• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flintstone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2022
    Ceda Lake
    When private sales of firearms in Indiana I am aware there are some different rules in regard to age, handgun or rifle and qualifications. In the past I have sold several handguns and a few rifles one at a time to Indiana residents only that I know and meet all the qualifications. I alway make out a bill-of-sale and require a drivers license and signature and appropriate initials. My BOS always includes the serial numbers and other info. Signatures in 'blue' ink.

Recently I have decided to sell one rifle and 4 or 5 handguns. Some of my friends are interested in one or two and my question is there a rule regarding how many firearms one can sell at a private transaction or is there a time span involved ?? I have been researching and can only find partial information to some extent. Thanks in advance for helping out.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    When private sales of firearms in Indiana I am aware there are some different rules in regard to age, handgun or rifle and qualifications. In the past I have sold several handguns and a few rifles one at a time to Indiana residents only that I know and meet all the qualifications. I alway make out a bill-of-sale and require a drivers license and signature and appropriate initials. My BOS always includes the serial numbers and other info. Signatures in 'blue' ink.

Recently I have decided to sell one rifle and 4 or 5 handguns. Some of my friends are interested in one or two and my question is there a rule regarding how many firearms one can sell at a private transaction or is there a time span involved ?? I have been researching and can only find partial information to some extent. Thanks in advance for helping out.
    This came up recently in another thread; basically, no there is no hard number limit. The law only has to do with whether or not you intend to make profit. You can buy and re-sell one gun, and if you did so for the purpose of making profit, it's illegal (unless, of course you have the proper license to do so.) You could buy and re-sell a thousand guns, and if you did so without intending to make a profit, it's fine. (I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, etc.)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Indiana law is mum on the topic.

ATF thinks you magically become an unlicensed dealer when you sell "too many" guns or sell guns "as a business for profit". What does that mean? Nobody knows.

I would not expect any issues selling off half a dozen firearms from personal inventory. These private sales are not reported in any way. Your bill of sale goes into a drawer at home and there it stays.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you buy a firearm with intentions to sell it to someone they would not like that. If you owned these firearms for awhile I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you do your part and sell only to state residents, and proper persons, or ship to an FFL for out of state.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Keep in mind, if it "looks" like a business the government will treat it as a business. For tax law most of the time you want that.
    As far as the ATF goes, you don't want that.
    If I were you I would stop doing the "bill of sale and ID" thing, especially if you're wondering if you're doing it as a business.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    UnderstatedPleasantHartebeest-max-1mb.gif

Top Bottom