• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm willing to talk in more detail by PM, but to make a long story short, I have a few trusted business colleagues that are in town for a few weeks. While in the US they would like to enjoy a few of the freedoms we have here that they do not have in their home country.

One individual inquired about being able to legally go and shoot a few guns at a shooting range. Rather than have him call or just go to each range to see who might be willing to help out, I thought I'd reach out to INGO to see if any are willing for me to recommend them. I know we have several great ranges and members in the area.

Most likely these individuals would have little to no experience, so would probably need a very thorough safety brief and perhaps some coaching while on the firing line.

I want to ensure the experience is very positive to help buck the trend of the blood thirsty wild west Americans that just go from town to town shooting everyone in sight. I've opted against taking them out to private property for their first time since that may not be the best overall experience for them.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may...dmitted-united-states-under-nonimmigrant-visa

[FONT=&amp]An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

The entire internet is awash with discussions on what "possess" actually means. Most do not think it includes shooting while the actual owner is standing right there.

Never really understood why having a hunting license that you can get at the bait & tackle store is a workaround, but it is. I wonder if this is not how those gun stores in Las Vegas that cater to tourists get around this law? Maybe they sell them a hunting license at the same time?

I'd love to have a definitive answer on this but that's impossible. You can ask three different people in the ATF and you'll get three different answers.[/FONT]

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    When I was at Point Blank, we would not rent to a nonimmigrant alien. However, if they were there with a legal person, they could shoot that person's guns (or he/she could rent them).

Do they speak and understand English? It would make me more than a little nervous if I couldn't be sure they understood range commands and the safety briefing.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the replies. I'll do some more digging on the Visa's to see how it shapes up. Following the law is priority #1 here. English skills are good (I communicate regularly with them via teleconf and periodic face to face meetings), so certainly able to follow safe range commands.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I would suggest PMing Coach. He might be able to assist in setting up some private range time and group instruction over at Parabellum in Avon.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    I would be more than happy to set you up with access to our range in new haven ky if you want to make the trek. Our range is membership and guest only but as the club president I can bend a few rules for good reason. Bring down some of your toys and let them shoot yours. We have a very nice little out door range that is unsupervised so you will need to be their coach and mentor. Weekdays the range is seldom used so you would more than likely have the place to yourself. If you want to shoot on a weekend I could stick around and possibly bring a few toys for them to try out.

http://lincolntrailfishgame.wixsite.com/lincoln-trail

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    According to the above laws posted, a range should be considered "sporting purposes"? Go to Vegas during SHOT, many, many, foreign press, and individuals shooting at the ranges!

alopez96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Fishers
    If they are legally allowed to shoot. It would be a good idea to first educate them about safety and proper handling of firearms.

alopez96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Fishers
    Yep, exactly why I've recommended an indoor range with instruction. Takes a lot of variables out of the equation and allows the focus to be on safety first.

In my experience, I have to local indoor range that will show a video about safety but I found that inadequate for somebody that has not ever handled a firearm. Also most public indoor ranges are too loud to listen to instructions. Get with Coach as somebody else recommended as he can do a class and assess each shooter.

Top Bottom