• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    What study guide are you using? I've tried a couple different App based study guides, they didn't really seem to teach anything, just give you a bunch of Q&A to memorize

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Inhamoperators.com

Follow the helpful study guides link.

I read the nonsense tech guide twice. Then started taking practice tests. Sections I had trouble with I reread in the guide. Then took more practice tests. Rinse and repeat till you are hitting consistent mid to high 90s. The ln go take the real test. When I got my tech lic I used tr practice tests on qrz. For my general I used ham study .org.

If you go to the link I posted at the top there is more than enough there to get you licensed.

Good luck!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Got my Btech UV50x2 and Nagoya UT72 in the mail today! Gonna read the manual before I set it up just to cover my butt.
    I assume this is for GMRS? When you get your callsign go to mygmrs.com and set up and account. There are weekly nets on the linked GMRS repeaters here in central Indiana. That website can also show you if there are GMRS repeaters near your location.

If you are not using it on GMRS, let us know how it works out on the Amateur Bands.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I assume this is for GMRS? When you get your callsign go to mygmrs.com and set up and account. There are weekly nets on the linked GMRS repeaters here in central Indiana. That website can also show you if there are GMRS repeaters near your location.

If you are not using it on GMRS, let us know how it works out on the Amateur Bands.
    Also checkout mwgmrs.com too. Most of the linked repeater in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota are part of this network.

Also if you want to listen live. https://mwgmrs.com/system-status/

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Got my Btech UV50x2 and Nagoya UT72 in the mail today! Gonna read the manual before I set it up just to cover my butt.
    Technically speaking I believe that radio is legal for gmrs due to the removable antenna.

If for ham you can go to inhamoperators.com
    To get a chirp file to upload the indianapolis and surrounding area repeaters to your radio.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

Thanks I’ll check it out! Btech makes a GMRS 50 and the UV50. The UV50 is for amateur bands but it’s operable on GMRS although not “legally”.

I just got my GMRS license and call sign this week

Also checkout mwgmrs.com too. Most of the linked repeater in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota are part of this network

Thanks I’ll have to check it out. I haven’t checked much into the GMRS repeaters in my area. I think there’s one about 17 miles out

Technically speaking I believe that radio is legal for gmrs due to the removable antenna.

If for ham you can go to inhamoperators.com
    To get a chirp file to upload the indianapolis and surrounding area repeaters to your radio.
    I’m not sure if it’s legal for GMRS per the type. I know Btech makes a GMRS 50w and the UV50 which is meant for amateur.

I got the UV50 but I believe it’s able to operate on the GMRS frequency’s.

I’m currently shopping for power supplies. I was unaware I was going to need one to setup this mobile radio as a “base station” at home. Does anyone have any recommendations. It seems I’ll need a 13.8V 30A power supply

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I run this and it is SOLID.

And they do free shipping, Generally a day or two away via UPS. LOVE these guys.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

And they do free shipping, Generally a day or two away via UPS. LOVE these guys.
    Another vote for this one. Outstanding, reliable power supply.

:yesway::)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I’m currently shopping for power supplies. I was unaware I was going to need one to setup this mobile radio as a “base station” at home. Does anyone have any recommendations. It seems I’ll need a 13.8V 30A power supply
    I use these...

Amazon product ASIN B00D7CWSCG

I have three now, two are about 5 years old, they have been low noise and seem to hold up well. You have to supply a power cord.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

I use these...

Amazon product ASIN B00D7CWSCG

I have three now, two are about 5 years old, they have been low noise and seem to hold up well. You have to supply a power cord.

Ive actually looked at both these units and was stuck trying to decide. Is there any real difference other then the gauge on the front?

Is the MFJ 80 dollars better? I will get if it is because I’d rather pay for a good one. But the 20 dollar Amazon one is tempting also because it’s just converting power lol

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Ive actually looked at both these units and was stuck trying to decide. Is there any real difference other then the gauge on the front?

Is the MFJ 80 dollars better? I will get if it is because I’d rather pay for a good one. But the 20 dollar Amazon one is tempting also because it’s just converting power lol
    Heads up on the Amazon one...if you go that route...fire it up and verify the voltage is acceptable...one of mine came in at 15vdc...there is an adjustment you set to fix the output voltage at 13.8 or something close. I have been happy with mine, and I have one using a digital voltage readout I got off ebay.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Also checkout mwgmrs.com too. Most of the linked repeater in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota are part of this network.

Thanks for the Midwest GMRS link...I don't have a GMRS license yet but considering it...my sons and grandsons and I should all be able to hit the Indy 600 linked system....that could come in handy. So thinking about it. One is licensed for ARS...not sure I can get the other one to do that. :-)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I trust the MFJ with my equipment. Remember when a PSU fries, it could take your attached gear with it. So choose wisely. Its kinda like a rifle or a parachute; do you REALLY want to trust the lowest bidder? LOL

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks for the Midwest GMRS link...I don't have a GMRS license yet but considering it...my sons and grandsons and I should all be able to hit the Indy 600 linked system....that could come in handy. So thinking about it. One is licensed for ARS...not sure I can get the other one to do that. :-)
    That's the great thing about GMRS, your son and grandson can use your license. Some people use unit numbers I just use first names after the callsign. WABC123 unit 1 or WABC123 John.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    That's the great thing about GMRS, your son and grandson can use your license. Some people use unit numbers I just use first names after the callsign. WABC123 unit 1 or WABC123 John.

But it's so much cooler saying WWBR549 Unit 2...hehehe...I've been monitoring the 462.6 for a few days...getting to know the lingo and procedures...not much different than amateur VHF/UHF ....except it seems like the system gets a LOT more use than the local repeaters. I wish we had a linked repeater system for ARS that I could reach.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    But it's so much cooler saying WWBR549 Unit 2...hehehe...I've been monitoring the 462.6 for a few days...getting to know the lingo and procedures...not much different than amateur VHF/UHF ....except it seems like the system gets a LOT more use than the local repeaters. I wish we had a linked repeater system for ARS that I could reach.
    I am one of the repeater owners on the Midwest system. We try to shy away from the CB and Ham lingo so please no 73's or Rubber Duck handles We like to keep it with casual conversation and first name. The Indy600 was just put online a month ago. It's getting new user everyday on it. We tell users to just jump in on a conversation that you have something to add. We have found out that when people ask for a break or throw out their callsign in the middle of two or three people talking back and forth it just kills the conversation.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I am one of the repeater owners on the Midwest system. We try to shy away from the CB and Ham lingo so please no 73's or Rubber Duck handles We like to keep it with casual conversation and first name. The Indy600 was just put online a month ago. It's getting new user everyday on it. We tell users to just jump in on a conversation that you have something to add. We have found out that when people ask for a break or throw out their callsign in the middle of two or three people talking back and forth it just kills the conversation.
    I had no idea that there was a new GMRS repeater in Indy. Thanks!

Top Bottom