• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I'm a General N9QKN. I'm in RACES. Were trying to get a lot of recruitment in case of an emergency. I know the Johnson County Emergency Management next to the Sheriff's office gives test at least once a month.

rtrouten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would like to do this myself. I have no equipment yet, but I have been looking!!! a group like this one would help the rookie like me out. Keep me posted

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Thanks Lars for the invitation. I think you are located near Indy and unfortunately I just can't travel. I'm generally only able to operate in a 15-20 mile radius from home for a couple of reasons. Also being VERY limited in funds and having some unique consideration on my location a HAM involvement is problematic. All that is compounded by being 70 yrs. old with the encumbrances of age.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Thanks Lars for the invitation. I think you are located near Indy and unfortunately I just can't travel. I'm generally only able to operate in a 15-20 mile radius from home for a couple of reasons. Also being VERY limited in funds and having some unique consideration on my location a HAM involvement is problematic. All that is compounded by being 70 yrs. old with the encumbrances of age.

In that case, located at the top of this thread I think, is a link to the video from my version 1.0 talk about radio communications. I admit the presentation wasn't perfect, but it's a starting point.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    On a related note, my license expires this year, what's the procedure for renewing? Last time I had to send in a form, but this time around is it web based?
    When I changed my address, it seems to me I did it on line thru the FCC website, but you have to have an account/password set-up. I think that they had mailed me this info at some time. So, I'm thinking that I saw some spot on the very hard to navigate FCC website that let you renew? Guess that really doesn't answer your question...but maybe gets you a little closer.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ok, now that is scary. I did an FRN lookup based on my callsign. Apparently I have one. So I tried logging on based on what my password might have been at the time (ten years ago) and got it right in one try. I change my passwords from time to time, but there's a logical progression to it, even though it appears to be random letters/numbers.

Scary.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Well, instead of starting a new thread... I figured I'd revive this one from the dead.

Studying for my general class now, got my tech ticket back in April.

Monitoring 52.525 on 6M right (FM) because I don't like talking to people. I'll respond if I can hear ya, though. (Doubt it, just happened to dig out an old 2M magmount and swapped the antenna for a 6M 1/4wave hamstick... I need to mount it higher)

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    I'm planning on going to take my tech and possibly my general test next month. Have mainly been thinking of it as a shtf need, but who knows.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Extra Class here, I have been a Ham 20+ years. It's a awesome hobby.

Our local club is giving a get your license(Tech) in one day class soon. I think it will be next month. I can get the date and time if any one is interested. We also will test for upgrades after the class.

Larry W9AMR

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Yeah, HamStudy is a god-send. It's what I used for my Tech ticket and what I'm using now to study for my General.

I just bought a HF upconverter for my RTL-SDR dongle and a 1:9 balun for some longwire fun. Hoping to use that setup to monitor some HF bands while I study... Just forgot to order a couple needed SMA adapaters... Test is in two weeks, should be well prepared by then.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm a General N9QKN. I'm in RACES. Were trying to get a lot of recruitment in case of an emergency. I know the Johnson County Emergency Management next to the Sheriff's office gives test at least once a month.

They stopped doing that there over a year ago. The Midstate Amateur Radio Club meets in the REMC building off US 31 and International Drive on the third Saturday morning of the month. Meeting is at 8AM...testing is at 9:30AM. The testing there is FREE now.

Full info on the exams, location, and dates can be found here: MidState Amateur Radio Club - Johnson County Indiana

good luck and dit dit

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Well, instead of starting a new thread... I figured I'd revive this one from the dead.

Studying for my general class now, got my tech ticket back in April.

Monitoring 52.525 on 6M right (FM) because I don't like talking to people. I'll respond if I can hear ya, though. (Doubt it, just happened to dig out an old 2M magmount and swapped the antenna for a 6M 1/4wave hamstick... I need to mount it higher)
    Try some of the digital modes like JT65 and FT8. Still make contacts worldwide without the gabfest.

Top Bottom