• Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    https://ihknives.com/
    https://ihknives.com/products/damascus-knife-making-kit

I couple years ago I received a Damascus Skinner kit as a gift. I actually started on it when i got it, but got nervous that I was going to screw it up and the project got shelved. Fast-forward to the boredom of 2020 and I finally had to throw this thing together. Not much to say, it's an easy project, just make it pretty! The scallops on the front of the scales are a copy of how he makes the knives, except he makes them taper to a thin edge. I left a thicker edge for strength. In my mind, one of the four corners would have a wood-grain running across it and make it way too weak.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I sanded the handle to about 2000 grit and treated with boiled linseed oil. Some would say it's too smooth, but I figured it's really easy to make it Less smooth if I so desire. Since this is my first time assembling a knife, I'm certainly accepting critiques!

Anywho, here's some pics!

First pic after gluing the scales on.
    50642245356_077d371d6a_k.jpg

Tape removed to get a feel for the handle, debating adding more curves to the handles. Only wetted with water to see the color and raise the grain for more sanding.
    50642063288_eb05cd0bed_k.jpg

The finished product, with only the first coat of oil.
    50648734491_d8efefdf49_k.jpg

Finally made it's first trip to the woods! Hopefully I'll do more hiking this winter.
    50741998102_7610045911_k.jpg

50741895946_572b1e6ea6_k.jpg

Last edited:

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    Good job - turned out great. I think I might have to pick up 1 of those kits too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcod151

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    LA PORTE
    Very cool kits! I just stumbled across them the other day and was very interested in the neck knife they offer. Any feedback on how the blade held up?

Top Bottom