• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That's exactly what it says. As mentioned though, most people will take it is a total prohibition. Most people would never take the time to look up a law to see what it says.
    That's likely what it is intended to say. But it's not what it actually says.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    We were down there early last week. I never noticed the sign. Walked right in with my CCW on me.....
    I'm no expert but my understanding is that these signs have no weight of law behind them. If they surmise you have a concealed carry on you, they can ask you to leave....

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    We were down there early last week. I never noticed the sign. Walked right in with my CCW on me.....
    I'm no expert but my understanding is that these signs have no weight of law behind them. If they surmise you have a concealed carry on you, they can ask you to leave....
    I don't think that is right. A private business works like that but the Public Library is a political subdivision and may not under State Pre-emption Law ask you to leave for THAT reason. There have been many libraries had to remove the no weapons sgns they had.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No, they can't. Not for that anyway.
    They are not private property.
    They are a political 'subdivision' of the State of Indiana, and therefore can NOT make law regarding guns.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I suppose an OC visit to the library is in order. If anybody does decide to do that, make sure you record your interactions with security. I believe all of their security are off-duty officers within Henry County. Only the New Castle Police Department and, I think, the Knightstown PD have body cameras. The Henry County Sheriffs Office and the other smaller police departments DO NOT have body cameras. Also, there are more than a few officers which believe they have the authority to run serial numbers just because you are in possession of a firearm.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    For selling meth? That's crazy :ugh:
    On Count 2, Defendant is sentenced to the Indiana Department of Correction as a direct commitment to Henry County Community Corrections on home detention for a period of five hundred forty-eight (548) days of which three hundred sixty (365) days are suspended and the Defendant is placed on Formal Probation for three hundred sixty-five (365) days. Defendant is entitled to credit for one (1) days served in jail October 19, 2021 and one (1) good time credit day.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    On Count 2, Defendant is sentenced to the Indiana Department of Correction as a direct commitment to Henry County Community Corrections on home detention for a period of five hundred forty-eight (548) days of which three hundred sixty (365) days are suspended and the Defendant is placed on Formal Probation for three hundred sixty-five (365) days. Defendant is entitled to credit for one (1) days served in jail October 19, 2021 and one (1) good time credit day.
    Here is what he received from the Disciplinary Commission:

For Respondent's professional misconduct, the Court suspends Respondent from the practice of law for a period of 150 days beginning August 31, 2022, with 120 days actively served and the remainder stayed subject to completion of at least two years of probation with continued JLAP monitoring.

kalashnikovfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Henry County
    One set of laws for us plebs and another for the well connected. That's messed up!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    They WANT to keep guns out, but can't, so they make a sign that LOOKS like you can't.
    This way any average dimwitted joe walking in would read in, and feel as though they were being talked down to by some virtue signaling ass-hat.
    Thoroughly conditioned by the media, (out of fear) they would not dare bring a firearm inside.
    Probably works 90% of the time.

I kinda want to go there now, sign in to use the computers, pull up that code (take off my jacket while in OC mode) ... then sit, and wait.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was attending Sky Warn training last night at the New Castle-Henry County Library. As I was going in, I noticed a "Code of Conduct" sign. The last line of the sign stated, "no weapons, except for law enforcement and those allowed by IC 35-47-11.1". I thought that was a sneaky way to get around the Preemption Statute. I know what IC35-47-11.1 states. However, I wonder how many library patrons know what that is?
    A friend was attending the class with me. He is a retired deputy. He used to work security at the library. He stated the staff is extremely liberal. I'm sure they had their attorney come up with that so they don't get sued, yet still push their anti-gun feelings.
    Looks like slight of hand if I read it right. Like anywhere they could ask you to leave and claim trespassing if you don’t but nothing legal other than that.

TapRackDingus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2023
    Oakland County, Michigan
    On a slight tangent, but relevant to this topic- our local library in Michigan (in a 'purple' county) has no mention of prohibiting lawful firearms. I am sure OC here would cause people to be alarmed and raise a huge stink on media channels.

When I lived in Pennsylvania- the local library DID have a rule 'prohibiting weapons' and would have been in the same trouble this Indiana library is in, given Pennsylvania has pre-emption.

Top Bottom