INGO lawyers chime in please. Need help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I’ve been contacted by an individual that I sold a car to seven months ago telling me that I misrepresented the condition of the car and he is going to sue me for damages and put a lien on my house unless I settle with him. Thoughts? Do I need to lawyer up or is this guy blowing smoke?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I’ve been contacted by an individual that I sold a car to seven months ago telling me that I misrepresented the condition of the car and he is going to sue me for damages and put a lien on my house unless I settle with him. Thoughts? Do I need to lawyer up or is this guy blowing smoke?
    Asking lawyers about lawyering up. Lol

Any verbal or more importantly written agreement with any guarantees? You are beyond the 3mo window most dealers give on used vehicles. I would just ignore him until you get something more than a verbal threat then lawyer up

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I didn’t (yes I see the purple). I sent him every picture and video he asked for. He bought it sight unseen from Texas and now half a year later he’s extra mad.
    FWIW, if there does come a point that you really need a lawyer it would be really helpful if you had a written record of everything he asked for and your replies if that is still possible.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I sold a man a running 6 cylinder Nova that had just passed safety inspection (they don't fail you for ugly). I felt sorry for him and sold it for the $200 that was all he had. Even back then it was a $500 car. He even signed the "as is" receipt. He drove it to work all winter and it never failed to start. Then he started with the whole "you ripped me off crap". I told him to have his lawyer contact me, never heard a word after that.

These days, document everything.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am not an attorney but I am a dealer. I have seen people threaten all kinds of things over the past 15 years. It sucks when people act like this and can raise the anxiety level but they just hope you fold.

Hes got nothing. Sure he may pay some attorney a couple hundred bucks to fire off a letter but the deal is done. And to be honest thats all most people do is b**** and threaten.

Did you have him sign any type of receipt or bill of sale? Something stating "sold as is, no warranty"?

Tell him if he doesnt like it sell it.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I am not an attorney but I am a dealer. I have seen people threaten all kinds of things over the past 15 years. It sucks when people act like this and can raise the anxiety level but they just hope you fold.

Hes got nothing. Sure he may pay some attorney a couple hundred bucks to fire off a letter but the deal is done. And to be honest thats all most people do is b**** and threaten.

Did you have him sign any type of receipt or bill of sale? Something stating "sold as is, no warranty"?

Tell him if he doesnt like it sell it.

I think that’s where his problem is. I think he’s trying to sell it and can’t.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I sold a 2001 Ford Escape to a guy for $800. It ran, 4WD worked, and had never broke down on me. I told him everything that I had done to it, and everything that I knew was wrong with it. Two weeks later, my phone is blowing up with him threatening to call the cops and sue me. Turns out he had taken it to a shop, and they told him it was unsafe and needed over $3000 in repairs. As soon as he said "lawyer", I just ignored him. Nothing ever came of it.

I've watched enough People's Court to know that used vehicles are sold "as is" unless otherwise stated. The phrase "caveat emptor" comes up frequently, meaning "buyer beware." It is the buyer's responsibility to confirm that the vehicle is in a condition that is satisfactory. He has no case. He is just hoping you will cave and refund some money. Ignore him and go about your business.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Neighbor sent my dad a letter from a "lawyer" once. It was on 8x11 legal paper, printed in pencil with bad spelling.
    Now if it had been made out of letters cut out of various magazines and pasted to a sheet of paper? I'd take that very seriously. Bad spellin and a #2 pencil? Not so much.

Top Bottom