• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not convinced. We're not the first constitutional carry state and the others haven't turned into the wild wild west yet...

I agree. License requirement or not will not change whether a newbie will take carrying serious or not.

Now whether we will see some anti-gunners purposely parading firearms around sloppily, that is yet to be seen? That wouldn't shock though. I could see Mears and Hogsett sending out their "social work policing" crews to stir up controversy? Maybe that silly assed mayor of Zionsville also? Possibly even coordinate with their news crew pals?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When I bought my first handgun, I ended up getting one of those floppy nylon Uncle Mike's clone holsters with a mag carrier attached. Thankfully after carrying it around the house for a few minutes I realized it wasn't going to perform well enough, or be at all comfortable, so I ditched it for something better.

My Dad, a retired IPD Segeant, insists on pocket carrying his LCP with no holster. Says it has a heavy enough trigger pull that he's not worried. He also used to Mexican carry his G23 because he felt a holster was uncomfortable.... :ugh:

Was walking around Kroger a few years ago when I used to open carry a 1911. Kept mine nice and snug against me in a leather OWB holster. I turned a corner and saw a guy wearing a 1911 (or other big metal gun) in a floppy nylon holster. For whatever reason he glared at me like I was doing something wrong. Still haven't figured that one out.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Well people, many of us weren't perfect when we started carrying a firearm but, we learned. After all, how many of us have holsters that we don't use anymore because at the time we bought it we thought it would work great? People will learn or they won't.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My very first ever concealed carry was a walk around the neighborhood with a Ruger SR22 in my coat pocket, no holster, with the safety on and an empty chamber.

We were all dumb once...
    You are not wrong. I am as guilty of it myself as any. I first started carrying when I was on the police department. At this point in my life I had been in the military I had worked in a maximum security prison and I had then went through the police academy. I thought I was a stud who knew it all. I was a fairly good shot in comparison to other police officers but as compared to a good shooter nowadays I was not that great.

At the time during the summer I would appendix carry a browning high power and during the winter I would use a Miami classic shoulder rig to carry a Glock 23 or a Smith & Wesson 4006, despite the fact that my duty issued weapon bore almost no similarities to those guns, being a Sig Sauer 226.

These days I look back on that and think how humorous it is. I will say that my lack of skill comparative to now never ended up in any bad outcomes, although my brashness may have made up for that.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    At the time during the summer I would appendix carry a browning high power and during the winter I would use a Miami classic shoulder rig to carry a Glock 23 or a Smith & Wesson 4006,
    That's a vibe.

multi_ambient.gif

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Other than hardware concerns, which are myriad, just think about the overwhelming majority who have never sought out any kind of formal training what-so-ever; be it basic gun-handling/marksmanship/accuracy or any kind of self-defensive training. THAT's also the category that the majority of INGOers fall into, too.

"I grew up around guns". "I was in the Army". "My dad was in the military and he taught me". "My grandpa was a policeman, he taught me.".

It's damned scary.

Sorry, folks. But just growing up around guns doesn't cut it. Sorry, folks, but being in the armed forces (outside of a few select jobs) doesn't cut it. Having a family member in the armed forces doesn't really cut it. Having a family member in law enforcement doesn't really cut it.

Where ignorance abounds, wisdom is often scoffed at.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Other than hardware concerns, which are myriad, just think about the overwhelming majority who have never sought out any kind of formal training what-so-ever; be it basic gun-handling/marksmanship/accuracy or any kind of self-defensive training. THAT's also the category that the majority of INGOers fall into, too.

I'd say the majority of gun owners, not just INGO members. There are way too many that buy a gun, load it up and put it on their hip who take no training, no advice and who don't even take the gun to the range. I can't tell you how many classified ads include "has been carried, but never fired"... :n00b:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

"I grew up around guns". "I was in the Army". "My dad was in the military and he taught me". "My grandpa was a policeman, he taught me.".

It's damned scary.

Sorry, folks. But just growing up around guns doesn't cut it. Sorry, folks, but being in the armed forces (outside of a few select jobs) doesn't cut it. Having a family member in the armed forces doesn't really cut it. Having a family member in law enforcement doesn't really cut it.

Where ignorance abounds, wisdom is often scoffed at.
    It’s actually deeper than that. There are many who THINK they are skilled but yet too scared to be put to the test of an eval. Consider that. Seems like they would want to know?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's a darn shame that there is no mechanism in the town charter to impeach a mayor. She'd be gone in a minute if voters got a "do over"...

This should be a lesson to all of us. We need a means of holding public officials accountable, all across our state. Why has this not been addressed?

We should be collecting signatures right now to recall Holcomb, along with you folks up there doing the same for your sweetheart. ;)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'd say the majority of gun owners, not just INGO members. There are way too many that buy a gun, load it up and put it on their hip who take no training, no advice and who don't even take the gun to the range. I can't tell you how many classified ads include "has been carried, but never fired"... :n00b:
    I distinctly remember an ad on INGO a couple of years ago. "Carried but only shot once, by accident, beings it's a Glock" Alluding to the widely held opinion that Glocks do discharge when and where they please without assistance. :ugh: Typical sentiment for many that carry a pistol that pretty much says it all.

Top Bottom