• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have two hobbies represented by my collections. My wife used to accuse me of also collecting motorcycles, but that was not a collection, it was just how many a man needs.

There will likely be a time when the wife has to sell the collections. I have given her contact information of friends I trust in both of those areas of interest, and the names of shops in the business that have always been fair and honest in our business deals. No relatives are in the They will help her to regain at least 50% of the value, and I told her to reward the friends with a free pick of the items for their trouble.

In the past I had made of lists of current values, but sometimes that list can be way wrong in just a few years.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I love the above recommendation of offering the items you don't personally want to friends of your dad. That's a great way share and celebrate him. If you do decide to sell any, and don't personally need the money, perhaps donating the sales proceeds to a cause your father might have cared about and doing it in his name. Or using the money to buy a memorial of some sort, say a commemorative brick in a building or street that bears you fathers name.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Sorry for your loss OP.
    I've sold my Dad's, my brothers and my sons guns. It will work on you. If I had it to do over I would strongly consider a one and done auction.
    Good luck to you.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Sorry for your loss OP.
    I've sold my Dad's, my brothers and my sons guns. It will work on you. If I had it to do over I would strongly consider a one and done auction.
    Good luck to you.

If I'm reading that right, sincere condolances. No man should have to sell his son's items. I can't imagine that kind of pain.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I’ll offer a slightly different course of action, one that I found immensely fulfilling.

Years ago I inherited dozens of guns from a family member. It was truly more guns than I could handle. (A good problem right?)

I sold some and used the funds to buy some very nice guns that I use regularly. A few quality pieces or ones with family history I kept. The other family members were mostly deceased or had their own substantial collections.

I most enjoyed the following though:
    I knew a few younger guys that were very into guns, but didn’t have much in the way of funds to build their collections. I gifted several firearms to these guys, and it meant the world to them. To a broke 25-year-old obsessed with guns, an old Mauser can be a priceless gift.

I shared the history behind the guns, and figured that the original owner, were he to somehow look down and see how much his guns were being appreciated, would approve.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    Idea for parents In here:

My dad does this cool thing where he gives my brothers and I one gun from his collection every Christmas. He knows we’ll inherit them eventually, but this way he gets to see us enjoy them like he does….

He’s done this since I was a teenager and I’m now 30. None of these guns will ever leave my collection, but I hope to continue this tradition someday with my children. It kept me interested in firearms and I will always have these cool Christmas memories.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Idea for parents In here:

My dad does this cool thing where he gives my brothers and I one gun from his collection every Christmas. He knows we’ll inherit them eventually, but this way he gets to see us enjoy them like he does….

He’s done this since I was a teenager and I’m now 30. None of these guns will ever leave my collection, but I hope to continue this tradition someday with my children. It kept me interested in firearms and I will always have these cool Christmas memories.
    Kudos to your dad. A nice practice, wish I had started that logic at a younger age..

Top Bottom