• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Looking for some input considering a Glock 35 for a competition gun. I used to shoot years ago the bug is starting to itch again. I shot wheel guns back in the day and am finishing up a 1911 now but I like the looks of the Gen 4 35 with the milled area for a red dot. The main reason for the 35 over the 34 is I can swap barrels and go between 40 and 9. Just kicking tires right now but I like the Glock platform. I have both S&W M&P and Glock now I like the fact that for $25 I can put a ghost trigger in the Glock vs $100 for a Apex on the M&P.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I 'assembled' my own G-35 using a Gen II .40 frame and a Gen III Slide...freakin' awesome performance.

I concur with selecting the G-35...being able to switch between .40 and 9mm is an excellent option both for cost as well as varying your shooting options...I've found I prefer Storm Lake 9mm Conversion Barrels over just about everything else...they just hold a tighter grouping...especially at longer distances...35m and out!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    G35 is great if u need to worry about power factor or have to shoot .40 or larger.
    Otherwise, why not get extra capacity of the 9mm?

Switching barrels is great. You can also shoot 357 sig if interested.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Terrific competition gun, especially for the average person not wanting a $2500 pistol. Don't hesitate to get one. If you do USPSA, you can shoot Limited Major with the .40 barrel, or convert it to 9mm and shoot Production division (not legal - Ed.). Make sure and get the Taran Tactical +5/+6 mag baseplates if you're shooting major (19~20 shots of .40). Although there are other good polymer guns available besides Glock, Limited division is all about capacity, and the other polymer gun platforms just don't have the selection of proven capacity-enhancing accessories that are available for Glock, plus triggers, sights, etc. Rock Island does keep hinting around about shipping some hi-cap 2011 type guns in .40, and the weight of that gun is enticing. But again, capacity, availability of mags/holsters, all make the Glock the best contender short of spending 2 or 3 grand on a pistol, imo.

Last edited:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Terrific competition gun, especially for the average person not wanting a $2500 pistol. Don't hesitate to get one. If you do USPSA, you can shoot Limited Major with the .40 barrel, or convert it to 9mm and shoot Production division. Make sure and get the Taran Tactical +5/+6 mag baseplates if you're shooting major (19~20 shots of .40). Although there are other good polymer guns available besides Glock, Limited division is all about capacity, and the other polymer gun platforms just don't have the selection of proven capacity-enhancing accessories that are available for Glock, plus triggers, sights, etc. Rock Island does keep hinting around about shipping some hi-cap 2011 type guns in .40, and the weight of that gun is enticing. But again, capacity, availability of mags/holsters, all make the Glock the best contender short of spending 2 or 3 grand on a pistol, imo.

Can you run stock 40 mags and run a production class in major? Where are the +5/+6 base plate available from? I shot one with a red dot and really like the feel of it. How will adding 6 rounds to the mag affect the balance. You hit on all my questions. Thanks for the input!!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yes, you can run Production with major if you want, just no scoring benefit from it. I have found the fully-loaded 15-shot stock mag doesn't want to seat under a closed slide on my Gen 3 G35 (haven't seen that problem with the 17-shot 9mm mags on my G34). But the extended plates come with a replacement spring, and 19 shots with the extended baseplates work flawlessly. I ordered my +5/+6 baseplates from Taran Tactical .com (I haven't been able to find them anywhere else - they have great service and ship fast). They are a bit expensive, a $40 item basically, but are very well made and I don't mind the cost now that I have them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more; they are much more sturdy and less likely to fall apart when being dropped, because they are one piece. I haven't found the need to put more than 19 rounds in them (though they're advertised for 20). I don't think the extra rounds changes the balance much, just makes the mags a lot easier to grab and seat.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Yes, you can run Production with major if you want, just no scoring benefit from it. I have found the fully-loaded 15-shot stock mag doesn't want to seat under a closed slide on my Gen 3 G35 (haven't seen that problem with the 17-shot 9mm mags on my G34). But the extended plates come with a replacement spring, and 19 shots with the extended baseplates work flawlessly. I ordered my +5/+6 baseplates from Taran Tactical .com (I haven't been able to find them anywhere else - they have great service and ship fast). They are a bit expensive, a $40 item basically, but are very well made and I don't mind the cost now that I have them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more; they are much more sturdy and less likely to fall apart when being dropped, because they are one piece. I haven't found the need to put more than 19 rounds in them (though they're advertised for 20). I don't think the extra rounds changes the balance much, just makes the mags a lot easier to grab and seat.

At this point I am just looking to get my feet wet it's been many years since I shot competitively and just want to get back at it. More to see if I can still play the game. I am set up to load both but only have 1 9 so my supplies for the 9 are not as plentiful as for the 40. Is a mag well a good investment and does that change your class.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    For USPSA production you will want to buy a 34(9mm) and buy a 40 barrel for it to shoot other divisions.
    In production you cannot run a different caliber than what is listed on the slide or that model came from the factory in.
    No drop in barrels in calibers different than what the gun came from the factory with.
    Can use a 35 with a 9mm barrel in limited or limited 10 though.
    All production is scored MINOR no matter what power factor you shoot above 125.

A red dot will put you in open or the new Carry Optics division that looks to be starting up.

FWIW:
    Revolvers in production(:dunno:) is different as you can shoot 38 short colt or long colt or specials out of a .357 marked gun or .40 out of 10mm gun or .45 gap out of a .45 ACP gun. Not that anyone is shooting a revolver in production.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ok thanks Bosshoss figures may have to buy 2 hahaha.

Yes, Boss is right...I stand corrected, I have both a 34 and 35 to use for Prod. and Ltd., and forgot that the rules won't allow you to alter your 35 from its factory configuration when shooting Production.

For USPSA production you will want to buy a 34(9mm) and buy a 40 barrel for it to shoot other divisions...

However, the hole in the front of a G34 9mm slide will not take the .40 barrel, and Lone Wolf does not make a conversion in that direction that I have seen.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You can't convert a G34 9mm to .40. The G35 can be used with a 9mm conversion barrel. That configuration is illegal for USPSA production division. But honestly the local won't check and wouldn't care. Not like you are getting any competitive advantage. Another option would be to reload .40 to minor power factor and not worry about the conversion. The .40 loaded lite would have very little recoil.

My G35 is one of the few guns I regret trading off.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    You can't convert a G34 9mm to .40. The G35 can be used with a 9mm conversion barrel. That configuration is illegal for USPSA production division. But honestly the local won't check and wouldn't care. Not like you are getting any competitive advantage. Another option would be to reload .40 to minor power factor and not worry about the conversion. The .40 loaded lite would have very little recoil.

My G35 is one of the few guns I regret trading off.

That's exactly what I was going to point out...with Glocks, one can tend to go 'down' in caliber (from a larger to a smaller diameter) in many of the Glock pistols...but one can never go 'up' in caliber!

FYI...if you decide to load your .40 'lite'...I prefer to use a lighter 135-155 grain bullet as well...or you'll find that you'll lose velocity too quickly resulting in faster bullet drop...the lighter load will tend to hold a better (flatter) trajectory for a slightly longer distance when using less powder.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    FYI...if you decide to load your .40 'lite'...I prefer to use a lighter 135-155 grain bullet as well...or you'll find that you'll lose velocity too quickly resulting in faster bullet drop...the lighter load will tend to hold a better (flatter) trajectory for a slightly longer distance when using less powder.

I have a 180 and 165 minor load already for the 40 S&W. After reading through the rule books for USPSA and IDPA The 35 with the optic mount would go into the open class with an optic on it. I may just go shoot what I have for a match or 2 and see whats out there.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock 35 with optic would indeed be in Open class. There is a new division for carry optics though. It is for poly guns with optics. Not sure if official or provisional.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For USPSA production you will want to buy a 34(9mm)

FWIW:
    Revolvers in production(:dunno:) is different as you can shoot 38 short colt or long colt or specials out of a .357 marked gun or .40 out of 10mm gun or .45 gap out of a .45 ACP gun. Not that anyone is shooting a revolver in production.

I had a 35 and it was a great gun, I bought it back in 2001 when there was only open, limited and limeted 10. However with the adbent of prduction and with IDPA making 9mm an acceptible caliber again (before IDPA you wouldn't live through the night with a 9 but IDPA came out and POOF it was cool again)

With the 10 round cap limit on IPSC production and IDPA and the same scoring as a minor the 35 is just not the best choice now. Yes you could get a different barrel and all that but I would just get a 34 and stick with it these days. JMHO

As far as the revolvers I shoot a lot of wheelguns and most everyone in USPSA revolver anyway are running 627's in minor with a lot of shooters running 38 colt brass. At At the major matches the 9mm S&W 929 is taking over. Unless you go to the World shoot where revolver is limited to 6 shots. then the 625 still rules.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My dad is shooting a 627 and he seriously considered switching to 38 flat brass. But that would require working up new loads and such. His 38 special shoots pretty darn good.

9mm is definately the cool kid on the block right now.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Thanks for all the input spent the day looking and in the end came home with a S&W CORE 40. I already had some mags and it just felt better in my hand than the Glock. so this round S&W wins. Still may end up with a 34 yet who knows.

Top Bottom