Indiana shooting leaves 2 dead, others injured.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Ironic, the front page of the Goshen News yesterday had a big article about how safe Goshen still is in spite of the ongoing gang violence. Apparently the shooter(s) didn't read the article

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The Goshen College Mennonites are essentially commies. Most of the City Council has some connection with Goshen College.

Yep...that's what I learned after I lived in the area for a while.

I expected it would be a rather conservative midwestern community...then I learned the Goshen College crew was anything but conservative or liberty embracing.

That was several years ago...sounds like it has not improved.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I expected it would be a rather conservative midwestern community...then I learned the Goshen College crew was anything but conservative or liberty embracing.

They always made it pretty clear that they wanted to diversify the community (remember Diversity Days). So we went from a stolen bicycle being the crime of the week to crap like this.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

It’s unfortunate that these small communities have to have a dependency on these liberal schools to keep their economy moving, the university here in town wants to celebrate “diversity and inclusion” by putting their crap up all over campus. Fortunately we haven’t gotten to this point yet, and hopefully we’re far enough removed from the larger cities that we won’t to worry about it, but I still carry everyday.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    “Powers that be” say not gang related. We shall see.

I was born and raised in southern Elk. Co., lived and farmed there until moved 10 miles south to lake country…same for my wife who grew up Mennonite, her sister went to Goshen College, wife worked in Goshen 30 years. Growing up, we went to Goshen every Saturday night to shop. We ran around in Goshen as teenagers, cruising down town to Bowers Drive In and back. We owned commercial rental property there until 3 years ago. Now a son lives there. Plus doctors, dentist, church, friends are all we have as connections there. The traffic situation is terrible ( been fixing it for 50+ years and it’s worse ).

Always was a liberal faction centered around the college and the Amish, Mennonite populations in the area. But in the last 20 - 30 years it has exploded. A lot has to do with the jobs, manufacturing, etc. The city turned a blind eye to illegals as they poured in. The crime started, mainly DUI’S, no drivers license, no insurance, etc. Then gangs started coming in. It got bad 20 - 25 years go. Local police got it tapped down somewhat for a while. Now exploded gain. Police reports of shots fired several times a week. Lot of drive by’s. I have seen gang tags & graffiti out in the country 10-15 miles south of town. City population is now estimated at 25-33% Hispanic School system is over 50% Hispanic…spending millions of tax payers $$ every year on English As A Second Language, etc. Resteraunts in town are now overwhelmingly Mexican, only 1 or 2 sit down American style eateries left. Businesses, doctor offices, etc. all have to have several employees that speak Spanish.

Sorry I got carried away. This was my stomping ground. It used to be more Mayberry than Wild West. Now I would not be disappointed if I never went to Goshen again. It is an issue that is somewhat dear to me. It’s not that I am racist. Come but do it the legal way and assimilate. It is illegal immigration, overwhelming the system, and a city that turned a blind eye and encouraged it ( wink, wink ).

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Wow. I was up at the Goshen airport Friday and Saturday mornings for work. Guess we got out of there just in time! I haven’t ventured away from the airport (on the ground, anyway haha), maybe I’ll keep it that way for now…

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    The latest sounds like maybe family situation. 2 males deceased, 3 females critically injured. Located few houses off street I use to get to 6 or 7 places regularly. Middle class. Couple blocks from a school.

Last edited:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Some could argue it is an invasion.
    Definitely what it seemed like. Elkhart County has always needed workers. Always figured part of looking the other way by some “people” was to ease this. At first mostly cash jobs. Then stolen SS#s, IDs, etc. Problem was large. Always been legal immigrants and legal seasonal workers as long as I can remember in Goshen & south in Kos. Co. However the massive influx over a few decades of late had a significant % of illegals and problems. Not too many Amish gangs bangin’ in the area according to my LEO sources.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The rumor is one of the girls had called PoPo out the evening before and showed them some marks on her from her boyfriend smacking her around. Supposedly police told her to call them next time it happened. Then the shooting occurred the next day. So I assume the boyfriend is a person of interest. But that is just the FB rumor.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    The rumor is one of the girls had called PoPo out the evening before and showed them some marks on her from her boyfriend smacking her around. Supposedly police told her to call them next time it happened. Then the shooting occurred the next day. So I assume the boyfriend is a person of interest. But that is just the FB rumor.
    Had not heard that but I don’t do Facebook. Thing that confuses me is neighbor said 4 loud bangs. 4 ? 2 dead plus 3 severely injured = ? 2 hit by same bullet ? Or 1 severely injured but not shot ? Have to wait until official report released. Also sounds like there were individuals not shot/injured.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The latest sounds like maybe family situation. 2 males deceased, 3 females critically injured. Located few houses off street I use to get to 6 or 7 places regularly. Middle class. Couple blocks from a school.
    Yep. Not really a neighborhood where "gang violence" is a common problem.

Though such problems can be easily imported into about any neighborhood these days.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    The step dad in the house shooting is a friend of mine. Sad situation, the shooter was one of his step daughters boyfriend. Just a few weeks ago I had asked him to go to the range, he told me he wasn't into guns, that it wasn't his thing. I wonder if he's changing his mind?
    People who come over to my house ask me why I carry in my residence, just for scenarios like this.

Top Bottom