• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So practically, a mobile unit to a mobile unit, with a repeater, Sheridan to Anderson would be impossible?

What ranges are possible with a repeater?
    So the fun thing about repeaters are the restrictions of the radios talking to it.

(I'm about to make up number as an examples)

Let's say your handheld radio with a magmount on your car can reach 10miles.

Your buddy's radio can reach 5 miles.

The repeater can reach 50 miles.

You and your buddy are on opposite sides of the repeater, both of you are 10 miles out.

You can talk into the repeater clear as a bell and hear everything.

Your buddy can hear the repeater, but can't talk into it.

So when you ask about the range of the repeater it's dependant on what's talking to it.

Now if you and your buddy can both reach 10 miles but your are 20 miles apart with a repeater in between. Then if you talk through the repeater your effective range is now 20miles.

Does that all make sense?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    With 5 watts I can reach the 2m repeater on the north side of Indy when mobile from about 15 miles away. Thats the extreme. I was trying to participate on a weather net while driving home toward the repeater. at 18 miles I could barely read them, but wasnt readable when I would TX. Got closer to home around 15 miles away and they could hear me again. But I dont know of any repeaters up there.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    With 5 watts I can reach the 2m repeater on the north side of Indy when mobile from about 15 miles away. Thats the extreme. I was trying to participate on a weather net while driving home toward the repeater. at 18 miles I could barely read them, but wasnt readable when I would TX. Got closer to home around 15 miles away and they could hear me again. But I dont know of any repeaters up there.
    There's a repeater in Kokomo.

Also I haven't checked into that ares net in a long time I should get back on it.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Internet research shows a half a dozen repeaters in Hamilton county.

Also my buddy is west side of Anderson, not trying to get to Muncie side.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Internet research shows a half a dozen repeaters in Hamilton county.

Also my buddy is west side of Anderson, not trying to get to Muncie side.
    I have participated in one Sunday night net, (eta, from sheridan) where I could hear the noblesville repeater, but I don’t think they could hear me, or it was in and out, if that’s possible. IIRC if I stood outside I could hit the repeater but you only get one chance with the net, as a rookie who really doesn’t know the protocol.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Question for the HAM club: I have a 50’ tower that I put up so I could get above the trees to get internet from our 125’ grain leg 2 miles away. I have my tech license at this point. What kind of antenna should I put up to maximize transmission? I don’t even know what a good goal is. At this point I don’t have an interest in contests or going around the world, just because so many irons in the fire, but anything is possible in the future. I would like to be a resource in the community if things went south, I guess would be the best way to describe my goals at this point. Don’t even know if something like that is needed.
    I also only have a couple of handhelds at this point, but something more serious could be possible.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Question for the HAM club: I have a 50’ tower that I put up so I could get above the trees to get internet from our 125’ grain leg 2 miles away. I have my tech license at this point. What kind of antenna should I put up to maximize transmission? I don’t even know what a good goal is. At this point I don’t have an interest in contests or going around the world, just because so many irons in the fire, but anything is possible in the future. I would like to be a resource in the community if things went south, I guess would be the best way to describe my goals at this point. Don’t even know if something like that is needed.
    I also only have a couple of handhelds at this point, but something more serious could be possible.
    Put a full wave 2m antenna at the top and with like 65-80 watts of power you will have a far reach.

Or set up same antenna with a repeater and be an asset to the community.

Lots of possibilities there.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Put a full wave 2m antenna at the top and with like 65-80 watts of power you will have a far reach.

Or set up same antenna with a repeater and be an asset to the community.

Lots of possibilities there.
    Are repeaters something regulated by the govt, or self regulated by the HAM community or what?
    Is “just some guy” having a repeater very common?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have participated in one Sunday night net, (eta, from sheridan) where I could hear the noblesville repeater, but I don’t think they could hear me, or it was in and out, if that’s possible. IIRC if I stood outside I could hit the repeater but you only get one chance with the net, as a rookie who really doesn’t know the protocol.
    Sheridan is only about 12-13 miles from Noblesville, so you shouldn't have too much trouble hitting the 145.170 (VHF) repeater in Noblesville. Although with a handheld, I always have better luck on UHF than VHF for distance. The Noblesville 145.170 is linked with the 443.550 (UHF), so try that next time if you have a dual band radio.

Distance isn't the only factor, though. Your position relative to the repeater (line of sight) is important. For instance, I did a little test the other day on a southeastern Indiana drive to a few places. I was at 2 points that were almost exact equal distance from the repeater that I was trying to hit.

The repeater was 34.5 miles from both points, and is 350 ft above ground level at an elevation of 908 ft above sea level for the tower. So the repeater is 1258 ft above sea level.

Point A was at 859 ft above sea level. I could not hit the repeater with my 50 watt mobile unit and 1/2 wave mag mount antenna on my truck, on either VHF or UHF. The terrain was hilly between my location at Point A and the repeater, so no clear shot for the signal.

Point B was at 960 ft above sea level. Not only could I easily hit the repeater with my mobile and 1/2 wave mag mount on either VHF or UHF, but I hit the repeater and made a solid contact with my $25 Baofeng 5w portable on UHF, standing outside of my truck in a parking lot. I mean, like "talking on the cell phone" clear. I've done it more than once at that location, but it is always still amazing to me to get 34.5 miles out of a 5w handheld to a repeater. Maybe a fluke "hot spot," but it always works from there.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Last night I was heading down to the Indy area to visit some friends. I was able to hold a conversation on the Indy600 GMRS Repeater and the Frankfort Gmrs repeater at 31 & 38 as I was coming into Nobileville. I run a UHF 40watt Motorola CDM1250 with a 1/4 wave NMO roof mount antenna.

Hope that helps.

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    I'll either be going this month or next to the Marion test location. I'm in the T5 set of questions in my study guide currently.
    What study guide are you using? I've tried a couple different App based study guides, they didn't really seem to teach anything, just give you a bunch of Q&A to memorize

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    What study guide are you using? I've tried a couple different App based study guides, they didn't really seem to teach anything, just give you a bunch of Q&A to memorize

HRE Tech. It’s not much of a study guide either. It has all the correct answers by section and then section quizzes.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

That’s kinda the whole deal. IMO you’re either good at taking multiple choice tests and can walk in and pass it, (understanding how math works helps too) or you memorize the stuff.
    Which leaves a gap in the practical operation of the radio, which is all we really want to do.
    It doesn’t help when you are wanting to learn about radio operations, but are forced to study for a test instead, that many people talk quickly to you in acronyms.
    I’m sure I’m just slow, though. You’ll be fine.
    Slow, and maybe a little bitter.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That’s kinda the whole deal. IMO you’re either good at taking multiple choice tests and can walk in and pass it, (understanding how math works helps too) or you memorize the stuff.
    Which leaves a gap in the practical operation of the radio, which is all we really want to do.
    It doesn’t help when you are wanting to learn about radio operations, but are forced to study for a test instead, that many people talk quickly to you in acronyms.
    I’m sure I’m just slow, though. You’ll be fine.
    Slow, and maybe a little bitter.
    Check this out, for more practical information on getting started in ham radio.

Top Bottom