"Can I carry to ____ w/o a LTCH"
    "Can I carry to ____ with a LTCH"
    "Is it legal to carry with a loaded chamber"
    "How many guns can I buy/carry/transport at one time"
    "I am over 18 but under 21, can I carry"
    "Can I carry a rifle"
    "Can I carry a loaded rifle"
    "Can I OC"

I know that could quickly turn into an online version of Indiana Handgun Law, and of course much of it is open to debate, which is the great part of this site. With the influx of new members we see these type of questions popping up again. Of course they are necessary, and its good that people find out, but it seems like a sticky could address these things once and for all. Plus, I think that many folks may inadvertently break the law because they are unwilling to ask a "dumb" question, or worse yet, rely on info they got from their hunting buddy's ex wife's cousin who dated this guy who is a cop in Missouri.

So yea, its a great idea. I just haven't brought it up because I am not yet willing to volunteer to do it.

This was suggested in the Inside-Joke thread stickied in the Break Room forum. It's something I've thought about, too, but for the same reason stated above, haven't done.

That said:

1) Do we have someone willing to write a FAQ like the one mentioned above?
    2) Should we just have a thread where members can submit questions and answers?
    3) Should we the moderators create a sticky but closed thread (so only mods can add new posts) that has questions and definitive/widely-accepted answers in it for new members?
    4) Other suggestions?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It should be in FAQ form with all questions asked and answered in the same thread. The thread maintainer is responsible for keeping it updated.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well first, many of these things have already been beaten to death, so simply linking the existing thread in the sticky would prevent whoever from "reinventing the wheel."

Also, I don't really care, because I wont be the Mod maintaining a FAQ thread, but leaving it open to new questions seems like a lot of work. The idea of one central thread where questions are answered seems great, but you can be guaranteed that a question will be repeated in the same thread where it was already answered. A simple, well organized thread that lists the question and either an answer, or link to discussion of the answer, seems like it would be just as useful and a lot less work. It might need to be updated along the way, but keeping it generally closed would prevent it from becoming a giant mess.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Just another thought-

If you close the FAQ sticky, include a notice like this:

"If you dont see the question or answer you are looking for, please double check that it has not already been discussed in this thread. If you question is indeed a new one, please PM Mod____ to have your question added to this list"

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Just another thought-

If you close the FAQ sticky, include a notice like this:

"If you dont see the question or answer you are looking for, please double check that it has not already been discussed in this thread. If you question is indeed a new one, please PM Mod____ to have your question added to this list"
    Good idea.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is this the appropriate place to add this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCPJH6swoY]YouTube - how to behave on an internet forum[/ame]

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Is there any way to just post Step 6? :):
    step 6: respect the admins
    it's their website and they can do whatever the hell they like with it.
    you're a guest and hassling them about how they run things is akin to
    going over to your auntie's house and curling one out in the teapot.

:mods:

in transcribing that... did anyone else notice that step 8 comes after 6 but before 7?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Is there anyway to get a module that would allow for voting for a best answer?
    I was thinking along the lines of Yahoo Answers. When a question gets asked the best answer would be displayed below the question. Just a thought.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Could we include Wal-Marts corporate policy to follow state laws regarding carry?

Nevermind... my brother's dentist's cousin heard from a LEO's barber that it doesn't apply in Texas.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Well first, many of these things have already been beaten to death, so simply linking the existing thread in the sticky would prevent whoever from "reinventing the wheel."

Also, I don't really care, because I wont be the Mod maintaining a FAQ thread, but leaving it open to new questions seems like a lot of work. The idea of one central thread where questions are answered seems great, but you can be guaranteed that a question will be repeated in the same thread where it was already answered. A simple, well organized thread that lists the question and either an answer, or link to discussion of the answer, seems like it would be just as useful and a lot less work. It might need to be updated along the way, but keeping it generally closed would prevent it from becoming a giant mess.
    I wrote a FAQ like this before.
    Before You Post... Read ***THE FAQ!*** - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
    I made it clean and organized, it was stickied, but not everyone reads it. I do update it when there is new stuff to add, which isn't often, it's just getting it off the ground that takes the most time. So, I could work on one for here, but I would need topics to put in and links to the better discussions if anyone has them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom