• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Lately, I've been going through my safe and liquidating items that I haven't shot in quite some time and don't see myself shooting much going forward. Long story short, after upgrading some accessories, and taking care of some other expenses, I find myself with some cash leftover and a desire to spend some of it to add something new and different back to the safe. My only firm criteria is that it not be an AR as I already have plenty and am looking for a change of pace. Although, I'm considering a couple of bolt guns I'm primarily looking at semi autos, also leaning slightly toward .223/5.56. I'm primarily looking something that is fun to shoot but can capably/reasonably serve as a backup defensive rifle if necessary. As far as budget goes, I would like to stay around $1800 or under but will consider options up to a max of $2000.

My list of possible options looks like this and in approximately this order so far:

1a. Galil Ace: Gen 1 or Gen 2?
    1b. Tavor: This may be the one exception to 5.56 as I'm leaning toward a Tavor 7 if I go this route.

3. PS90
    4. Steyr AUG
    5. CETME L
    6. Beretta ARX100

Anything else I should consider? Note: I already have a PTR 91, Bren 2, and a couple of PCRs and I'm not looking to duplicate any of those or add another PCR.

As far as bolt guns go I'm considering the Sako S20 but leaning hard toward a semi auto. If the Impulse were more available and in more interesting calibers, that would probably be higher up the list.

Any feedback from owners of the above is appreciated.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Tavor X95 and AUG are both firm choices. Drawbacks on the AUG is proprietary magazines unless you get the right lower and for both it is harder to switch sides for LH.

Maybe check out the RDB? Easily ambi and takes STANAG mags.

Ta

Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    I have to say a gen 2 ace is pretty high on my list of wants right now. No experience just really like the system from an onlookers stand point.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If your budget is 2k the styer aug is the only true choice if you can even find one at that price. I believe the A3 version takes AR mags but I have seen the styer mags run 30-49 each.
    I like the cool factor but the choice is only yours.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Tavor X95 and AUG are both firm choices. Drawbacks on the AUG is proprietary magazines unless you get the right lower and for both it is harder to switch sides for LH.

Maybe check out the RDB? Easily ambi and takes STANAG mags.

Ta
    I thought about the RDB but left it off because I wasn't sure it was in the same class as the other options.

The AUG is definitely one I could see climbing the list but not quite convinced yet.

I keep going back and forth between the X95 and the Tavor 7. On one hand, the ability to shoot .223/5.56 is a plus as is the possibility to change calibers. On the other, the options for .308 bullpups are more limited and in that market the Tavor is pretty well priced. Being chambered in .308 adds a bit of versatility as well.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If your budget is 2k the styer aug is the only true choice if you can even find one at that price. I believe the A3 version takes AR mags but I have seen the styer mags run 30-49 each.
    I like the cool factor but the choice is only yours.
    I haven't looked much yet, since I'm still early in the process but I did want to make sure it was possible to find one for around $2k. I found a few for just under that before shipping, taxes, and transfer fees.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    If you are looking for .308, maybe RFB? The ones I have are a bit heavy but compact and reliable. Takes FAL mags so they won't be hard to find. And doesn't maul my brass like the CETME, or fling it into the next county.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    From your list alone, I vote gen-1 Galil ACE. The factory irons are brilliant, and the second gens look goofy to me. You can add a KNS plastic delete kit, Midwest Industries or RS Regulate handguards, and stock adapter if you want to "upgrade" the gen-1, but losing those factory irons was a stupid move and a dealbreaker IMHO.

Working away from your list, I'd toss a Polish Beryl, Serbian M90, and Bulgarian SAM5 into the mix of considerations. All AK variants, all skillfully constructed in legendary arms factories, and all very high quality guns.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    M1A loaded in 6.5 cr

If it was me, Rem R25 in 7mm-08, but I'd have to do something about that mossy oak

Cooler, but far less practical FN49 Venezuelan contract in 7 x 57

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Is the Mini 14 an option? When I think semiauto 5.56 that’s not an AR, that’s my first thought.

It certainly wins in the weight category compared to several on your list.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    M1A, I've had one since 1980 and it's still a great rifle. Like Spencer rifle said those G3 style guns are rough on brass, or launch it into low earth orbit, or both.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Lately, I've been going through my safe and liquidating items that I haven't shot in quite some time and don't see myself shooting much going forward. Long story short, after upgrading some accessories, and taking care of some other expenses, I find myself with some cash leftover and a desire to spend some of it to add something new and different back to the safe. My only firm criteria is that it not be an AR as I already have plenty and am looking for a change of pace. Although, I'm considering a couple of bolt guns I'm primarily looking at semi autos, also leaning slightly toward .223/5.56. I'm primarily looking something that is fun to shoot but can capably/reasonably serve as a backup defensive rifle if necessary. As far as budget goes, I would like to stay around $1800 or under but will consider options up to a max of $2000.

My list of possible options looks like this and in approximately this order so far:

1a. Galil Ace: Gen 1 or Gen 2?
    1b. Tavor: This may be the one exception to 5.56 as I'm leaning toward a Tavor 7 if I go this route.

3. PS90
    4. Steyr AUG
    5. CETME L
    6. Beretta ARX100

Anything else I should consider? Note: I already have a PTR 91, Bren 2, and a couple of PCRs and I'm not looking to duplicate any of those or add another PCR.

As far as bolt guns go I'm considering the Sako S20 but leaning hard toward a semi auto. If the Impulse were more available and in more interesting calibers, that would probably be higher up the list.

Any feedback from owners of the above is appreciated.

My vote would be a TAVOR X95. If your CZ Bren 2 is 556 then my choice would be a CZ Bren 2 in 7.62X39!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    M1A, I've had one since 1980 and it's still a great rifle. Like Spencer rifle said those G3 style guns are rough on brass, or launch it into low earth orbit, or both.
    Yes, I already have a PTR-91 and one brass mangler/launcher in .308 is enough. If I end up going the .308 route it will be something that is easier on the brass.

Edited to add: I want to like the M1A but it just isn't doing it for me right now.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The mini 14 is not something I've considered until now but I think it is on the list of rifles I would like to own eventually but not something I'm really interested in right now.

The Fn49 is definitely something I would like to own someday but I already have more types of milsurp semi autos than modern ones so I think I want to stay modern on this one. Tempting though, very tempting.

The AK variants are interesting as well but I need to learn a lot more about them before I consider taking that plunge. I kind of see the ACE as a way to stick my toe in to test those waters.

Does anyone have any direct experience with the Marcolmar CETME L? I really like my PTR-91 but don't shoot it as much since it is so destructive of the brass. Having something similar in .223 would take a lot of the sting out of the brass destruction.

Awesome! If you ever decide to sell it let me know.
    I haven't put enough rounds through it yet but so far it hasn't shown any of the problems that others have seen with some of the 7.62x39 models. I'll probably keep this one for a good long time.

Top Bottom