Indiana Typical Buck - New state record, #2 in the world and World Record Crossbow kill ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    This will be 2 WR & State Record's in a Decade for Indiana if numbers hold up.

1 with a Shotgun Non-Typical...Tim Beck

1 with a Crossbow Typical …. Dustin Huff

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This will be 2 WR & State Record's in a Decade for Indiana if numbers hold up.

1 with a Shotgun Non-Typical...Tim Beck

1 with a Crossbow Typical …. Dustin Huff

I am reminded of a lyric from a song....

You call someplace paradise, you're kissing it good-bye.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Unbelievable! Good for him, I'm glad it was taken by a Hoosier. It's past time for our non-resident hunting fees to catch up to the other midwest states.
    Why the desire for higher OOS fees? I’ve always considered it kinda nice that they weren’t crazy high when I’ve had buddies come in from other states. Won’t higher fees drive up the cost of hunting leases?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Why the desire for higher OOS fees? I’ve always considered it kinda nice that they weren’t crazy high when I’ve had buddies come in from other states. Won’t higher fees drive up the cost of hunting leases?
    To level the playing field a bit so to speak. We have a lot of non resident hunters coming to IN because our fees are so low. We also have a lot of resident hunters who can't afford to hunt neighboring states due to their fees. I'd like to see a system where an IL resident pays the same to hunt here as an IN resident wold pay to hunt there.

For many years IN didn't have what the surrounding states could offer as far as big buck opportunities but that is no longer the case. I don't think it would have much of an effect on hunting leases honestly. Comparatively speaking the cost of a license/tag here is minuscule compared to leasing ground.

Some states treat their whitetail like a resource while other states treat them like a nuisance. I'd like to see IN manage the herd like a resource.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    That makes sense. Government fees/taxes always go up so aggressively that I was encouraged to see one area where they were still cheap, but I guess it does reveal that Indiana doesn’t really view deer as a resource. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be a hunting destination like the surrounding states!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I bird hunt in Decatur County and have seen some pretty big deer. Also seen some monsters in Benton and White county out on the flat windy prairie where there is little to no cover for a deer supposedly.

Would be damn hard to hunt deer there but i would bet there are some record book deer to be had because of it.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Friend's friend got this in Crawford, County WI this season. crawford co buck.jpg
    Gross scored 216+ but broken left main so deductions will drop below record. Otherwise might have challenged the Milo Hanson world record buck and the Decatur Buck!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Friend's friend got this in Crawford, County WI this season. View attachment 170270
    Gross scored 216+ but broken left main so deductions will drop below record. Otherwise might have challenged the Milo Hanson world record buck and the Decatur Buck!
    That's a great buck but the huge forked G-2 on the left would likely have prevented it from challenging the Hanson buck even without the broken beam. You never know how the scorers will count the common base on the G-2 and G-3 on the buck's right side either. IIRC, there was another huge Wisconsin buck that should have challenged the Hanson buck but it had several common base points that were determined to be nontypical.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    That's a great buck but the huge forked G-2 on the left would likely have prevented it from challenging the Hanson buck even without the broken beam. You never know how the scorers will count the common base on the G-2 and G-3 on the buck's right side either. IIRC, there was another huge Wisconsin buck that should have challenged the Hanson buck but it had several common base points that were determined to be nontypical.
    I remember that one too. Was 4 or 5 years ago I think. They had video of it in the field. Spectacular deer.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Interesting, it seems like the official scores on most world class deer seem to drop some or hold steady from the preliminary scores while this one increased a bit. It is a really clean rack with few if any judgement calls though and that mass probably reduces shrinkage.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The Hansen buck is ALL length. Huff's is mass carried throughout the entire length.

Top Bottom