• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Well, instead of starting a new thread... I figured I'd revive this one from the dead.

Studying for my general class now, got my tech ticket back in April.

Monitoring 52.525 on 6M right (FM) because I don't like talking to people. I'll respond if I can hear ya, though. (Doubt it, just happened to dig out an old 2M magmount and swapped the antenna for a 6M 1/4wave hamstick... I need to mount it higher)

I'll bet it's rather quiet there . . . at least it used to be very quiet until Sporadic E kicks in, sometimes strong F2 and the occasional meteor scatter. Weak tropo ducting can also occur, but it's more likely (stronger signal) on 2m, 220 and 440. Shouldn't have to worry about getting into the neighbor's TV set any more on 6m.

GL on the General!

John

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Technician Class in Danville (Hendricks County Indiana) at the senior center on Saturday October 28th 8 am to 5 pm.
    Second part of class November 4th 8 am to 1 pm then testing starting at 1 pm.
    1201 Sycamore Ln, Danville, IN 46122

Contact Wayne AC9HP if interested in attending.
    ac9hp@arrl.net

Last edited:

ggwolverines

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    New Albany
    I have been interested in this for a little while. I just started studying for the tech and general. I really need to find a test time so I have a deadline to work towards. I currently have no equipment, but am excited to start the process.

I've started reading through kb6nu.com's tech manual.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have been interested in this for a little while. I just started studying for the tech and general. I really need to find a test time so I have a deadline to work towards. I currently have no equipment, but am excited to start the process.

I've started reading through kb6nu.com's tech manual.

There is no shame in starting with a baofeng and working your way up. Just ditch the factory duck antenna and spend the $15 for a quality one. This is a good starting point. (worked for me anyway)

Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FMIYEKW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016SIJX28/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XQAY7WI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: I added an extension cable and use one of the magnet mounts in the attic. Gave me the extra push to get a clear signal downstairs in my office. Upgrading to a Diamond eventually if/when I upgrade and do more than just connecting to repeaters.

Last edited:

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    My wife and I are seriously considering relocating to Greensburg from the Southern Burbs of Chicago. Any HAMS live around there? Pretty new myself - Tech Ticket April of 2016. I have the Baofeng UV-5R - started with this antenna, seems to work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y2SPE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then got this antenna - works Great!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DBJ-2-VHF-...d=122345259584&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Anyway, let me know if anything is going on around Greensburg, or just say, "Hi".

K9RND 73

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Greensburg has some hams in the area, plus meth labs, Honda, and a tree growing out of the courthouse...

146.9550 Negative Offset PL 146.2 Hz

CyberGuyPR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    NWI
    Good luck. I just started studying for General after like 15 years without touching a radio. Saw a little go-kit on youtube the other day that reignited the love affair.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    8lbszl5yruvz.jpg

I passed! Now I've started studying for my Extra exam.

I don't have an HF rig yet... My base station rig as of right now only does 70CM/2M/6M/10M... Going to save up for a decent all-band HF rig of some sort.

I can RX HF signals using my SDR dongle, HF upconverter, and long wire antenna. That's been a lot of fun... But I want to play on some of the digital modes instead of just receive and decode them with no way to transmit.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I passed! Now I've started studying for my Extra exam.

I don't have an HF rig yet... My base station rig as of right now only does 70CM/2M/6M/10M... Going to save up for a decent all-band HF rig of some sort.

I can RX HF signals using my SDR dongle, HF upconverter, and long wire antenna. That's been a lot of fun... But I want to play on some of the digital modes instead of just receive and decode them with no way to transmit.

Nice job and congratulations!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Congrats Leb! Enjoy the new privileges. And best of luck on the extra. It's really worth it in the end.

Top Bottom