Indiana Constitutional Carry-Summer Study thread (2017)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Seen this too on Jim's FB page, only problem i see is that PD's will just say they were already in the red so this just helps/ does not replace the money from fees for LTCH.

Fine. Then let's replace that revenue with a tax on, oh, I don't know... how about... voting?

Oh, that would be an unconstitutional poll tax, you say? So is charging a fee over and above the processing costs of the LTCH, and then using that difference as revenue.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Back up! On the General Assembly site it shows being signed by all the powers that be and the members of the summer study committee for CC.

Members (advisors and conferees, NRA grade in parenthesis(A) if I could find them: Senate Conferees: Tomes, Messmer; Senate Advisors: Freeman (A), Lanane, Crider (A); House Advisors: Smaltz (A+), Judy (A), Lucas (A+), Lawson, L (F); House Conferees: Eberhart (A+), Goodin (A+).

I don't know much about summer studies except for what I've read on INGO, but it looks like the conferees are the ones to be in focus. Goodin has a (D) after his name and an NRA A+, there are a few. More D=F but it's good to see pro-2A on both sides of the aisle.

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2017/bills/house/1071

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hi Kelly,

Sorry, I believe you're mistaken. Those were the members of the Conference Committee that took the Senate version of 1071 and passed the domestic violence provision as law and sent Constitutional Carry on to summer study, (aka Interim) committee.

There are no data on interim committees this year, at this writing.

Blessings,
    Bill

Back up! On the General Assembly site it shows being signed by all the powers that be and the members of the summer study committee for CC.

Members (advisors and conferees, NRA grade in parenthesis(A) if I could find them: Senate Conferees: Tomes, Messmer; Senate Advisors: Freeman (A), Lanane, Crider (A); House Advisors: Smaltz (A+), Judy (A), Lucas (A+), Lawson, L (F); House Conferees: Eberhart (A+), Goodin (A+).

I don't know much about summer studies except for what I've read on INGO, but it looks like the conferees are the ones to be in focus. Goodin has a (D) after his name and an NRA A+, there are a few. More D=F but it's good to see pro-2A on both sides of the aisle.

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2017/bills/house/1071

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hi Kelly,

Sorry, I believe you're mistaken. Those were the members of the Conference Committee that took the Senate version of 1071 and passed the domestic violence provision as law and sent Constitutional Carry on to summer study, (aka Interim) committee.

There are no data on interim committees this year, at this writing.

Blessings,
    Bill
    They can't hide from us, we'll find them! Politics is so confusing.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well before Bill pointed out my error in identifying the summer study committee members I hit the send button on a few e-mails. Low and behold today I got a call from Senator Jim Tomes. We talked for about 10 minutes and he is definitely a good friend to Indiana gun owners. Readers Digest version: This shouldn't be so hard in Indiana. The media can be counted on to be against us (BLOOD RUNNING IN THE STREETS!) Don't assume all gun owners are on the CC side. Much misinformation to be overcome. We must be as relentless as those against us.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sen. Tomes is probably the best friend gun owners in Indiana have in the state senate. He's been tireless in pushing for our rights and our lawful access to them. He and the group he helped found, 2nd Amendment Patriots, were instrumental in getting our LTCH available with a "Lifetime" option.

It does not surprise me that he called you. He's a good man who wants to stay in touch with the constituents. Also, he's correct that it shouldn't be so hard. It is, due to irrational fears held by ignorant people and those they convince that their fears are based in reality. I don't fault ignorance. I do fault willful ignorance and attempts to both maintain and even spread it.

Thanks for the synopsis, Kelly!

Blessings,
    Bill

Well before Bill pointed out my error in identifying the summer study committee members I hit the send button on a few e-mails. Low and behold today I got a call from Senator Jim Tomes. We talked for about 10 minutes and he is definitely a good friend to Indiana gun owners. Readers Digest version: This shouldn't be so hard in Indiana. The media can be counted on to be against us (BLOOD RUNNING IN THE STREETS!) Don't assume all gun owners are on the CC side. Much misinformation to be overcome. We must be as relentless as those against us.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I have to get it where I can share it here, but I just got my former (I just moved a few towns over this weekend) state Representative's legislative survey... 79% not for Const. Carry (with a poorly worded question) only 17% for this.

This is Fishers-Noblesville-and surrounding Hamilton County.

For now I will try to pressure and learn the ways of my new state representative: Speaker Bosma, now as one of his actual constituents.

Still trying to settle in to the new place, but getting things up and ready for he summer " charge " ...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have to get it where I can share it here, but I just got my former (I just moved a few towns over this weekend) state Representative's legislative survey... 79% not for Const. Carry (with a poorly worded question) only 17% for this.

This is Fishers-Noblesville-and surrounding Hamilton County...

Why doesn't this surprise me?
    Hopefully Indiana won't let a couple of counties dictate policy like our western neighbor.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Why doesn't this surprise me?
    Hopefully Indiana won't let a couple of counties dictate policy like our western neighbor.

Actually we have heard (directly from reliable legislator sources) -
    that the legislative surveys were mostly coming back over 50% against, even in the most rural / pro-2A areas of the state.

... So for good or bad ... it isn't just a few counties.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Actually we have heard (directly from reliable legislator sources) -
    that the legislative surveys were mostly coming back over 50% against, even in the most rural / pro-2A areas of the state.

... So for good or bad ... it isn't just a few counties.

Do we know the specific wording of those surveys?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Do we know the specific wording of those surveys?

No; I do not know all of them. Most of those I have seen (and a few taken on-line) were worded similar to this from my (now former) state rep;

2017-Legis-Survey-Const-Carry_zpsaanyzgbt.jpg

The one representative said his was worded to the effect that "if you don't say yes, your a communist pansy" or something to that effect; but I didn't actually see how that survey was worded.

The misinformation runs deep.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No; I do not know all of them. Most of those I have seen (and a few taken on-line) were worded similar to this from my (now former) state rep;

2017-Legis-Survey-Const-Carry_zpsaanyzgbt.jpg

The one representative said his was worded to the effect that "if you don't say yes, your a communist pansy" or something to that effect; but I didn't actually see how that survey was worded.

The misinformation runs deep.

Context matters, too. I can easily see such a question "pushing" a certain response, especially if the misunderstanding about "prohibited persons" being able to carry is at all prevalent.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Seen this too on Jim's FB page, only problem i see is that PD's will just say they were already in the red so this just helps/ does not replace the money from fees for LTCH.

My rights shouldn`t be turned into privileges granted by the state so they may charge a fee. I don`t care how strapped they are.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Context matters, too. I can easily see such a question "pushing" a certain response, especially if the misunderstanding about "prohibited persons" being able to carry is at all prevalent.

I agree - that's why the summer study - and with it - "we all" - all pro 2A - pro constitutional carry folks - have a big task to change the false public perception and anti-constitutional propaganda on this issue.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I agree - that's why the summer study - and with it - "we all" - all pro 2A - pro constitutional carry folks - have a big task to change the false public perception and anti-constitutional propaganda on this issue.

Very true Bill, very true. (1): Support CC in the summer study. (2): Work on making the 79% against number something less than 50%. Now we just have to figure out how to get there from here.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Probably something along the lines of: the license framework needs to stay because the officers need to be able to ask if a MWAG has one.

Please, that's not intended to be rational, just a prediction of the angle of attack.

Top Bottom