• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Really cool video. As my google-foo is weak at the moment, I have to ask: I wonder what would happen if you tried running an AR like that? I'm guessing nothing good, but am kinda curious to see such a video if one exists.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Really cool video. As my google-foo is weak at the moment, I have to ask: I wonder what would happen if you tried running an AR like that? I'm guessing nothing good, but am kinda curious to see such a video if one exists.
    A standard AR is DI and you could take the handguard off no problem as long as the barrel nut stayed on. If you removed the gas tube then the party is over :):
    A piston AR you could also run with no handguard

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Looking at the first slow mo of the bullet it kinda looks like it was tumbling?

I noticed that too, and kind of wondered if it's a bit of optical illusion due to the wake of the bullet and the slow frame rate of the camera :dunno: I'm used to watching it as the bullet goes down range to help track a shot, but thankfully not vice versa like in the video.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Not tumbling, normal yaw that all bullets have to some extent but 7N6 is especially prone to due to how long it is with low sectional density due to the steel core. You can see a 5.45 make oblong (but not full keyhole) at close ranges and then take the same rifle plus 50m and be fine.
    Watch the part at :23 paying close attention to the tip and it never actually reverses, the one later around 1:05 is a little more clear. OTOH, this is why I think 5.45 barrels can be shot out so much more quickly or be more sensitive to barrel diameter like the Century Tantal fiasco since the bullet is already on the ragged edge of stability out of the bore.

Snipers and long range shooters talk about bullets "going to sleep" which is where the yaw dampens out and can cause your MOA accuracy actually improving from 100-200m.
    See the yaw section here:
    http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/GUNS/GUNBLST.html

Video of it:
    https://youtu.be/KH9SCbCBHaY

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Not tumbling, normal yaw that all bullets have to some extent but 7N6 is especially prone to due to how long it is with low sectional density due to the steel core. You can see a 5.45 make oblong (but not full keyhole) at close ranges and then take the same rifle plus 50m and be fine.
    Watch the part at :23 paying close attention to the tip and it never actually reverses, the one later around 1:05 is a little more clear. OTOH, this is why I think 5.45 barrels can be shot out so much more quickly or be more sensitive to barrel diameter like the Century Tantal fiasco since the bullet is already on the ragged edge of stability out of the bore.

Snipers and long range shooters talk about bullets "going to sleep" which is where the yaw dampens out and can cause your MOA accuracy actually improving from 100-200m.
    FIREARMS TUTORIAL

Video of it:

Look at the bullet from :28-:30 and see that the tip is pointing strait up and on its way back towards the shooter. That bullet isn't going to stabilize.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

FIREARMS TUTORIAL

Video of it:

Did you watch the video it's clearly spinning.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    So it tumbles end over end until it reaches x meters from the end of the barrel?

I'm guessing, if that's Arsenal's post ban sample, that barrel may be shot out.

its definitely shot out, or one of the early American made barrels that was messed up. That rifle has probably had an insane number of rounds shot through it.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Watch the part at :23 paying close attention to the tip and it never actually reverses, the one later around 1:05 is a little more clear.

Did you watch the video it's clearly spinning.
    Do you mean yawing? ;)

Look at the bullet from :28-:30 and see that the tip is pointing strait up and on its way back towards the shooter. That bullet isn't going to stabilize.
    Not convinced that it actually turns around, does get to a high angle of attack. I still wouldn't be surprised if that stablizes between the rifling spin and the spitzer shape. If it is the same rifle as around the 1:05 muzzle shot you can see that bullet yaw but stabilize. You can't see the same distance from the muzzle as the first part to see if it yawed as bad.

The rifle in the first part of the video looks pretty new with no rubbing on the top of the bolt carrier and clean internals, (granted that doesn't show barrel condition). If they keep the black mag in it, that appears to be the rifle in both the bullet angles, but there is the odder duck of the triangle side folder with a 45 degree gas block using a bakelite mag in the second half which is a much better candidate for being shot out But I would think you would be able to make out the wood handguard/bakelite mag color sploch in the background.

I hope LAV will settle this, the tumbling or not shows up in the comments there and an article about fleet yaw over at thefirearmblog.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

FIREARMS TUTORIAL

Video of it:

I used to believe the "going to sleep" thing. But Brian Litz disagrees because science, and I tend to respect his observations and opinions.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    You can see the bullet spin twice in video. As it emerges from the cloud of smoke its already finishing a spin.

Top Bottom