• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rosenbah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Springfield, OH
    Hey Guys, Just found this thread. Search for the "No Nonsense" study guides by KB6NU. I've got a general ticket and used this approach - 10 years ago. The Technician guide is free and you have to pay for the General and Extra. (I am hoping to get the Extra ticket in Feb)

Hamexam.org is where I go to practice. When I consistently pass there I'll take the exam.

KD8SHI

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Confirming the date and time but Marion County Emergency Management/CERT will be hosting a tech exam at the EOC near the end of this month. Pretty sure the 28th but I’ll post up the details when I get them.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Confirming the date and time but Marion County Emergency Management/CERT will be hosting a tech exam at the EOC near the end of this month. Pretty sure the 28th but I’ll post up the details when I get them.
    CERT is hosting a Technician class and test. It is done over the 15th and 22nd of January. It is two Saturdays. I believe the class will be the 15th and the morning of the 22nd then the testing in the afternoon. I believe you have to attend both days.
    You can get more information on Eventbrite app, search for CERT. Class is held at the Marion County EEOC off Shadeland Ave.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    CERT is hosting a Technician class and test. It is done over the 15th and 22nd of January. It is two Saturdays. I believe the class will be the 15th and the morning of the 22nd then the testing in the afternoon. I believe you have to attend both days.
    You can get more information on Eventbrite app, search for CERT. Class is held at the Marion County EEOC off Shadeland Ave.
    The Hamilton County ARRL guys did a class like this a few years ago. Started at 8 am and we tested for our tech ticket at 3 or 4 that afternoon. It was a great way to get started.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Interesting update for those buying new UV-5Rs that want to skirt the regs and use it as a dual purpose radio.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, unlocked new old stock radios are still on amazon. Bought 4 radios this week. 2 5rs and 2 8+. all unlocked. :dunno:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Can anyone advise me on where I can go to take my technician license at?
    I was told to study for Technician and General both. When I went to test and passed the Technician they handed me the next test. I got a better score on the General than I did on the first test. Probably because I quit studying the Technician when I started looking at the General. If it seams easy, study for both and save a trip.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I was told to study for Technician and General both. When I went to test and passed the Technician they handed me the next test. I got a better score on the General than I did on the first test. Probably because I quit studying the Technician when I started looking at the General. If it seams easy, study for both and save a trip.
    I took my two tests a few months apart and did about twice as well on general. I wonder how common it is. Extra kicked my ass got like a 40% after studying for 3 months

CPE1704TKS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I took my two tests a few months apart and did about twice as well on general. I wonder how common it is. Extra kicked my ass got like a 40% after studying for 3 months
    I passed the general test tonight and got done pretty quick. I tried the Extra test just to see how hard it is going to be and it is going to take a lot of studying to pass!

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I passed the general test tonight and got done pretty quick. I tried the Extra test just to see how hard it is going to be and it is going to take a lot of studying to pass!
    That is the common response to seeing the Extra test! There is such a wide variety of information and little of it is anything you can logically figure out. I forget the book I used but it only covered the correct answers to the questions. The thought was that you’d recognize the correct answers sine you had never seen the wrong answers. It worked pretty well for me! I read about 30 minutes a day through the week for about a month and passed safely.

Matt, NE9D

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Well, after thinking I need to do this for the last 10 years, my son and I went and took the technician test on Saturday. We both passed, and will hopefully have our ID's tomorrow or Tuesday. Now to start studying for the general,and hopefully take that test next month.
    Congrats!
    General isn’t much tougher than the Technician. Pretty much the same material. Extra is a whole new ball game. Lots of totally different material.

Matt

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you are thinking about an upgrade or getting your license, do it now. As of April 19th, the FCC will be charging $35 for new and upgrades.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Well, after thinking I need to do this for the last 10 years, my son and I went and took the technician test on Saturday. We both passed, and will hopefully have our ID's tomorrow or Tuesday. Now to start studying for the general,and hopefully take that test next month.
    Congrats on passing, now get ready for the general so you can play some HF voice. We need an INGO 80m or 160m net, any takers?

Top Bottom