• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the Indianapolis area that handles threading barrels? I've got a couple of guns that I would like to thread for a suppressor. Specifically a slab-side Ruger MkIII 22/45 and an old, bolt-action .22 rifle.

Thanks for your input.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    contact corey of SSNFA he is a Class III dealer and an :ingo: advertiser he can help you out if your here in Indy. His screenname is curraheeguns.:patriot:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    contact corey of SSNFA he is a Class III dealer and an :ingo: advertiser he can help you out if your here in Indy. His screenname is curraheeguns.:patriot:
    He's selling me the suppressor, so I probably should have asked him first!

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the Indianapolis area that handles threading barrels? I've got a couple of guns that I would like to thread for a suppressor. Specifically a slab-side Ruger MkIII 22/45 and an old, bolt-action .22 rifle.

Thanks for your input.

Yep, we can do slabside Rugers with a custom slabside thread protector that is timed to the barrel, move the sight, and cut it to any length you want for $110.00. To just have it threaded or cut and threaded it is $75.00.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    That's great, Corey. If I had known that, I would have brought my gun when we met this morning.

How long does it take to thread the barrel, move the sight back and fab a slabside thread protector? I know I've got some time to wait, but would like to get it done.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    That's great, Corey. If I had known that, I would have brought my gun when we met this morning.

How long does it take to thread the barrel, move the sight back and fab a slabside thread protector? I know I've got some time to wait, but would like to get it done.

Depends on what jobs the machinist we use has ahead of me when I drop it off. The quickest I have ever gotten one back is one day and the longest it has ever taken was about three weeks.

He does EXCELLENT work!!!

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Depends on what jobs the machinist we use has ahead of me when I drop it off. The quickest I have ever gotten one back is one day and the longest it has ever taken was about three weeks.

He does EXCELLENT work!!!
    Did he do your Beretta 21A too? I've got one of those that I would love to get a threaded barrel for, but was afraid of what I'd heard about High Desert Dog.

It might be easier if I look for .22s that I don't want to thread...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Corey's guy does excellent work. he's a true machinist and a gun guy, so he thinks differently than many straight machinsts. He's done several guns for me and has always done a great job.

Doug K

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Slow Hand,
    Thanks. I'm going to get my 22/45 to Corey this week and try that out.

8th SPS USAF,
    Glad yours turned out well. I had just heard quite a few horror stories about some of their conversions (not concentric threading, poorly attached barrel extension, etc). I have had no personal experiences with them. Either way, I'd rather go with a local guy if I can.

Last edited:

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I met with Corey earlier today and dropped off my 22/45. If the end result looks 1/2 as good as the pictures on Corey's website, I'll pretty very happy and extremely impressed.

Check out WWW.NFASHIRTS.COM - Corey has a picture of the Ruger bull barrel post-threading and a picture with the custom thread protector screwed on.

Slow Hand,
    Thanks. I'm going to get my 22/45 to Corey this week and try that out.

8th SPS USAF,
    Glad yours turned out well. I had just heard quite a few horror stories about some of their conversions (not concentric threading, poorly attached barrel extension, etc). I have had no personal experiences with them. Either way, I'd rather go with a local guy if I can.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Here's mine:

GunPics014-4.jpg

I had him chop to 3.5" and use the front of the barrel for the thread protector. A quick clean up of the lawyer warning and areblue and it looks great!

Doug K

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Slow Hand,
    Thanks for posting that. Looks pretty good! I'll post pictures of mine here when it is complete.

Top Bottom