INGO PSA- Take a few minutes to clean out your AC outdoor unit...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Its going to be hot this week... You don't want to have your better half hot and bothered when your AC takes a crap...

Take a few minutes to hose out your AC unit with some dish soap or use a power washer. :thumbsup:

:ingo: :patriot:

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My little bro does heat/AC work.

He had me pump about a whole spray bottle of Simple Green onto mine and then hose it off.

Crazy how much dirt and grime those fins collect.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Its going to be hot this week... You don't want to have your better half hot and bothered when your AC takes a crap...

Take a few minutes to hose out your AC unit with some dish soap or use a power washer.

:ingo: :patriot:
    Yes please clean your ACs…. Just NOT with a pressure washer. I’ve replaced way too many units and coils because someone read on the interwebz that was the way to do it. Simple Green and a garden hose will do an excellent job. Really check the side closest to the house… that’s the side most forget to look at and they are usually the worst.

I usually recommend waiting unit after the cottonwood is done flying to check and clean your coil. If you do it early and then the cottonwood snow happens, you’ll need to do it again if you have them close to home.

If you keep your AC clean and happy, it will keep you cool and keep your cash in your wallet instead of paying a ugly repair bill.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And given the amount of Cottonwood fuzz floating around, this is a great reminder.
    And if you have a very high efficiency unit, you may want to remove the top and hit it from both sides. Some outdoor units have two sets of coils. So hosing down the outside wont really get the inside well.

My little bro does heat/AC work.

He had me pump about a whole spray bottle of Simple Green onto mine and then hose it off.

Crazy how much dirt and grime those fins collect.
    Stop! Simple green is corrosive to aluminum!

Dont get me wrong, I swear by that stuff. Its damn effective, smells great, and is non toxic.

In theory its only corrosive at full strength, and only if left on the metal. But still. Could be an expensive mistake. It would really suck to miss a spot and the corrosion starts and then continues.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Stop! Simple green is corrosive to aluminum!

Dont get me wrong, I swear by that stuff. Its damn effective, smells great, and is non toxic.

In theory its only corrosive at full strength, and only if left on the metal. But still. Could be an expensive mistake. It would really suck to miss a spot and the corrosion starts and then continues.
    Wow. Never knew that.

Mine is the diluted/spray bottle kind so I'll be sure to rinse, a lot.

I guess they have an aircraft safe grade out now that should be GTG for AC cleaning.

Is it safe to use Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner on aluminum?​

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process.

Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow. Never knew that.

Mine is the diluted/spray bottle kind so I'll be sure to rinse, a lot.

I guess they have an aircraft safe grade out now that should be GTG for AC cleaning.
    My only concern is how expensive (and important) those things are. I agree with them on the "it SHOULD be fine if you rinse well" But personally I'll use a purpose built cleaner for something that expensive with nooks and crannies.
    I use this when I need more than just water.

Amazon product ASIN B0C2MLY6N1
    You can get it for $8 at lowes and other big box hardware stores. But in their infinite wisdom they prevent direct access to product pages on their website. So you cant share product links with others. Morons. One can is enough for 2 units typically.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I just usually use just water.

I am also the guy that ends up doing it twice because mine will get filled with cottonwood fluff, then will get filled again after I clean it off. I also live next to a woods, so that might be why mine gets coated so much.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    REMINDER!!

Cottonwood has stopped flying about, popped the covers off today... Looked like a wool blanket covering everything up.

Get out the hose and have at it.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    My only concern is how expensive (and important) those things are. I agree with them on the "it SHOULD be fine if you rinse well" But personally I'll use a purpose built cleaner for something that expensive with nooks and crannies.
    I use this when I need more than just water.

Amazon product ASIN B0C2MLY6N1
    You can get it for $8 at lowes and other big box hardware stores. But in their infinite wisdom they prevent direct access to product pages on their website. So you cant share product links with others. Morons. One can is enough for 2 units typically.
    So I had an HVAC guy at mom's house the other day for the usual spring maintenance/check.

I asked him about using that foamy cleaner and he was against it. Very helpful and competent guy, so I don't think he was just trying to get business. I had never heard that and have seen alot of YouTube HVAC guys advocate for it.

What's the real deal with these foamy cleaners?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I had an HVAC guy at mom's house the other day for the usual spring maintenance/check.

I asked him about using that foamy cleaner and he was against it. Very helpful and competent guy, so I don't think he was just trying to get business. I had never heard that and have seen alot of YouTube HVAC guys advocate for it.

What's the real deal with these foamy cleaners?
    I should have clarified I only use it every couple years myself. Normally just hosing it down is just fine. Or if I want extra cleaning on the inside when I cant hose it down.

Probably only really necessary for coils that have been badly neglected and have a crust on them.

Top Bottom