• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    45 ACP 230 gr RN - FMJ and lead bullets from Standard Bullet Co.
    Bullseye 5.3 gr
    COAL 1.265"
    Primer used both Winchester and Zapalky

Taurus P24/7 4.25" barrel
    According to Lyman 50th Reloading Handbook, 5.3 grains of Alliant Bullseye with a 230 gr. FMJ bullet is a MAXIMUM load.

HappyHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2022
    North West Indiana
    Once stopped someone from shooting his Glock…turns out the odd noise he heard/felt was a stuck bullet in his barrel.

Turned out to be a lead bullet, all he ever loaded. Accuracy had been poor lately, he recanted.

DO NOT SHOOT LEAD IN A STANDARD GLOCK BARREL.

I do not bash Glock guns. There are a fine tool…even own a 17. Some day may consider the 10mm Glock.

Shooters are the best people you will be around, they share.

Fred

HappyHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2022
    North West Indiana
    For my customized 686-4. This is a Bianchi/PPC gun.

Zero #102, 125 gr JHP over 5.2 Gr W231 (HP38) Starline 38 special brass with a Federal 100 or 150 primer.

Have had so many great times with this wheelgun, I will never sell this much fun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Once stopped someone from shooting his Glock…turns out the odd noise he heard/felt was a stuck bullet in his barrel.

Turned out to be a lead bullet, all he ever loaded. Accuracy had been poor lately, he recanted.

I do not bash Glock guns. There are a fine tool…even own a 17. Some day may consider the 10mm Glock.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Plenty of us have shot lots and lots of lead through our Glocks. Some of us even cast our own lead boolits for exclusive use in our Glocks.

Typically, lead buildup in pistol barrels comes from bullet sizing in relation to bore size. Normally the leading develops from "undersized" bullets that allow gas blow by between the bullet and bore. Gas cutting is the problem. You want a bullet sized to seal the gasses behind it.

HappyHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2022
    North West Indiana
    Hi Fred,

Plenty of us have shot lots and lots of lead through our Glocks. Some of us even cast our own lead boolits for exclusive use in our Glocks.

Typically, lead buildup in pistol barrels comes from bullet sizing in relation to bore size. Normally the leading develops from "undersized" bullets that allow gas blow by between the bullet and bore. Gas cutting is the problem. You want a bullet sized to seal the gasses behind it.

Do you feel that a cast bullet is less likely to lead in polygonal rifling than swaged lead bullets?

Glock says not to use lead bullets…i believe this was for generations 1-4.

I shoot my 17 for fun and carry it for protection when 4 wheeling on remote trails. It’s jacketed bullets for me, I load 125 gr jhp with 4.2 gr Titegroup. Carry heavier factory jhp for personal protection.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you feel that a cast bullet is less likely to lead in polygonal rifling than swaged lead bullets?

I shoot my 17 for fun and carry it for protection when 4 wheeling on remote trails. It’s jacketed bullets for me, I load 125 gr jhp with 4.2 gr Titegroup. Carry heavier factory jhp for personal protection.

I have never used swaged lead, so I cannot speak to that. It is my understanding the shooting any reload will void the Glock warranty? I cannot blame them for the CYA.

Any gun that you don't shoot exclusively jacketed bullets in should be inspected frequently for leading. More than one reason for this to happen.

Most folks that shoot Glocks in any sort of competition have to reload to be able to afford the costs. I have cast and powder coated my own boolits since moving to the Glock platform some years ago. All gen 4's and now 5's.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Ive been shooting my cast bullets in gen 2's since they were new.
    If a gun is leading you have a bullet sizing problem or lack of amount or the correct lube on the bullet.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Fred
    I don't shoot Glocks or other polygonal barreled pistols. That being said, the stuck lead bullet likely had less to do with the bullet and more to do with the powder charge or lack thereof. IIRC, the unsupported barrels of the Glocks that were causing kabooms were mostly .40 S&W caliber.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Fred
    I've shot hard cast bullets on the hot side in my Glock 20sf factory barrel without any problems. (Other than the unsupported chamber)
    If a bullet got stuck in the barrel it was from not having enough powder to push it out. Many times it's because of no powder, and just a primer only.
    Hard Cast is not lead that Glock was warning about many years ago. Hard Cast bullets can be harder than metal jacket bullets. IIRC 16 BHN is as hard or harder than a copper jacketed bullet.

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis

I cant speak to polygonal rifling and leading but typically swaged bullets are softer than cast. Basically with swaging they are taking lead rod and smooshing into a bullet shape, in order to do that the material being worked with is on the softer side.

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    In 6 arc brass I did a ladder test with leverevolution and found with 28.9 grains, a Berger 95 grain vld cci 400 primes and oal of 2.35 I got a SD of 8 and ES of 18. This was with 5 rounds. When I saw that SD I got a big grin on my face. I took that charge and did a seating depth test starting with 2.39 going down in .005 increments. the only ones that showed promise were at 2.280 and 2.285, these were three shot groups. I goofed on one load and it was at 2.25 oal so to round out the batch of 20 I made a second one at 2.25. when I shot the 2.25 I thought I was way off on the second shot. They were overlapped by half a bullet hole. I was blown away. They showed very light ejector swipes but the primer was still rounded. I will have to load up more just to see if that was a fluke thing. All testing was done at 100 yards. This was with a Ballistic Advantage 24inch heavy barrel.

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    I may be late to this idea but I figured I would share it. I was down to the last couple hundred grains of a powder. It was below the sightglass of my lyman 55 measure. So I was throwing a charge into a case, dumping it into the pan on the scale, then putting it back in the case then seating the slug. The measure is mounted on the die holder so I cant get the scale pan to the bottom of the measure, I hope that makes sense. Anyway, I had the thought to zero the digital scale with each piece of brass before I charged it, then weigh it after so I knew I was getting a full charge. Just thought it might help those of you who are about out of a particular powder and were concerned about a light charge.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Anyone have any older 357 sig load data they want to share for Blue Dot? I don't have many older manuals, thinking data from early 2000s up to maybe 2013. Want to use 125 gr jacketed FPs but could get other bullets if needed

Danke

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Anyone have any older 357 sig load data they want to share for Blue Dot? I don't have many older manuals, thinking data from early 2000s up to maybe 2013. Want to use 125 gr jacketed FPs but could get other bullets if needed

Danke
    This is the first manual I peeked at. Sig has been a bit illusive with loads of reloading data. Hopefully it helps you.
    20230420_125357.jpg

20230420_125323.jpg 20230420_125302.jpg

Attachments

• 20230420_125302.jpg
      20230420_125302.jpg
      349.4 KB · Views: 5

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And thank you, also, sir. When engaging in this type of project I always like as much data as possible to start with

Since this round has such a limited bearing area of the case upon the bullet, I am very interested in data from the low end also to minimize the potential for a reduced charge round to squib while beginning the ladder

Top Bottom