In today’s climate are you expanding your self defense tools?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't know if this counts or not?

I picked up a great weapon light in the classies last year. It throws quite a beam, but it's kinda heavy (3 CR123's). It's been living on .22 PCP air rifle for work in the dark. The air rifle ain't light anyway, and it's getting shot more and more lately in the daylight.

QD lever makes moving the light pretty simple, so I screwed a rail section to the door frame. It's quick to use as handheld or tossed on to the M-Rod rail mount.

20210522_181521.jpg 20210522_181459.jpg

Last edited:

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    I'm not necessarily expanding since hicks law reigns at least in my experience. I am getting to the point of not buying more gear just because I can but training with what I have. I've been working super hard to train physically and spiritually which could be my worst weakness in some situations

Nightboard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    New Castle
    I practice a lot more. 2020 and 2021 has shown me just how hard to get ammo can be, and expanded my horizon on caliber choices. While the mainstream calibers disappeared and skyrocketed, some calibers remained the same. So, everyother Sunday and Wednesday I go to the range, and call it church. I take 1 rifle, and 1 pistol. I shoot about 40-60 rounds through the rifle, trying to make each one count. Put about 20-30 through the pistol, and then die inside because i lost my pistol skills, somehow, somewhere. I'm getting it back.

Rifle is where I've had the most improvement. I am now able to group, shooting offhand. Pistol, I'm still lucky if i can just hit the bloody target at 25 yards. I don't know how my skill diminished so much, but I'm working hard to get it back.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I practice a lot more. 2020 and 2021 has shown me just how hard to get ammo can be, and expanded my horizon on caliber choices. While the mainstream calibers disappeared and skyrocketed, some calibers remained the same. So, everyother Sunday and Wednesday I go to the range, and call it church. I take 1 rifle, and 1 pistol. I shoot about 40-60 rounds through the rifle, trying to make each one count. Put about 20-30 through the pistol, and then die inside because i lost my pistol skills, somehow, somewhere. I'm getting it back.

Rifle is where I've had the most improvement. I am now able to group, shooting offhand. Pistol, I'm still lucky if i can just hit the bloody target at 25 yards. I don't know how my skill diminished so much, but I'm working hard to get it back.
    Not being hateful but it is indeed a perishable skill.

Nightboard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    New Castle
    Not being hateful but it is indeed a perishable skill.
    It is. I used to be able to put a bullet where I wanted it. Smooth as silk, lickity split. When I first got back into the hobby, I took my glock. Fired 30 rounds at your cheapo walmart target. Hit it 9 times. I was embarrassed. Sooooo embarrassed.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    It is. I used to be able to put a bullet where I wanted it. Smooth as silk, lickity split. When I first got back into the hobby, I took my glock. Fired 30 rounds at your cheapo walmart target. Hit it 9 times. I was embarrassed. Sooooo embarrassed.
    Hate to say it but I have resorted to a laser type training system, while I am told the sound effects are kind of silly, but last time I went out to the range hitting a the 4 inch gong at 30 yards was easy enough. The results were consistent And repeatable. So I am going to credit the I target pro system. Not an endorsement just sharing what has helped me.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Nothing from me that hasn't been said.

I'm trying to be more self-aware in public places - looking out for stuff that doesn't belong, keeping my eyes up out of my phone, and just watching people.

I'm much more conscious of carrying all the time now. Even the routine trips. I'm still working out a carbine/shotgun carry plan for my daily driver.

Always fitness conscious. I workout at least 3x a week and watch the junk I eat. I'm not 100% clean eating, but a definitely limit the junk food and sweets to about 10% of the time I want something like that.

I'm also trying to be more self-reliant for food. Working on being a much more diligent hunter and gardener. Considering solar. That last bit isn't about SD, just generally being less reliant on anyone for anything.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Brush up on your verbal skills as to be able to talk your way out of a confrontation. Also, you might want to learn some hand-to-hand fighting skills. You might unwillingly find yourself in the middle of something that doesn't rise to the level of deadly force but still requires SOME action to prevent even a minor injury to yourself or a loved one. Your handgun might as well be a paperweight for those instances.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Brush up on your verbal skills as to be able to talk your way out of a confrontation. Also, you might want to learn some hand-to-hand fighting skills. You might unwillingly find yourself in the middle of something that doesn't rise to the level of deadly force but still requires SOME action to prevent even a minor injury to yourself or a loved one. Your handgun might as well be a paperweight for those instances.
    Most times people, are not stupid enough to confront me. But I agree 100% with regards to non lethal options. Nothing says you need to change your plans like 1100 lumens in your face at night.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m not expanding but moreover practicing with what I have. Confrontation avoidance is the the biggest thing though. Sun Tzu said something about the battle not fought IIRC. I don’t get into pissing contests with people that don’t matter to me.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I started carrying more medical equipment, and signed up for a refresher course on how to use it.
    More important is getting into better shape. COVID showed us the worst thing you could be was fat and out of shape. Being fat and out of shape is also a huge disadvantage in a gunfight, and surviving the aftermath. I’ve put on a few extra pounds in recent years so I’m trying to flip that back.
    Agree with more medical equipment...trauma-related specifically! As a former EMT (24 years experience) I have a pretty good idea of what to carry and how to use it (stop bleeding, stabilize a broken limb, etc.), I just need to beef up on some of the equipment and tools.
    Also, personal fitness matters too...that being said, my daughter and I recently joined a gym and I am 3+ weeks into improving my personal fitness level! While I don't expect to be back into my collegiate football and track level of fitness, I do feel the need to be able to jog / run 1-3-5 miles without having to stop, move around in the words fairly efficiently, and be able to get up and down a few hills if need be without being winded to the point of having to stop!
    It's a pro-active mindset to be in shape...that, and calorie and junk-food control!
    Two biggest considerations in fitness are a) your cells need nutrients to function correctly and b) you can't outrun your fork!
    Eat wisely...

Top Bottom