• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I got Extra so I could chase DX. They're always hanging out in the Extra class portion. Plus knowing band edges is simpler. Also a VE but sadly have never administered a test yet.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm scheduled to take the Technician test in October. YouTube has several good sources for information. In particular, the first ones I watched were from a site called "Ham 2.0" and were a three- or four- session course on the Technician questions, but instead of just giving the questions and the answers, the instructor gave the INFORMATION and related them to the questions. After watching the sessions, I went to one of the websites featuring the FCC question pool and was passing 8 out of 10 times. That was with the old question pool, however.

Since then, I laid off for about six months and had a fair amount of trouble with the new tests until I brought myself back up to speed. I don't anticipate any trouble passing the real exam when I take it next month.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I'm scheduled to take the Technician test in October. YouTube has several good sources for information. In particular, the first ones I watched were from a site called "Ham 2.0" and were a three- or four- session course on the Technician questions, but instead of just giving the questions and the answers, the instructor gave the INFORMATION and related them to the questions. After watching the sessions, I went to one of the websites featuring the FCC question pool and was passing 8 out of 10 times. That was with the old question pool, however.

Since then, I laid off for about six months and had a fair amount of trouble with the new tests until I brought myself back up to speed. I don't anticipate any trouble passing the real exam when I take it next month.
    I'm sure you will do fine if you were passing it on the practice exams. I practiced a lot for mine because I just wanted to be sure. This is the site I used, and will use it again when I upgrade. On the left side of the page you will see all 3 license options. Just look at the Tech flash cards, practice test or the question pool. I started using the flash cards because I got immediate feedback on if I was right or what the correct answer was rather than wait on a full 35 question test. I can also just select "skip" and it gives the correct answer.

Flytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    NWI
    Anybody getting on the bands lately? They've been really hot. HF.
    I've been playing a little bit with this digital radio VHF stuff. Pretty interesting, but I'm kind of an old school regular 2-m guy.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm interested.

I've been a General class for several years but only recently purchased a HF rig. I'm looking for people to attempt NVIS 40/80m comms with locally.

indydave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    folks,
    i am looking at this ETON 750 i do not want to transmit, nor take the license test. just want to listen to it for news or intel

pros cons

it seems pretty versitile

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    folks,
    i am looking at this ETON 750 i do not want to transmit, nor take the license test. just want to listen to it for news or intel

pros cons

it seems pretty versitile
    It should work for you. The gotcha will be the antenna.

And you can buy a transceiver legally without a license. you just cant push the button. (but if you ever get the urge to get the license, you already have the transmitter)
    Also, if you are computer savvy, these are nice. (once again, antenna)

Last edited:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Anyone in the Indy area use any of the local GRMS repeaters? I have a few questions on how to input the tones for the repeaters I was given access too.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Anyone in the Indy area use any of the local GRMS repeaters? I have a few questions on how to input the tones for the repeaters I was given access too.
    I'm not in Indy but I use the local NWI GMRS repeaters all the time. Not really much difference than the 2 meter and 70 cm HAM repeaters... What are you having issues with ?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Anybody getting on the bands lately? They've been really hot. HF.
    I've been playing a little bit with this digital radio VHF stuff. Pretty interesting, but I'm kind of an old school regular 2-m guy.
    I think VHF digital is a little bit of a sleeper. I’m learning more about it too and I’m wondering (for a future application) how well it would do line-of-sight for distance and urban penetration.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Folks,
    what transmit capable radio covers the same bands as the Eton 750 ?
    then later take the license test?
    Well there isn't going to be a direct apples to apples match for the Eton 750 as it covers parts of HF and then some 2 meters with the Aircraft frequencies. HAM transceiver options will be in a all band, all mode radio. The first two that come to mind would be the ICOM IC-705 which is going to be way expensive and just under that would be the Yaesu FT-991A. The ICOM and the Yaesu are going to have a much larger frequency range than the Eton will but it will cover the bands the Eton does do. The ICOM is going to be about 1300 dollars new and the Yaesu will come in around 950 and either radio will have to be MARSCAP mod'd to open up the coverage to get the most out of the radio for listening. Just a note, my 991a is one heck of a radio.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    I don't know about everyone else out there, but I would like to become involved with radio communications club. I can't think of a better group of folks that I would like to learn the basics from.

What do yal think?

Greater Indianapolis Area
    Came here to drop the same inquiry. i have a few cheap ham radios i use for NOAA and picking up police/ems chatter but dont really have the interest and bank roll to get fully into it. that being said i am interested to learn more and set myself up to get the most out of the radios if SHTF. so yeah i could 100% get on board with a beginners crash course for people with interest.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Hi folks!

I'm working on my Technician license right now. Any tips for finding a testing location?
    You can go to the ARRL website and there in the menus is a link to search out testing opportunities.

Here’s the direct link to the search

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Hi folks!

I'm working on my Technician license right now. Any tips for finding a testing location?
    Hey there,

Go the ARRL "Amateur Radio Relay League" link here. Find An Exam

At least 1 test site/location in the Indy area each month. TONS of info on the ARRL website.

Welcome to a very interesting hobby!

Pappy. WR1Y

Edit- Looks like "notalentbum" had the info first!

Top Bottom