Instructing Shooters: Do's, Don't's and OMG's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    My point was talking about students that show up, using techniques they have no understanding of. For example, the guy who shows up thinking CAR is where it's at because he watched John Wick. Without having at least a cursory understanding when (and if) CAR is applicable, it's difficult to get that guy to buy into you saying that might not be the answer. Being able to explain the why not, along with the why.

Yes. I call them fantasy shooters. Some have a video game mentality,

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    The list is long, from proper dress to no distractions to proper eyes and ears to well functioning proper sized firearm. A good Instructors course will cover all of this.

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    Is there a specific 22 pistol that most people would recommend woman to start out with? Revolver or semi-auto? I know several woman who want to conceal carry and have gotten their carry permit but they scare me a little because of lack of training. What do most instructors recommend?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is there a specific 22 pistol that most people would recommend woman to start out with? Revolver or semi-auto? I know several woman who want to conceal carry and have gotten their carry permit but they scare me a little because of lack of training. What do most instructors recommend?
    This one is made specifically for that job...

It'll use the same holster and other gear as the G19. Arguably, the most popular self-defence pistol out there.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I picked up a Heritage Arms .22 with a 6.5 inch barrel specifically for the very new newbies. No muzzle climb at all.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I have seen a surprising number of new shooters who can't pull the double action trigger on a revolver. The more I think of it, the more I remember! Those who have the strength will always yank the trigger/gun until they figure out how to squeeze the DA trigger.

For a new shooter interested in carrying, get a carry-like 22: S&W M&P22 or Glock 44.

For every other new shooter: Ruger 22/45, Browning Buckmark, or S&W Victory.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Are you're asking about a pistol for them to own, as opposed to using yours? No. Buying guns is a little like buying shoes. You have to find ones that fit and hands come in all kinds of sizes.
    Likewise, there are varying degrees of hand strength that will affect one's ability to operate a slide. Age/arthritis is a related variable.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    My ex-wife is Russian. Her sister came over from Moscow for a visit. She spoke no English, but had seen "the Beretta" in American movies and was fascinated.

So we had a "safety meeting" in the living room wherein I demonstrated and explained firearms safety and practice, and basic shooting technique. Ex-wife translated and it appeared we were good to go.

We arrived at the gun club's outdoor pistol range during off-hours, and were the only ones there. I demonstrated the Ruger Mark I (22LR) and ran a quick safety overview. All good.

Sister-in-law took Ruger in hand, and after a few adjustments, put lotsa little holes in paper at 7 yards. But when we got to "the Beretta" everything changed.

I should have had her dry fire at first (20/20 hindsight). With the loaded 92F in her hand, safety ON, I attempted to correct her form prior to her first shot. Due to the language barrier, that involved a couple of gentle manual adjustments, but instead of taking direction, she became oppositional and physically resisted! At one point she sort of YANKED THE GUN AWAY FROM ME.

I was startled, and immediately took control of the pistol. She never got to fire a shot. I packed up the range bag and we drove back to the house...in silence. The rest of her visit was "not fun."

LESSONS LEARNED:

1. Do not assume that any new shooter fully understands the destructive potential of a firearms mishap.

2. Remain a bachelor.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Is there a specific 22 pistol that most people would recommend woman to start out with? Revolver or semi-auto?
    I have an old Ruger Mark I that my dad bought from a federal arsenal for $15 back in "what used to be America." It's big and heavy, and looks similar to the classic "German Luger."

I learned the basics from that pistol, and every friend or family member I've taught has enjoyed their first shooting experience with the Ruger Mark I. It's amazingly accurate, points naturally, zero recoil, is extremely easy to charge, AND has big blocky sights that make it easy for new shooters to understand and align front-and-rear sight picture.

I don't know what the current version is. Maybe Mark IV. If Ruger makes a firearm that suits my needs, I buy the Ruger over any other manufacturer. Ruger is classic American gun manufacturing, and as far as I know, has not been bought out by one of the MEGA.CONGLOMERATE.GUNCORPS.

Whenever possible, buy from honorable, patriotic American manufacturers. In this instance, buy Ruger.

Last edited:

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Great information on here all! Can't rally add much to it, but I do always spend hours on safe gun handling and general safety basics (a must) before they ever even hit the range. Sight picture, trigger control, etc. are always enhanced by dry fire and "dry" manipulation exercises. These also go a long way to take any of the "fear" out of handling a firearm. For absolutely new first time shooters, I always make sure they know the inherent safety of a firearm design when handled safely and appropriately, while balancing that with the knowledge of its destructive capability. You know...really take out the "evilness" mindset of firearms simply because they are firearms. Its amazing how good interactive and positive communication WITH them (not merely talking AT them) makes for a very positive experience for all involved. Helps give them some ownership of the process.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    In training the trainer modules we deal with the accountability of not only the delivery of the material BUT ALSO the ongoing measurement of the students skill set through evals. Trainer and student alike. Set a baseline and monitor your success (not just income) as a trainer by continuing the relationship of your students in the never ending process of building better shooting skills. Otherwise just take the money, drop the info and sign up the next class.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I can recommend the Ruger SR22. It's relatively small, the slide is easy to rack, it mimicks the ergonomics and operation of some popular defensive pistols, and...it runs.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I picked up a Heritage Arms .22 with a 6.5 inch barrel specifically for the very new newbies. No muzzle climb at all.
    I'll second Kelly's advice. Especially if they have never fired a gun before. This is the ice breaker. Low noise, very simple operation. No risk of double taps etc.

I bought a second 22LR cylinder from Heritage especially for 22 shorts. It was something like $30. ( This way you're not scrubbing the cylinder to make it easier to get the empty LRs out every time) The shorts are even quieter.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I don’t really recommend a 22 pistol (especially a polymer one) to start training with but as a supplement to the ongoing practice required to become proficient. Unless of course the 22 pistol is the total end game for that person forever.
    As traveling and training throughout the Midwest, I find that I can take the student directly to the 9mm. Since I can provide many different pistols and revolvers along with ammunition, by the end of the first session, he or she will have fun and a better understanding of which way to go. For a noob to buy a gun just because it is easy to rack needs to be defined.

Top Bottom