Indiana State Police Investigating Fatal Crash Involving Farmland Volunteer Fire Department Tanker

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Indiana State Police Investigating Fatal Crash Involving Farmland Volunteer Fire Department Tanker​

Indiana State Police sent this bulletin at 05/25/2023 01:44 PM EDT
    Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.​
    State Police Header Image 3

INDIANA STATE POLICE
    PENDLETON DISTRICT
    9022 S. State Road 67
    Pendleton, IN 46064
    www.in.gov/isp
    FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt​

Sergeant Scott Keegan
    Public Information Officer
    765-778-2121
    Twitter: @ISPPendleton
    Facebook: ISP Pendleton
    DATE: May 25, 2023

Indiana State Police Investigating a Fatal Crash Involving Farmland Volunteer Fire Department Tanker​

(Randolph County) This morning at 7:00 a.m., Indiana State Police and the Randolph County Sheriff's Department responded to a single vehicle crash in the area of County Road 1000 W. south of County Road 500 N. near Farmland, that claimed the life of a Farmland Volunteer Firefighter and left another firefighter injured.

Preliminary investigation determined that the 2000 gallon fire tanker was responding to a call northbound on County Road 1000 W. when the driver, identified as Firefighter Kyle Osgood, 29, of Farmland, lost control of the tanker in a curve, left the roadway, and rolled. Both Osgood and his passenger, identified as Firefighter Zachary M. Lee, 19, of Farmland, were ejected from the tanker during the rollover. Osgood was pronounced dead at the scene by the Randolph County Coroner, Darin James. Lee was air lifted by Stat Flight to Lutheran Hospital in Fort Wayne due to his injuries. The families of both firefighters have been notified.

Assisting Master Trooper Tom Harbison in the investigation was Senior Trooper Seth Painter, Indiana State Police Crash Investigation Reconstruction Team, Randolph County Sheriff's Department, Lutheran Hospital Stat Flight, and Nye's Wrecker.
    This Investigation is still ongoing and there is no further information to release at this time.
    -30-​

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Driving a live load like a tanker is not something to do lightly.

Shifting center of gravity combined with even slightly too much speed (failure or inattention) will make for an extremely exciting ride.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I thought firefighters are supposed to be IN the truck nowadays.

You know, because of stuff like this.
    They were both in the cab and ejected in the rollover. The young man who was driving is only alive because his crushing injuries were limited to his lower body. As it is, he is in extremely critical condition. I hope his young age (inexperienced operator of the apparatus that has some tricky physics depending on load level)/truck dimensions?) wasn't a contributing factor here. Sad situation.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Thats so sad, and unnecessary.
    One would think that with seeing the after effects of others leaving the road and being ejected during an accident in their time as firemen, They would be more professional with there driving and wear the provided seatbelts. Its tough to get ejected when your strapped in.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    How sad.

When I was active I often drove a 3000 gallon Kenworth tanker for our VFD. Yes it is a lot of weight with not much margin for maneuverability. The tanks are supposed to have baffles in them to keep the load from shifting around, but it still sloshes around a little bit, especially if only partly full. So conservative driving is order of the day, the fire will still be there when you arrive, but you have to arrive alive. Happily the only incident was when a feral hog ran out in front of me. (Well, there was this mailbox behind me one day…)

And both were ejected? No seatbelts in use? Awful.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    How sad.

When I was active I often drove a 3000 gallon Kenworth tanker for our VFD. Yes it is a lot of weight with not much margin for maneuverability. The tanks are supposed to have baffles in them to keep the load from shifting around, but it still sloshes around a little bit, especially if only partly full. So conservative driving is order of the day, the fire will still be there when you arrive, but you have to arrive alive. Happily the only incident was when a feral hog ran out in front of me. (Well, there was this mailbox behind me one day…)

And both were ejected? No seatbelts in use? Awful.
    There are three counties near my family's farm in southern Md.
    Between those three counties almost every year a Volunteer Fire Man takes a water truck, hook and ladder or a Fire truck off road because of excessive speed on the way to a call.
    Seems not many are totaled on the way back to the fire house.

Top Bottom