• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I’ve never really tried to replicate restaurant dishes, if I want that, I just go to the restaurant and order it, much easier, and cheaper when you figure in time and labor.

I still try to replicate stuff my mom made, that’s my holy grail. Have had some success, but for the most part, it’s not the same.
    If you are Near Tea South Dakota let me know especially if you deliver.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    If I could just figure out how to replicate the Puccini‘s pizza Dijon vinaigrette I’d be happy.

It’s the best mustard vinaigrette i’ve had anywhere.

My whiskey peppercorn steak recipe is based on dishes from The Whaling Station and Chez Jean’s restaurants.

I occasionally like to bake a 5 pound bag of potatoes to make bacon cheddar skins even better than Friday’s.

I make a decent replication of my moms rump roast and potato latkes.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I had a school teacher tell the class, (that was a long time ago) that there were two kinds of people, those that ate to live and those those that lived to eat. I'm guessing that everyone on here are the ones that live to eat.
    I hate eating. I'm trying to gain weight and quit smoking though so I'm eating like an Ethiopian at an all you can eat buffet.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I’ve never really tried to replicate restaurant dishes, if I want that, I just go to the restaurant and order it, much easier, and cheaper when you figure in time and labor.

I still try to replicate stuff my mom made, that’s my holy grail. Have had some success, but for the most part, it’s not the same.
    Same here. We've come close to replicating some of Mom's dishes, but it's always missing something. Her touch. A touch that she mastered as an apprentice from Grandma's touch before her. Her dishes bring back fond memories whenever we make them even though they aren't quite exactly the same. God rest her soul. She loved to cook all the old recipes that were handed down to her.

Last edited:

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    Replication for me is to get something I cannot get anymore. One of my favorites is McD’s Big Mac. Today it is an awful overpriced sandwich compared to back in the day. A replicated Big Mac with real quality hamburger and homemade fresh thousand island dressing to go with the rest of the fixings is so good.

Chick-Fil-A cole slaw, so many things I enjoyed are gone or hollow shells of what they once were…
    I can understand the nostalgia factor. Just for the record, the chick FIL a slaw recipe was released by them and available online. It's not perfect, but it's damn close.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I can understand the nostalgia factor. Just for the record, the chick FIL a slaw recipe was released by them and available online. It's not perfect, but it's damn close.
    It is not nostalgia, I like the quality of what they served before super cheap and a hundred year shelf life were paramount over taste.

The slaw recipe is actually posted above…

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My wife can make an Italian beef sandwich you'd swear was Portillo's.
    The hoagie buns are the difficult thing to duplicate down here, we buy the soft "rolls" and split and toast them.
    So what is the secret to removing all flavor from the beef and getting the bread extra soggy? ;)

Top Bottom