beyond that, I don't know what I don't know about knives, i.e. should I have one with a gut hook or top serrations, etc. and any other must/should have features.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a rather vague question.
    A few recommendations then:

In the $30-$40 range, check out Buck knives. They use a good 420HC steel that Bos heat treats very well. Their Nobleman or Spitfire are good options. I have the Nobleman. It’s a thin profile so it’s very good at slicing. It’s also pretty lightweight. It’s on the smaller side, though. The frame lock is a very good lock.

In the $50-$70 range, check out Kershaw. The Link is made in the USA and comes several different steels depending on your budget. They have a ton of other models. Most are made overseas but they’re a solid knife for the money. A lot of their knives use the SpeedSafe assisted opening. Think automatic knife but not technically automatic.

In the $100-$150 range, I’d recommend Spyderco. Their Paramilitary 3 is one of my favorites. That one also comes in a number of steel options. Their lightweight (LW) line is a little cheaper than the G10 versions, but it’s just preference. If you want something bigger, the Paramilitary 2 is the same knife but bigger. The compression lock on them is awesome. Benchmade puts out good stuff, but they’re a bit controversial in the gun world. They use an Axis lock, which is a bit different than most.

For $300 and beyond, you’ll find just about everything. Chris Reeve Knives makes some excellent “gentleman” folders. Hinderer makes some excellent utilitarian knives as well.

For automatics, Protech and Microtech are the standard. The Kershaw Launch line was also done very well, if you want something closer to $100.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My favorite do it all is a Spiderco Endura wave.

Easy, one hand open and it's faster than an automatic (I'm sure somebody will argue it). Holds a good edge.

Serrated edges are good for bread and people that can't shapen knives. Learn how to sharpen a knife and you'll be happy.

Reactions: Hop

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My favorite do it all is a Spiderco Endura wave.

Easy, one hand open and it's faster than an automatic (I'm sure somebody will argue it). Holds a good edge.

Serrated edges are good for bread and people that can't shapen knives. Learn how to sharpen a knife and you'll be happy.
    I’m not a fan of the Wave feature. But, for those who get the hang of it, it works very well.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I didn't want a self-defense/tactical type knife, I would just carry one of my Case pocket knives, like a 3 blade stockman.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dang. I really don't think I need another knife...but at that price.........
    That's what made me take a chance on it. I'm not a heavy user. Probably cut twine for bundling branches more than anything, along with opening boxes, etc., but it seems like it could handle heavier jobs too.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Support a Hoosier ! Get yerself a Jeff White Bush Knife .... it's based on a classic 'trade knife' shape.
    If you also pay for a custom sheath for it, men will respect you, and women will fall at your feet ! ;) (if that doesn't happen, at least you'll have a great knife)

i-9sgrLDL-L.jpg

i-c6sHwwD-L.jpg

Top Bottom