• flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    My point is the Felony part.
    If they were arrested OUTSIDE doing nothing = Protestor?
    They could now up the ante at "Protests" and charge people with felonies which would bar ownership.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Peaceful protest is a First Amendment guaranteed Constitutional right. Merely being present at a truly peaceful, non-violent, not "93%peaceful" protest would not present a basis for a felony charge.

However, it is clear that many of those who breached the police lines, fought the police, and entered the Capitol Building went beyond protest.

This would also be different for those who joined a protest that was later deemed a riot and disobeyed a lawful order to disperse.

Not to say that a DC prosecutor wouldn't try to bring a charge.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Peaceful protest is a First Amendment guaranteed Constitutional right. Merely being present at a truly peaceful, non-violent, not "93%peaceful" protest would not present a basis for a felony charge.

However, it is clear that many of those who breached the police lines, fought the police, and entered the Capitol Building went beyond protest.

This would also be different for those who joined a protest that was later deemed a riot and disobeyed a lawful order to disperse.

Not to say that a DC prosecutor wouldn't try to bring a charge.
    Unfortunately it depends on who gets to define the event as a 'peaceful protest' or a riot.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Unfortunately it depends on who gets to define the event as a 'peaceful protest' or a riot.
    Unfortunately, you're right.

Once the decision is made that the protest has become unlawful, no matter how wrong, or politically motivated, or legally incorrect the decision, a protester's best course of action is to leave, once the order to disperse has been given.

If a decision is made that the protest or assembly is unlawful, and done by the person or body authorized by statute/rule/ordinance, and in conformance with any procedures set forth in the statute/rule/ordinance, a reviewing court is unlikely to not support that decision. At least in my experience and IMHO.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If they're actually arresting the people who remained outside the Capitol Building and remained peaceful, and charging them with felonies, sure, that's something to complain about. But if they committed felonies, then sure, the'd be arrested and prosecuted, and if convicted, they lose their guns.

Remember me saying something like, "if you're gonna start a revolution, you better be ***damn right?" Well. This is a consequence of not.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Who gets charged with what doesn't depend on labels. They either engaged in felony activity or they didn't. The ones that did have some consequences to pay. Besides. It was all Antifa. Those ****ies don't have guns.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If they're actually arresting the people who remained outside the Capitol Building and remained peaceful, and charging them with felonies, sure, that's something to complain about. But if they committed felonies, then sure, the'd be arrested and prosecuted, and if convicted, they lose their guns.

Remember me saying something like, "if you're gonna start a revolution, you better be ***damn right?" Well. This is a consequence of not.
    Pretty much on point......
    Now, about all those BLM and Antifa **** heads that walked.....WTAF

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Please understand that those being arrested were the people inside the Capitol building who trespassed and interfered with the operation of a lawful government. Did anyone see Tropic Thunder? Those that battered police officers, trespassed and committed insurrection went fully there.

Objecting, writing, waving signs, petitioning your government is FAR from the riot that transpired. And now the Left has their Reichstag Fire and then will cram it down our throats.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Please understand that those being arrested were the people inside the Capitol building who trespassed and interfered with the operation of a lawful government. Did anyone see Tropic Thunder? Those that battered police officers, trespassed and committed insurrection went fully there.

Objecting, writing, waving signs, petitioning your government is FAR from the riot that transpired. And now the Left has their Reichstag Fire and then will cram it down our throats.
    I'd rather return to the good ole days of last summer when the complaint about conservatives protesting was, "look at all those conservatives protesting, what with them not wearing masks, and cleaning up after themselves, and not even destroying property!" :runaway:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Jamil's and Kirk's comments support the contention that the right has lost the "moral high ground" with the riot and attempted insurrection at the Capitol. Played completely into their opponents' hands.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Jamil's and Kirk's comments support the contention that the right has lost the "moral high ground" with the riot and attempted insurrection at the Capitol. Played completely into their opponents' hands.
    I'm saying what IS the reality. Not what you want it to be. You have lost the moral ground. The only people who don't think so seem also to support the insurrection (or claim that it actually wasn't one, or claim that someone else did it: all excuses).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Apparently the FBI is arresting those that entered into the Capitol Building for what they did INSIDE the building and out.

“'If you turn me in, you’re a traitor and you know what happens to traitors … traitors get shot,' Reffitt, 48, said to his son and daughter, according to his wife"

This is not protesting. It is naked criminal behavior done with the pretext of some "higher purpose".

So, to recap what these fools did, federal crimes which those now in power will use to attack all of us. Thanks, morons.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I'm saying what IS the reality. Not what you want it to be. You have lost the moral ground. The only people who don't think so seem also to support the insurrection (or claim that it actually wasn't one, or claim that someone else did it: all excuses).
    I'm not disagreeing with you.

Also, please do not assume that I am one who supports the insurrection or the attack on our Capitol building, where lawful proceedings were disrupted. Far from it. The people who violated the law are criminals, regardless of their motivation.

Top Bottom