• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Having Lived in 15 states, We have been exposed to a lot of cuisine. Some of the places we rather miss. So I was thinking How hard can it be to replicate some of them. So far I have been able to perfect Chicken cheese and rice, Chicken Parm, Sweet Pizza sauce, Famous Daves Brisket, etc.

Anyone Else taken to trying to replicate their favorite menu items?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im struggling hard to replicate Outback's tangy tomato salad dressing. that stuff is amazing. I REALLY wish they would bottle that stuff like St. Elmo's does their cocktail sauce.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My inner chef is tingling at this. My first question is why replicate when you can do it better? That's the entire point of cooking at home beyond just calories and vitamins, right?
    Replication for me is to get something I cannot get anymore. One of my favorites is McD’s Big Mac. Today it is an awful overpriced sandwich compared to back in the day. A replicated Big Mac with real quality hamburger and homemade fresh thousand island dressing to go with the rest of the fixings is so good.

Chick-Fil-A cole slaw, so many things I enjoyed are gone or hollow shells of what they once were…

Reactions: wcd

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Wife and I both like to cook, hence my gravitationally challenged physique....She is really good at copying recipes. We had Swamp soup at the Fish River grill in Gulf Shores AL a couple years ago. They wouldn't talk about the recipe but it was very good. It is greens in a bean/meat/sausage broth that we both liked. She played around and makes a very good copy of it.

I found a recipe for KFC chicken. It is labor intensive but turns out well.

Don

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Wife and I both like to cook, hence my gravitationally challenged physique....She is really good at copying recipes. We had Swamp soup at the Fish River grill in Gulf Shores AL a couple years ago. They wouldn't talk about the recipe but it was very good. It is greens in a bean/meat/sausage broth that we both liked. She played around and makes a very good copy of it.

I found a recipe for KFC chicken. It is labor intensive but turns out well.

Don
    Why is it labor intensive?
    I cooked chicken at a Ginos KFC when I was a kid.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    My Favorite "Dive" while on Vacay is Woodys Waterfront in St Pete Beach.
    They have the Best Spicy Peel & Eat Shrimp!
    I've tried numerous times to replicate it while Back Home Again, even to the point of e-mailing them for their Spice Mixture.
    Been able to Only Get Close.
    Perhaps its lacking that View of the Gulf, from their Waterfront location.
    Sitting there with that Shrimp & a Bucket of Long Necks-Oh My!
    This thread has just gotten Expensive, since I'm Now gonna have to plan my next trip South!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My inner chef is tingling at this. My first question is why replicate when you can do it better? That's the entire point of cooking at home beyond just calories and vitamins, right?
    My goal was to replicate the end product and you are correct after the initial trials. Meals end up tasting better than their restaurant offerings .

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Im struggling hard to replicate Outback's tangy tomato salad dressing. that stuff is amazing. I REALLY wish they would bottle that stuff like St. Elmo's does their cocktail sauce.
    Save yourself some $ and just put a bunch of prepared horseradish in ketchup. That's literally all it is.

We were watching some show for best steakhouses in america. The gal that was responsible for making the cocktail sauce spilled the beans. Ketchup with fresh ground horseradish.

Top Bottom